• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Y'all, I used to head up Bloodhound rescue. We temperament test our dogs against other dogs, cats, babies, children, adults and elderly. One sign of aggression and they go into a different program. Period. End of story. They are not adopted out of our program.

Sweet Pea is a rescue and she isn't perfect. She has separation anxiety and we have learned to live with it.

We were attacked by an Akita about three years ago and this resulted in both vet bills as well as medical bills for me. This dog was almost twice the size of the Sweet Pea and the owner claimed he was 'dog aggressive.' We had to go to court and the owner was found guilty of violating the leash law. There is a 'one bite' law here. About a year later, I heard the dog had been euthanized, which meant he had attacked again.

Can you believe we were just attacked again? I get flipped in the air somehow and am now bruised at my hands, elbows, shoulder and rear, etc.....Sweet Pea was protecting me again. This was a huge Mountain Bernese, another breed much larger than the female bloodhound.

As I was laying in the middle of the road, I said, "Get that dog away from me." The owner did not. I repeated myself a couple of times and she finally got the dog away. I then proceeded to tell her that if she couldn't control the dog, then get rid of it. She kept saying, "I'm sorry." Then, her friend chimed in with, "The dog is a rescue!"

"Then, if you can't control the dog, give it back to rescue." Period. I showed the owner my scratches and let her know that Sweet Pea is a rescue as well, but we don't have these issues. Large dogs need to be a on harness that is strong enough for the dog's weight. This gives the owner much more control from a physics perspective. I don't believe in choke collars, but evidently they do work......use the dang things!

Dog aggressive? There is no qualifying 'aggressive' in situations like this. I could have been strolling a baby or had a small child walking with us. Aggressive is aggressive and I am fed up with people thinking they are doing good by adopting animals that are harmful, particularly in a busy, congested city.

If your adopted dog shows signs of aggression, please do the right thing before someone is seriously injured and find a program that takes such dogs. There are farms, fire stations, police stations, working dog programs, etc. Do not let your domesticated animal attack another domoestic animal or worse, a human.

I am extremely upset and angry. Damnit!

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I have a leash that fits my neck perfectly, and as much as I appreciate Sweet Pea's efforts in trying to come to your aid, I insist that I could have protected you more adequately :D

In all seriousness, I hope all your bruises and scraps are minor. That Sweet Peas sure is a sweetheart for looking out for you. There was the case the other day about a woman out on a walk being killed by a pack of dogs. Then her husband went out to look for her and was killed also.

Makes me worry bout ya. Was Sweet Pea injured also? Not that I'm more worried about Sweet Pea than you, just asking :roll:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry you got hurt again, Lynnie. :sosad:

There are some people who just should not have a dog, period. They don't take the time to learn about the breed, their habits, or the time for proper training. I wish more people volunteered their time to rescues or helping to learn about the responsibility associated with pet ownership first. We have laws regarding animal attacks, but none about passing some sort of litmus test for owning one (or owning you).

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Where were you attacked? Walking, dog park etc.

We have issues with LITTLE dogs trying to start fights......................and the attitudes of the owners whose UNLEASHED rat dogs were causing the problems were appalling. Very tempting to just unleash our dogs and solve the problem for good! :angry:

The Scooterhound is a rescue too, and while she may have a host of mental and physical issues from abuse (her former owner has an express ticket to hell), and isn't well trained, she still knows how to behave.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, Lynnie and Sweet Pea! How horrible for y'all. As recent victims of a dog and bench attack, Molly and I wish you a speedy recovery. That dog owner sounds vaguely familiar. :roll:

Thats horrible Lynnie! *hugs* I hope you and sweetpea are okay!! I hate it when people can't be responsible for their pets! At my condo I had an issue where one of the other owners would let their very large dog run around without a leash. I told them I didn't feel comfortable with their dog running around my 9 year old daughter and they ignored me. I had to take a couple of pics and report them to my condo's association before they started following the rules and respecting my rights. Its usually not the dogs fault, its their lousy owners! :dunno:

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
aww, lynnie. you handled it a lot better than i would have, i would've unleashed on someone.:blush: now, go have a drink and feel better soon.

Last edited: