• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I write this in hopes to change your mind and give you reason to "care".

Let's start with the basic principle that there are most certainly "different strokes, for different folks" here in Walton County. If you have a connection, you are treated differently than those that do not. Sure, you can say that may be true elsewhere, but here in Walton County, it is overly abundant and in your face and all too frequent.

Last weekend, a local man with powerful connections, was arrested and charged with DUI. It is alleged that his BAC was OVER 2.0 and that this incident covered the course of 25+ miles (Sowal to DFS) without any interaction from the sheriff's office all that way. The subject was then stopped and subsequently arrested by the local PD in DFS. 331 is under major construction and that night, hundreds of families were in DFS, on that road, at that very time, travelling to and from Christmas Reflections at the lake yard. (More information forthcoming on specific details here).

The subject was released from jail at 4am (according to jail records), which seems like a "quick release" for someone with an alleged BAC over 2.0.

The subject in question is the husband of the ex-Superintendent of Schools here in Walton County. Rumors and allegations of "favors" have followed the ex-sup for some time. It has also been said that this subject (husband) has gotten off from prior arrests involving alcohol.

So, a frequent poster on this site puts up this newsworthy information and people start to comment. The original post is then removed by this site. A second post (made by John G) is made and is titled "What Happened to the post about...". That post continues to get comments and some very revealing information is published (specific to the BAC level of the accused). That post's title is than mysteriously changed from one asking "what happened" to a statement about the arrest of the ex-sup's husband. Not what was originally posted and not in the context meant. Soon after some interesting comments were posted, the entire post is now once again removed and here we are wondering if someone is using influence to keep information from the community as it pertains to a DUI arrest.

(Note: The mug shot posted by another poster is open source material and in no way any violation to have posted it. It might be helpful for those in the industry to know who this person is so that they can avoid over-serving him next time...).

As for the reference to the "Ruder Case", that was another DUI incident from a few years back where the subject was the principal for the Walton Academy (in DFS). This subject was so intoxicated that they ran their truck off the 311 bridge and into the bay. Fortunately for the subject driving DUI, a young man jumped in and saved him. This story was not immediately reported and probably would have remained silent, but the hungry media machine of Mike Adkinson couldn't resist the photo op with the subject and the hero kid. That brought the crash into the spotlight and social media was a buzz. It took effort and time, but it became clear that there was some sort of cover up attempted with that case. Only due to this site and Facebook did the truth emerge and the subject was ultimately prosecuted by the State Attorney. The subject was ironically represented by the Adkinson Law Firm (Yes, related directly to the sheriff) and ultimately got some probation. Many feel that if that incident had not received the attention from the public that it did, nothing would have happened and the subject may drive DUI again, this time killing someone or themselves.

The concern is similar here with this case. Allegations of favors abound and there are still many facts missing from this incident but I hope people reading understand that DUI is a serious crime, it kills and maims. Just ask MADD. Those who enable people to "get off" from a DUI or use influence to prevent an effective prosecution should be tried as criminals.

We have enough bad drivers on the roads here. We don't need more drunks added to the already toxic mix.

(As I attempt to post this reply, this site now shows the post is closed...go figure).

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
Thanks for the explanation.

Who has the authority to edit, alter and close threads here?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The decision to delete the post was mine and mine alone. I don't know any of the people involved. I only care about how our site and our community is portrayed to the outside world. This site exists to share what is good about where we live and the people here. We're not trying to sanitize everything but certain posters have become toxic and it won't be allowed to continue.

If you would like to discuss local law enforcement and DUI regulations feel free. But we don't do public shaming on here and axe grinding is against the rules. Posting name and mug shot of someone arrested just because they are a spouse of an ex employee of the county is an obvious attempt to shame that person on a public forum.

We also have no desire to be a "mug shot" site. There are other sites for that.

SoWal.com has always been about lifting up the community, not tearing it down. And it always will be while I run it.

John G is on vacation from this site for awhile. Whether he wants to return and be a positive force for our community is up to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.