1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Bar closed Mondays & Tuesdays for the Winter

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by kurt, Nov 17, 2004.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I was suprised to see that last night heading to the beach. Sign says "meet us at the 331 instead".

The 331 has a banner that says "closed Wednesdays and Thursdays - meet us at the Red Bar".

The beach is looking very good. Recent windy weather has brought up more clean, fine, white sand. It's like walking on powder snow, scrunch, scrunch. :D

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Any truth that the RedBar was sold and condos will replace it? :?:

3. JC

JC Beach Lover

There is no truth to that rumor.

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Good, I'd hate to see it go. 8)

5. BlueMountainBeacher

BlueMountainBeacher Beach Comber

I'd heard the same rumor, glad to see it dispelled..the building alone is priceless as part of the history of Old Grayton.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unless it's put on the national historic register, it will be gone sooner rather than later. :sosad:

7. graytonrbust

graytonrbust Beach Lover

Butlers Store holds my most cherished memories. Not only the store, but the section that held the old wooden booths, the old pinball machines, the juke box, everyones names carved and written everywhere. Then later the pool tables, (which I actually thought were in the way of the dancing....) The parties on the weekends and almost daily in the summer. The crowds of young people from all around. The street dances.... The drink called "suicide" (every fountain drink available in one cup, for those of you that are not from that era).
    I personnally hope that building stands forever, however, if some misfortune takes it from those of us who will always cherish our times spent there, our memories will live forever.

8. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Not sure who you are, Buster, but until Oli puts up a post confirming what you say, then as far as I'm concerned, the Red Bar ain't going anywhere.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

So let us ask the Man. Oli, what do you say? Is the Red Bar for sale? Any thoughts for the future of the Red Bar? Can you silence these rumours?

Smiling JOe

10. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Looks like the rumour will continue :roll:

11. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

I hope there is no truth to it. There would be an awful lot of upset/disappointed folks if that ever came to pass.

By the same token, I could *kinda* understand it. Parking has become damn-near impossible, plus Oli is operating two other places now.

But the place is an INSTITUTION. I have been frequenting the place since the day they opened the doors. It is extremely depressing to think of driving down Hotz Avenue and not seeing the throngs of people waiting to get in. :cry:

12. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

You know what they say "everything is for sale" I'm sure that place would bring many millions.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I have no clue if Oli, et al. are selling the Red Bar. My gut instinct is that within the next 10 years, you will not find many restaurants in South Walton, except for the San Destin area. Sure there will be a few who choose to hold on, but you will not see new ones going in. The land price is too high, and there more service employees are moving out. Look at Snapperheads, which is for sale. I forget the price, but it sits on 4-5 lots and is listed for somewhere around $3Million I think. (do not quote me on that price). Tell me what restaurant can make money at that price. One would have to spend another half million on a new building alone. Perhaps, if the Mack Bayou Study allows, Chat Holley will become restaurant row. It sure as H_ll won't be 30-A. I don't know if Nick''s, which burned and is out of operation on 30-A, has any plans, but they certainly are not moving fast to rebuild, are they? They make more money and have no headaches, ie employees and customers, by sitting on the land.

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I'll bet Nicks becomes condos. Sitting on top of that hill... Are you kidding me? Nicks Gulf View Condos.... Just a "short" stroll to the beach... :roll: :mrgreen:

15. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Yes Nick's property is to be developed for housing.

Scenic 30-A will continue to get new restaurants - whether wise or not from a dollars and sense standpoint. Many people choose unwisely when starting restaurants. Just look at the house at Grayton boardwalk that just sold by auction. It was built as a restaurant at a high price. Was a very bad idea at the time.

Some that are existing and some new ones will continue to thrive.