• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
I try to stay out of politics around here (but enjoy reading the Sowal forum to educate myself before elections about how corrupt our county governance can be)... but I was truly shocked to read the following email blast this week from our US. Representative. One of the reasons we moved to Walton County was due to nature's beauty here. While I am normally a proponent of less government interference, when it comes to the environment, I'll take all the government protection we can get. Without legislation and enforcement, then I suspect greed would demolish the natural beauty we all adore. If anyone knows of a group in opposition to such legislation, please let me know. I've written to the Congressman about our objections, but do not know what else to do. His logic makes no sense to me when pollution can run downstream from one state to another, so it is not a local or even just a regional issue. And local and state governments do not have the infrastructure or resources or legislation in place to take over environmental protection.

"Dear Friends,

Below you will read some highlights from my week in Washington.

Abolish the EPA

Today, I introduced legislation that will abolish the Environmental Protection Agency. This legislation is necessary because it is the states and local communities that are best positioned to responsibly regulate the environmental assets within their jurisdictions. The American people are drowning in rules and regulations promulgated by unelected bureaucrats; and the Environmental Protection Agency has become an extraordinary offender. Our small businesses cannot afford to cover the costs associated with compliance, too often leading to closed doors and unemployed Americans.

This legislation abolishes the EPA effective December 31, 2018, to allow our state and local government partners to implement responsible policies in the interim..."

-

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
There is actually a demonstration/protest slated for

Thursday Feb 23, at 3:30 PM - 6 PM
Santa Rosa County BCC
6495 Caroline St, Milton, Florida 32570

Protest Matt Gaetz's Town Hall #Resist

Stand together with us as we stand against Matt Gaetz. A member of Congress should work for all of their constituents.

- He has drafted a bill that would abolish the Environmental Protection Agency entirely. He stands with other republicans who deny Climate Change.

- He vows to build the wall.

- He is against the ACA.

- He cosponsored a bill calling for the US to back out of the Unite Nations.

"A bill introduced by Alabama Rep. Mike Rogers earlier this month calls on the US to “terminate” its membership in the United Nations and effectively sever all ties with the organization.

The bill, titled the American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2017, was proposed on January 3. It is cosponsored by a handful of Republican lawmakers, including North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones, Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs, Missouri Rep. Jason Smith, Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie, Tennessee Rep. John Duncan Jr., and Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz.”

Join us to stand against Matt Gaetz and his agenda to work against the people of Northwest Florida. The Town Hall event begins at 4pm, so we'd like to have a large crowd there by 3:30pm.

Signs welcome! Let's keep this peaceful, yet powerful.

www.facebook.com/events/130184257494840/?active_tab=discussion

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
If people are supportive of our environment, where is all the outcry about the storm water run off in Walton? Where is the outcry over postage stamp lots and houses being built that barely fit on them?

Think globally, act locally.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
People like Gaetz are going to ruin us. The wolves are guarding the hen house.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Based on what I read, there is a grace period for states to come up with there own plans to protect the enviroment. The problem is, that states that allow certain things like dumping waste from coal mines and the like or accept certain types of waste that affect the downstream neighbors can't be regulated by say Florida and may not be willing to regulate because of their own special interest.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's beyond obvious that environmental issues extend well beyond state borders, and should be regulated at the national level and even, sometimes in international scope. These people are just disastrous to the health of this planet. All they think about is money.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Based on what I read, there is a grace period for states to come up with there own plans to protect the enviroment. The problem is, that states that allow certain things like dumping waste from coal mines and the like or accept certain types of waste that affect the downstream neighbors can't be regulated by say Florida and may not be willing to regulate because of their own special interest.

Why doesn't the EPA stop this now?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I recognize that the EPA is a huge bureaucratic nightmare and their spending habits of taxpayer money makes C. Jones $6000.00 office furniture look like cheap imitation match sticks in comparison but that doesn't mean I think we need to do away with the EPA.

I think this move to abolish it was hasty and poorly thought out!

What could and should happen is:

1.) Do away with incompetent or fraudulent employees (We have that same problem locally)

2.) Improve antiquated records retention practices

3.) Stop giving away International grants to foreign countries when they should be protecting the domestic environment first.

4.) Stop the burdensome cost prohibitive regulations that ultimately impact taxpayers.

I think leaving the states to their own devices is foolhardy given what a dismal failure Rick Scott has been. For more on his failures see;
www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-the-rick-scott-record-an-environmental-disaster/2196359 published in 2014.