Red Fish Taco Closed

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Uneelle, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Uneelle

Uneelle Beach Comber

Yesterday a sign was posted on Red Fish Taco’s door saying “Closed for season. See you Feb. 2020”. Hope they do reopen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. E5150

E5150 Beach Comber

I'd be surprised if they survive there. Space is a proven black hole. That's about the sixth or seventh restaurant attempt there.

3. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

Really only 2. 1st Note was not really a restaurant. It was an attempt at a music venue with food.

4. Uneelle

Uneelle Beach Comber

Actually before First Note, wasn’t there a restaurant/music venue featuring David Seering? If so that’s 4 restaurants in that space, with 5 different owner/chefs (Trébeache was owned by 2 different owners).

5. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

Nope. Seering was supposed to be upstairs, but he backed out before opening. Trebeache was one owner - same owner as Redfish Taco / Stinky's. First Note was a fail from the start - had some good music but people shushed you when you were having a low conversation.

In my opinion with phones nowadays a good place can be anywhere and people will find you. Redfish Taco is great and has an amazing bar it is centered around. There's just not enough people out at night and even in Summer it's mostly families. A family style mexican like a million others in America would do well there. Centered around the same old menu instead of tequila and fancy tacos. A second Stinky's location might work also, sharing labor and food stock.

6. Uneelle

Uneelle Beach Comber

Actually, before Richard opened it as Trébeache, the Williams family decorated, owned and ran it as The Bowery. They took over the space (upstairs and down) after First Note closed. They began only downstairs, the sunk a ton of money into outfitting the 3 upstairs area...the large one of which was outfitted with an awesome sound system. They even tried having the Temptations (or perhaps The Four Tops) as “resident artists,” but it failed.

7. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

Forgot about the Bowery. You're right - big dreams and lots of money. The upstairs is for sale - would make good office space for someone.

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Wasn't the fried chicken place that was open briefly housed in what you would call Trebeache's/RFT's reception area? Seems like it.

9. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Red Fish Taco is popular for lunch and for live music, cocktails etc. Hopeful they will be back for Spring 2020.

10. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Lees, it was on the east most side of the building i believe. I recall being very excited and then i had the product. Trebeache was one of the few places that i actually recommended to folks and then they began having consistency issues. None of the optimists ever to advertise adequately there either. Its a nice space but black hole is right. Wells fargo was rarely crowded there also and now that theyve moved to the Publix center its an utter debacle on payday.

11. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Stinky’s over flow space....bus transfers

12. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

We went to the place when it was Seering's piano bar. Piano shaped dessert. Nicely done. Is Lee's still owned by the Perfect Pig owner? He had an office in Seaside years ago and was the chaplain at the chapel. They moved to the Gulf Place area church, then I lost track of his ministry. Seering was part of the music. He also closed his Seaside office. (I worked with 2 of his Lee's employees in Louisville at KFC HQ. They still live in the 30A area.)
    Ellen

13. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We tried Red Fish Taco once. The tacos were so-so. The salsa and the queso were bland. The bartender seemed to have no memory. He asked for our drink order and turned around and asked us again. Same for our dinner orders. He wasn't friendly, never smiled at anyone. You know, it's just oppressively dark in there, even when the sun is shining brightly outside in the summer. It won't make it unless they move the bar where the stage was, put in some windows where the bar is now, and make it a happy place. And redo the recipes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List