• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton Co. TDC members Questioning Recent Expenditure

More than $200,000 was spent to conduct a financial review on 7-credit cards used during the time under former TDC Executive Director Sonny Mares.

Some Walton County TDC members and bed tax collectors' are coming under fire and questioning a recent agency expenditure.

More than $200,000 was spent to conduct a financial review on 7-credit cards used during the time under former TDC Executive Director Sonny Mares.

An out-of-state CPA firm charged the TDC up to $16,000 dollars per meeting with multiple meetings taking place over the course of the financial review.

Some members saw the spending as irresponsible.

"To spend this much money on a two or three page review on seven credit cards is just absurd. More than $200,000 and as bad as we need money to advertise after the oil spill" says TDC council member Suzanne Harris.

"If the board believes that this expenditure was in fact excessive, inappropriate, or somewhat questionable--they can make note that this expenditure is something they want to flag so to speak for the BCC to review and look at" says TDC attorney Clay Adkinson.

Walton County Finance Director Bill Imfeld signed the negotiation and letter of engagement initiating the financial review.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Couldn't agree more. What a waste of taxpayer money unless something criminal was originally expected. Such did not appear to be the case.

choctawjesse

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2009
When will we wake up?

Politricks at its worst. Basically we spent that money to try and justify the move to dump Mares and replace him with Moliterno. No telling how much they spent on the report they used to justify dumping the jail director and moving the EOC back to the Sheriff. And I wonder how much it cost us to dump the county administrator and move him back to his old job while finding a position for his replacement. And we probably would really be shocked at the true cost of all the retirement packages we have paid out to enable them to change out old, out of favor employees with their political stooges. Funny none of these positions ever get advertised either. Wonder what happened to the national search that was promised us to find the new TDC Director? $200,000 could have financed a hell of a search.

And I bet ya they plead poverty and sing woe is me this budget time because the county is "broke." Same ole same ole. And the crazy thing is they all keep getting reelected.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
For $200K we could have sent 15 locals to college to get accounting degrees!!!

Anyone else want to volunteer as an UNPAID reviewer of all expenditures? The paid personnel don't seem to be doing their job AT ALL!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
For $200K we could have sent 15 locals to college to get accounting degrees!!!

Anyone else want to volunteer as an UNPAID reviewer of all expenditures? The paid personnel don't seem to be doing their job AT ALL!

I wonder how many books and how many library assistants could have been purchased? Probably enough to re-open the library on Saturdays!
Yikes!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
maybe it's time for some on Sowal to run for local office...:cool:

Morning Glory

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2010
$200,000 spent

Politricks at its worst. Basically we spent that money to try and justify the move to dump Mares and replace him with Moliterno. No telling how much they spent on the report they used to justify dumping the jail director and moving the EOC back to the Sheriff. And I wonder how much it cost us to dump the county administrator and move him back to his old job while finding a position for his replacement. And we probably would really be shocked at the true cost of all the retirement packages we have paid out to enable them to change out old, out of favor employees with their political stooges. Funny none of these positions ever get advertised either. Wonder what happened to the national search that was promised us to find the new TDC Director? $200,000 could have financed a hell of a search.

And I bet ya they plead poverty and sing woe is me this budget time because the county is "broke." Same ole same ole. And the crazy thing is they all keep getting reelected.
Shocked is an understatement!! The TDC members should be cautious about questioning Dawn, she will have the BCC replace anyone who questions her. The administrator went back to public works with the same salary. The public works director that stepped down probably kept the same salary too. He and Siegler are best friends (were in business together and both worked at DOT before they came to Walton).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
How much did Sonny Mares reportedly spend on the dinner in question that got him fired? $200,000 could have bought a lot of dinners.