1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Red tide?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Bluznbeach, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

The red tide seems to be pretty bad over in PCB. Is it affecting Sowal, especially the eastern end (around Inlet Beach)? Thanks, and hope everyone's well.

Red Tide Takes a Toll on Beach Workers

2. StepfordWife

StepfordWife Beach Comber

It was noticeable at Rosemary Beach yesterday, everyone in my group had symptoms. Also noticed nearly everyone around us coughing. It was not there today.

3. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Storm might have brought it inshore. North wind that started yesterday probably keeping it off the beach for now.

4. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Achoo, pretty bad!

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Hope the storm takes it back out. It's been bad (for me) for several days now.

6. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Please explain. Have heard of it but haven't 'had the chance' to suffer from it:) We were there, 1st week in September and had the fly issue for the first time. Just returned last Wed 21st and only a brief fly issue - bought Cactus Juice - stopped in a Seacrest Sundries to say hi to Larry:)

We had another wonderful trip except for the 5 bad couples, 2 of which are now homeowners. Went to Seagrove Market and bought tshirts (we were born the same year:). Noted Shorty's closing and Bodega still closed. Noticed Rosemary didn't allow golf carts anymore - except employees. They've really been busy these past view years. People staying there may have gotten tired of going all the way to Seaside as well as those staying in PCB must stop there now. Noticed north of 30A, the torn down retail/restaurant/bike shop. Saw Alys Beach was building - sure sign things are continuing to improve? Tried getting Perfect Pig food to go - no luck. First time, we were discouraged from getting it - one table outside, 3 inside, no one at bar. Next day, we were asked to move so they could seat people at the bar. (We were at the end of it but I guess not enough out of the way. Maybe the visit the vibe will be better.) Noticed the expensive new shopping opportunities (for others) at 98/30A across from Shades. No more Spicey Noodle.
    Had almost perfect water several days, then red flag for the last two. Very quiet at the east end of Seaside. Noticed signs at Coleman Pavilion that no one under 21 allowed on beach after 10:00 pm unless with adult.

Ellen

7. Teresa

Red Tide | SoWal.com - Insider's Guide for South Walton Beaches & Scenic 30A

Red Tide

MyFWC.com
    A red tide is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga (plant-like organism). In Florida, the species that causes most red tides is Karenia brevis (K. brevis).

Red Tide Current Status
    FWC reports on the current status of Karenia brevis blooms using tables, static maps, and interactive Google Earth maps. Archived status maps can be found in our Flickr gallery.
    Red Tide FAQ
    Do you have questions about Florida's red tide? Find the answers here.

Red Tide occurs just about every year but rarely lasts longer than a week or two. Some people are very sensitive to it and can have severe upper respiratory symptoms. I have been tasting it in the air, even smelling it, but definitely coughing and feeling a certain burn in my chest that is only from Red Tide. Some never really notice it, and some are very affected.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  8. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Red colored algae in the gulf, near the shore only?

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

You don't necessarily have to see it to be affected by it.

10. Teresa

Don't think I've ever noticed the color in the water. But I haven't really looked lately.

11. justhavinfun

justhavinfun Beach Fanatic

The news gets worse. I just walked down to my dock on Eastern Lake and there are several small dead fish on the shoreline - We got a great deal of salt water push into the lake from the storm and I can't help but think the red time is the problem

Attached Files:

12. Teresa

Yes, red tide is definitely here. I hope the storm takes it away. Lots of dead fish and eel reported yesterday and today.

13. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

I walked out to our walkover this moring and there was no indication of Red Tide at BMB.

14. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Cough cough cough. It's in the air on BMB..just listen

15. Teresa

I'm in BMB now. And coughing. It's definitely still here dammit!

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Usually we get a north wind and it pushes it off shore, this last storm pretty steadily pushed the crap ashore.

ROLL TIDE!

17. HappySkipper

HappySkipper Beach Comber

I hope you feel better soon!

18. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Hopefully it won't last long. We were over in St. Andrews, near some of the worst recent outbreaks, and didn't notice anything. Of course the stink from the paper mill was another matter...

19. Teresa

20. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Lots of dead mullet, redfish, pinfish, eels, and many other fish around the western lake outfall in Grayton this afternon.