• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's a very sad day in our community when we've lost the legendary, sweet, talented, beloved local, Franko Washboard Jackson. He leaves behind a community that has gained so much from his folk art, music, and goodness.

We love Franko. We love how the entire community came out to Franko Fest at Trebeaché to support his journey when he was first diagnosed with liver cancer. He recovered and continued to make his music and art. Until cancer returned and he made the best of his remaining days. Always smiling. He's joined his Angel Band.

We'll miss him at Stinky's brunch with The Steenos or Duck Phat. On stage with Hubba Hubba every year at The Red Bar anniversary party for 24 years. And the Hubba Hubba Bunny Hop annual Easter performance. We will miss him at Stinky's Fat Tuesday party every year performing with his Twelfth Night Mardi Gras Band. May these local musicians carry on and keep our traditions alive for years to come.

If you are visiting Stinky's Fish Camp you'll see an exhibition of his folk art on display.

Our condolences go out to his wife Eileen and all of Franko's family and many friends and fans.

Teresa and Kurt
SoWal.com

150816-stinkys-541-3000_0.jpg

150816-stinkys-539-sowal-2000.jpg Hubba Hubba.jpg

Franko 30A Angel Band piece_0.jpeg

Northwest Florida Daily News
Walton Sun
Saturday Oct 11 2019

Condolences pour out for beloved local musician ‘Washboard’ Jackson

As the condolences poured out online Saturday morning following the death of beloved local musician Franko “Washboard” Jackson, a common thread seemed to connect each one.

That’s because Jackson, who played a brand of music described as “southern-fried funk and rhythm and blues” had a very particular effect on the people whose lives intersected with his.

“To say he was beloved would be a gross understatement,” said Jackson’s longtime friend and fellow musician Bill Garrett. “It’s hard for the people who knew him to imagine a world without him ... that’s the part that’s really inconceivable.”

Jackson, 68, battled cancer in recent years and underwent a liver transplant in that same stretch. He died Friday night around 6 p.m., surrounded by his family. A true musician until the end, he played in public for the final time last Sunday at Stinky’s Fish Camp in Santa Rosa Beach – his regular brunch gig.

Jackson, who began playing the washboard in the mid-1970s, moved to Fort Walton Beach from New Orleans in 1986 with his wife, local artist Eileen West, and teamed up with Garrett and Duke Bardwell to form Willie and the Wahoos, which eventually morphed into Hubba Hubba.

Bardwell, a bass player, famously toured with Elvis Presley in the mid-1970s and his team-up with Jackson later in his career pops up on most of his biography pages.

Nikki Hedrick wrote an in-depth profile of Jackson for a Destin publication in 2016. She first met Jackson and West when she was in middle school.

“He was just ... there’s only one of him, and he was absolutely larger than life,” Hedrick said. “The moment you met him or knew him, if it was just five minutes or 30 years, he became part of your narrative. He was one of those type of people.”

For being a great musician, Jackson seemed to have another quality that came up just as much as friends crafted their own tributes online.

To that point, he was unfailingly kind to everyone he met.

“To me, he was a real ray of light and everywhere he went, every room he walked in was better for it because he just lit it up,” Garrett said, choking back tears. “I hope when my time comes to face the abyss I do it with the same grace, grit and bravery as Washboard Jackson did.”
Condolences pour out for beloved local musician 'Washboard' Jackson

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The Red Bar
Facebook post Oct 11

Dear Franko,

You are going to be joining your new band , The 30A Angel Band .
We want to thank you for the love that spread everywhere you went .

Singing, Scratching the Washboard or painting you were an Ace.

We worked with you for 24 years , you played with Hubba Hubba every year for 24 years straight.
What an honor for us.

You also worked in the RedBar kitchen for 6 years with Calvin Bradley , what a team you two were .

And you loved each and every one of us,and we loved you back man !

We cry today,but we know you are
Jamin’ with your Friends,at peace and without pain,and for that ,
we rejoice!
We wish to send our condolences to Franko’s best friend Eileen West,
And the family.

We will love you forever Pal .
❤️❤️

This wonderful pic was taken by
Shelly Swanger, the greatest Rock Star photographer In the land.
Girl I was going to ask for your permission....

FB_IMG_1570920183917.jpg

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Franko was a unique individual and a kind soul. I will miss him. I'll never forgot the first time I saw him having a blast on his washboard with a huge smile and an intense, yet faraway look. He was truly a part of our community and will be missed by all.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Second Line Celebration at Stinky's Fish Camp
Honoring Franko Washboard Jackson
Sunday Oct 20 @ 2pm

There will be a Second Line Celebration on Sunday, October 20 at 2 PM at Stinky's Fish Camp honoring Franko Washboard Jackson. A fitting celebration for Franko who was a New Orleans street musician before adding so much joy to the lives of Walton County locals in the 80's by moving here.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Beachcomber

In Memoriam: Franko “Washboard” Jackson
Published on October 24, 2019

Photo by Shelly Swanger.

