• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Mr. Small Box

"I wonder if the Walton Taxpayer's Association is looking into this activity. My guess is probably not!

Holy Mackeral!

Thanks for the tip. I had not seen or heard of the email until you mentioned it. Not on the Tea Party mailing list. Asked around and finally found someone that had a copy of the email in question. Frank Day and I were in a meeting with the SOE on Friday to discuss his budget proposal and review his plans to add a new precinct and consolidate 12 precincts next year and had I seen it before then I would have asked him about the summary by the original poster.

After reading the email I find no "taxpayer" issue. County employee's are allowed to answer emails to individuals with their thoughts, but I highly doubt that the SOE would agree with Mr. Vorwalds assessment of the meeting.

He is obviously not a history buff ! Probably not going to get alot of Miramar Beach/Sandestin votes if he chose to run ! :lol:

Ding, ding, ding! Winner winner, chicken dinner! Yet he would probably be elected.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I offered to meet you to pay out, it is archived on here somewhere. Of course Paxton should get a turn, but since their districting is set in stone, I'm not sure the acute interest exists there as it does here. You have to admit it looks cowardly to run as far north as is possible following the last meeting. Let me know when you are ready for your hot dog, I do owe it to you.

I guess it could look that way. But between the three maps their district boundaries do change if I am remembering correctly and we had discussed at our first meeting that we wanted to meet in all three areas of the county. If not for the issues brought up at the last meeting, I doubt we would even have had another one and they would have lost out completely. But it is not a conspiracy. I would just as soon go one way as another.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Vorwald's email drips with disdain for the general public and people who spoke at the meeting. Downright rude and unprofessional IMO.

Always great to hear constituent input dismissed as "incessant whining, repetitious drivel, and lacking common sense" with individuals (who take the time to get involved and represented those of us who couldn't attend) singled out for personal attacks.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Could someone post a copy of said e-mail?

To: Mary (Email address redacted); Robert M. Sullivan (Email address redacted); Robert Nelson (Email address redacted)
Sent: Fri, May 27, 2011 10:52 am
Subject: RE: County Redistricting Meeting

Lady & Gentlemen:

In reply to Ms. McQuiston's letter and forwards by Mary & Bob, I offer these observations. Her letter is very well written and to the point. Perhaps she can influence a higher level of common sense at future meetings.

I attended the May 25 meeting at the request of SOE Bobby Beasley (who was in Orange Co., attending certification classes for election supervisors and staff). I expected some discussion, public input, and perhaps a conclusion to the process. Ms. Brenda Rees rose to present her proposal which would have had more significance, had we not had to listen to family history and geographics ad nauseum. Kudos to Ronnie Bell and Robert Nelson for trying to restore the flow of business.

There followed some logical arguments, pro and con, regarding the proposed boundary changes. However, far too much time was allotted to completely unnecessary incessant whining from the apparent Miramar/Sandestin contingent. This meeting should not have been the forum for a continuous chorus of "How Great We Are" and why they must have their very own personal commissioner. The repetitious drivel was downright embarrassing. (The only speaker making sense from the Sandestin area was Robin Weismuth (sp?).

If the Sandestin Homeowners Association ever decides to cooperate with our office, to establish a new voting precinct, it will be because of Robin's efforts.)

I would suggest to the chairman/woman of this committee to place a time limit on speakers to prevent any further filibustering by anyone - presenter or committee member.

Also, in response to those disgruntled Miramarians who must travel "north of the bay" to find their commissioner: if 1) your neighborhood ends up/remains in a non-contiguous district, 2) you become/are still upset about that, 3) use your voice to become/nominate a candidate for commissioner, and 4) vote yourself/your candidate into office. Then "north of the bay" will need to come see you.

Regards,

Bill Vorwald
Absentee Coordinator / RMLO / COOP Manager
Walton County Elections
571 E. Nelson Ave., DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433
PH (850) 892-8112, FX (850) 892-8113
(Email address redacted)

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
It is not being a tool to point out that fairness dictates everyone have an opportunity to speak their mind. This is a big county and it is a long way from Paxton to DFS.

And it is a helluva lot further from SOWAL to Paxton. Since the population that now seems concerned is from the south end of the county, it follows logic that the agents charged by our elected county officials to determine new districts would hold meetings near the locale of the concerned citizens, (aka the "How Great We Are" folks per Walton County public servant extraordinaire Bill Vorwald). Instead, every appearance is that the 'good old boys' from both sides of the bay are trying to limit discussion (please reference 'Beureaucrat' Bill Vorwald's despicable email) and running for the foothills of Paxton. Do you think this is an accident? What an insult it is that people who LIVE and RETIRE on the sweat of the taxpayers play these kind of games. I'm not saying the meeting should be in Seaside or Grande Blvd, heck, hold it in Defuniak it does not get any closer to mid-county than that.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Well, after reading the email/ letter and be it beyond me to be a voice of reason, if he is a county employee he went out of bounds, if he is an appointee to said comittee then he expressed his view and feel as though he has the right. If he was addressing the issue of an extended session by someone or group to dominate the discussion then maybe he has a point, I've seen folks from WCTA do that to the point it was sickening, but I also fault the leadership of the comittee or board for failing to control the meeting so at this point it sounds as though he has provided a remedy.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
To: Mary (Email address redacted); Robert M. Sullivan (Email address redacted); Robert Nelson (Email address redacted)
Sent: Fri, May 27, 2011 10:52 am
Subject: RE: County Redistricting Meeting

Lady & Gentlemen:

In reply to Ms. McQuiston's letter and forwards by Mary & Bob, I offer these observations. Her letter is very well written and to the point. Perhaps she can influence a higher level of common sense at future meetings.

I attended the May 25 meeting at the request of SOE Bobby Beasley (who was in Orange Co., attending certification classes for election supervisors and staff). I expected some discussion, public input, and perhaps a conclusion to the process. Ms. Brenda Rees rose to present her proposal which would have had more significance, had we not had to listen to family history and geographics ad nauseum. Kudos to Ronnie Bell and Robert Nelson for trying to restore the flow of business.

There followed some logical arguments, pro and con, regarding the proposed boundary changes. However, far too much time was allotted to completely unnecessary incessant whining from the apparent Miramar/Sandestin contingent. This meeting should not have been the forum for a continuous chorus of "How Great We Are" and why they must have their very own personal commissioner. The repetitious drivel was downright embarrassing. (The only speaker making sense from the Sandestin area was Robin Weismuth (sp?).

If the Sandestin Homeowners Association ever decides to cooperate with our office, to establish a new voting precinct, it will be because of Robin's efforts.)

I would suggest to the chairman/woman of this committee to place a time limit on speakers to prevent any further filibustering by anyone - presenter or committee member.

Also, in response to those disgruntled Miramarians who must travel "north of the bay" to find their commissioner: if 1) your neighborhood ends up/remains in a non-contiguous district, 2) you become/are still upset about that, 3) use your voice to become/nominate a candidate for commissioner, and 4) vote yourself/your candidate into office. Then "north of the bay" will need to come see you.

Regards,

Bill Vorwald
Absentee Coordinator / RMLO / COOP Manager
Walton County Elections
571 E. Nelson Ave., DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433
PH (850) 892-8112, FX (850) 892-8113
(Email address redacted)

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Hudson. Ms.{sic} Rees actually sent out an email responding to this rambling tripe (which was composed while on the public time clock, not inappropriately it seems). I would like to post it as it sheds clarity that Vorwald's jaundiced account ignores, but since it was not composed on the public computers, I'm not sure she wants this done.