• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I am thinking about a different kind of holiday feast from the traditional fare for Christmas Day, since we will be at the beach this year. I wonder if anyone has ideas and recipes for some tasty regional cooking that will feed a holiday crowd? I would really appreciate input on this. My father, who has been gone for 25 years now, gave us a wonderful tradition for Christmas morning breakfast and it's one that we've lost along the way. He loved to cook un-traditional breakfast foods on Christmas morning. Quail on toast or on a waffle was one dish and we also had scalloped oysters another year. Then there were all kinds of things like coffee cake and cafe au lait (practically unheard of then), and one year we had what he called "breakfast spaghetti," which was another practically unheard of dish, otherwise known as carbonara! One year, we even had Coca Cola warmed in a mug--not bad. We're not trying to create a new tradition this year or even revive that old one. But I want to do something different, amusing, and delicious. Thanks for suggestions!

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Beach Runner said:
Here's our Christmas Day menu. It's regional ( mostly Tuscan)!

I do have a Paul Prudhomme andouille stuffing recipe - would make great use of the regional seafood.
These recipes sound absolutely fabulous! I'm saving them for future use in our house. The beef tenderloin will be a real winner (as we usually cook a lot of pork tenderloin.) And I can't wait to try the arugula, pecan and cranberry salad. I can find arugula in an ethnic produce store but it is expensive, but worth it. Also, I have a couple of Ina Garten's recipe books. She's the best on the cooking channel, I think.
Thanks for all the great recipes!

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
My mother died 25 years ago and I've never been able to re-create her wonderful cornbread dressing recipe, plus I've never had a good recipe. I've tried many, many recipes from Southern Living, Good Morning America, etc., but there's still something not quite right, some little secret or maybe just that right touch of Southern magic. Any help would be a blessing for this "Girl Raised In The South!"

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Johnrudy said:
My mother died 25 years ago and I've never been able to re-create her wonderful cornbread dressing recipe, plus I've never had a good recipe. I've tried many, many recipes from Southern Living, Good Morning America, etc., but there's still something not quite right, some little secret or maybe just that right touch of Southern magic. Any help would be a blessing for this "Girl Raised In The South!"

A few years ago, I did a cookbook for the family for Christmas. In it I included a couple of good old southern dressing recipes. This has been a big debate in our family for years--some like "wet" and some like "dry". Personally, I prefer the dry with lots of gravy. Will send recipes to you...lemme go get them. ;-)

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
Oh my...not a southern tradition by any means (I don't think)...but when I was a child I remember my mother making eggs benedict and (her own yeast dough) cinnamon buns early Christmas morning for breakfast...ohhhh, just the memory makes my mouth water. To this date, I love eggs benedict and cinnamon buns. I must admit I'm a failure at baking anything with yeast in it. I do make pretty great (if I do say so myself) eggs benedict though. Hope I didn't hijack your thread, Donna, but with the season fast approaching...it does evoke lovely memories.

Christmas dinner would be roasted turkey with a bread, onion and mushroom savory stuffing to die for, turkey gravy, salad (sometimes creamy cole slaw instead of a "lettuce" salad), mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, a winter vegetable casserole in a cheese sauce with a butter crumb topping, cranberry sauce (home-made), home-made rolls and butter and a choice of either home-made apple or pumpkin pie. It never varied. Oh my...

Wanted to add, when we were down for the first time early this year, I tried fried green tomatoes and some local favorites, including wonderful shrimp, fish, Royal Reds and BBQ...loved it, but to this day have never had traditional Christmas day fare...I'll be following this thread with great interest...

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oh Destindreamin- broke and bought the PIE tonight. Had to. My mom and her boyfriend came to dinner, and I didn't have anything for dessert except Halloween candy. I didn't think 70 yr. olds wanted Skittles or Warheads. They didn't want any dessert, so now I will be eating the PIE.

Sorry to veer off the thread...it's the PIE.....

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
BR Can you post that chili recipe you were talking about in another thread... Paul Prudhomme's Mandeville Mardi Gras Chili? I would appreciate it. I tried to find it on his web site but he doesn't have it listed at this time. Thanks in advance!!! These other recipes you have posted sound wonderful... I always like to try new recipes for the holiday! Thanks for posting them!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
jdarg said:
Oh Destindreamin- broke and bought the PIE tonight. Had to. My mom and her boyfriend came to dinner, and I didn't have anything for dessert except Halloween candy. I didn't think 70 yr. olds wanted Skittles or Warheads. They didn't want any dessert, so now I will be eating the PIE.

Sorry to veer off the thread...it's the PIE.....
:funn: You gave in! Bless your heart...but don't you feel better now?