We have lost a giant. I met Franko “Washboard” Jackson somewhere around 1987 when a mutual friend introduced us at Docie’s Dock at the former Staff’s Restaurant in Fort Walton Beach. I had a regular Friday and Saturday gig there. Franko started coming and jamming with me. We have been playing together in many configurations ever since.

Anyone who’s ever met Franko knows he was one of the most genuinely kind people ever. This is inevitably pointed out in every one of the innumerable tributes that have poured out since his passing. We almost never saw him when he was not smiling, and he was without fail the happiest person in the room with the best, most positive attitude. He was my hero.

It was with great sadness that we found out that Franko had cancer somewhere around a year ago. It spread quickly. Even while this was going on, and knowing his eventual fate, whenever I called or visited him he was still that same Franko…all big smiles and hearty laughs. As usual, he was always the one with the most positive attitude in the room and the strongest of all those who knew and loved him.

It was only Sunday, October 6, when Franko made an appearance at his regular brunch gig at Stinky’s Fish Camp and sat in with his long-time bandmates Bobby and Lisa Steeno to sing his song “Sweet Potato Pie,” which had become an instant local favorite. Although frail, he was, as usual, all smiles. Just a couple of days later his health took a sudden turn for the worse, he became bedridden and then passed peacefully and mercifully the following Friday.

I spent much of Franko’s last three days with him at his home. A steady diet of our band Hubba Hubba’s music played in the background at his request. Although at times he may not have seemed awake, I spoke to him as if he were in hopes that he could hear me. I asked him if he realized how beloved he was by so many. His wife Eileen said he didn’t. I wanted to impress that upon him.

The world is a bit dimmer without the ray of light that was Franko. He was an accomplished folk artist who did several paintings of “Angel Bands,” musicians who have passed away. It’s hard to believe that Franko has now joined the angel band.

– Bill Garrett

In Memoriam: Franko “Washboard” Jackson

Obituary
Frank Steven Jackson
November 29, 1950-Oct. 11, 2019
Frank Steven Jackson, better known to everyone as Franko “Washboard” Jackson, passed away peacefully Friday, October 11, at home with his wife and family.

Born in Oklahoma City, Mr. Jackson’s family soon moved to Atlanta, where he spent his early childhood. The family moved to Dallas when Mr. Jackson was 14, and from there moved to the East Wind Community in Missouri as a young adult. At East Wind, he discovered his joy—washboard music.

“Washboard” Jackson’s life was rich and deep and never uninteresting. He hitchhiked to New Orleans from the commune to be there for the birth of his sister Cindy’s first child. He wound up playing washboard with the Bad Oyster Band and performed at the New Orleans Jazz Festival several times in the mid-1970s. He never went back to the commune, instead playing the streets of the French Quarter and busking with musicians from all over the world.

In the early 1980s, Washboard Jackson and the Hot Damn Jug Band was formed from those street performers to play the 1984 Louisiana World’s Fair from beginning to end. That band went on to play festivals and gatherings in New York, and they recorded a jug band CD that is still available.

Hubba Hubba, the big electric blues band, came together in the ‘90s after Washboard moved to Florida and brought a tune with him that proved fateful. He taught Bill Garrett “Bayou Country,” written by Duke Bardwell, and by strange coincidence, all three ended up meeting. They started playing music together, adding Doug “Dr. D” Dickerson and Rick Arnett, and became a long-time favorite band throughout Walton County and the 30A community.

Around 2000, Mr. Jackson began painting primitive memory paintings of his family and musicians that influenced him. His first solo show at the Toulouse Women Gallery in 2004 was a success and advanced his reputation as a folk artist. That, and the fact that his wife Eileen had a folk art gallery—he said he slept his way to the top.

Mr. Jackson’s favorite gig was at Stinky’s on 30A, where he played every Sunday at brunch with his dearest friends Lisa and Bobby Steeno. He has his own gallery there, where Jim Richard and Stan Meadows exhibit his artwork in the main room.

A memorial is forthcoming. Some of Washboard’s ashes will be placed in the foundation of the Red Bar in Grayton Beach, where Oli Petit hired him to work in the kitchen, and then tapped Hubba Hubba to play the restaurant’s annual anniversary blowout.

A celebration of the man’s life will be held Thanksgiving week. Details will be announced on the Franko “Washboard” Jackson Facebook page. You can find some of his original songs on YouTube, as well as many covers with his musician friends.

Mr. Jackson is preceded in death by his adoring parents Elizabeth and Frank. He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Eileen West; the two children he helped raise, Jeffre Lynn West and Scott Lucas West; Scott’s wife Cheryl; grandchildren Caslen West, Tucker and Lillia Luinstra, and Jackson Heath; sisters Cindy Mounger and Lisa West; Lisa’s husband Brad; brother Rob Jackson; nieces Kaitlyn West and Angela Connelly; nephews Kevin West, Mart Mounger and Paul Mounger; and many, many wonderful friends.