• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Pelican Porch

Beach Comber
Jan 23, 2006
We own a second home in Seagrove and thinking of relocating there with my 8 year old son. What is the school situation like, any jobs and not sure of the sense of real community. Do we have alot of full timers?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
You should have jobs before you move here, unless you have plenty in the bank and low expenses. The schools are good. The community is small, too small for some who relocate from the city, The beach life is not for everyone, even if the dream is. Many people (many from Atlanta) have moved here and ended up leaving for lack of opportunity or beacuase they missed the city lifestyle they were used to.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
You should have jobs before you move here, unless you have plenty in the bank and low expenses. The schools are good. The community is small, too small for some who relocate from the city, The beach life is not for everyone, even if the dream is. Many people (many from Atlanta) have moved here and ended up leaving for lack of opportunity or beacuase they missed the city lifestyle they were used to.

Ditto, with special emphasis on the job thing. :wave:

olive

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2005
Would you guys mind sharing some of the in's/out's of everyday beach life? Perhaps some things folks do not typically consider.

It can be difficult on 30A if you are used to the conveniences a city offers. It is getting better but can still be tough. For example, running errands suring your lunch break, doctors appointments, getting you car serviced, etc. You will usually have to go to Destin, FWB, or PCB for stuff like that.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It can be difficult on 30A if you are used to the conveniences a city offers. It is getting better but can still be tough. For example, running errands suring your lunch break, doctors appointments, getting you car serviced, etc. You will usually have to go to Destin, FWB, or PCB for stuff like that.
I know it probably would be hard to believe but after a while the beach loses it's allure. Don't care if I ever go there after 8 yrs here and we live on the beach. Rarely even look out the windows at the gulf. What am I doing here? My wife is a beach nut having grown up on the Jersey Shore. So be sure it is what you really want and not something that you ahve romanticized.

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
We have some friends who have done just that. But, they are moving from one small community to another. We miss them here, but can't wait to see them when we come to the beach. I'll let you know how they are doing. I've tried to introduce them to the Sowal community.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
One must be wary of the sun, it burns. Sand beneath your hooves can be grating. When was the last hurricane in Atlanta? There is Gone With The Wind if you get my/in the drift. :blink:

Crabs. :sosad:

There is more fish to eat and fish to eat you though the latter is very rare or well done. :shock:

If you prefer jelly to jellyfish, return to then thar hills.

Crabs. :eek:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I've noticed that with some of the hurricanes, more damage and more deaths and injuries occured in Atlanta due to flooding and tornadoes than occurred on the coast. Just check the elevation and building quality where you decide to buy or rent. Everyplace has its ups and downs. Decide what makes you most happy and go for it. Many find that happy spot here in SoWal.