Restaurant, cafe, coffee joint suggestions...

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Jim Boothe, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

We will be down there for 9 days, in two weeks. It's our third straight year along 30a. Looking for a few popular suggestions between Destin and PCB, preferably South Walton. We are staying near Gulf Place this year. Give me two favorites to dine, drink, hang out, etc, etc, and why they are special. Thanks!

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Louis Louis order the fish with cheese grits and spinach, in my humble opinion the best dish they serve and the tuna dip is good as is the bread pudding and the crab cakes. If you like to cook fresh seafood, Shrimpers Seafood Market on Hwy 98, awesome customer service. Redds Fueling Station and you can hang out anywhere especially in Gulf Place. Enjoy your stay, watch the beach flags and swim where the lifeguards are cause I don't want to meet you under bad circumstance.

3. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I'm looking for. This is our first year of staying on the west side of 30a, so we're not as familiar with it as say, Seaside to Rosemary Beach. As for the swimming, paddle boarding, etc.....We love the ocean and waves, but also try our best to have fun sensibly.

4. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Preacher's, La Playa, Sunrise Coffee, Cafe Bolo, Perfect Pig, Pizza By the Sea, Highland House, The Vue ($$)..... all super close.

Local Catch, Marie's Bistro, Johnny McTighes, Nicks, Blue Mountain Creamery (Try the banana pudding ice cream), The Bowery, LaLobas Bakery. Within stumbling home distance. Don't ask how I know!

5. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

m1a1mg, you are absolutely correct and I occasionally stumble home from some of the above, particularly Marie's and McTighes.

6. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Marie's $1.95 margaritas , Bowery, Basmati's, stinky's

7. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

It is Nick's that have the $1.95 margaritas and yes, they are good.

8. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

All of the above! Especially Local Catch Bar and Grill, Marie's Bistro! Louis Louis is a must for dinner. May be the best in town.

Don't forget South of Philly.. The best little hidden gem in SoWal.

Basmatis is a real local favorite for Asian inspired food, lunch and dinner. Excellent lunch prices, an early dinner special. So good we visit at least a few times a week.

Nick's in Blue Mountain Beach is a real local tradition for great Seafood. Love it so much.

Pick up some steamed shrimp at Goatfeathers in Blue Mountain Beach .. The best in town by far.

9. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

Dining: I second Louis, Louis and Local Catch. Also like Great Southern and The Marigny.
    For cocktails... you have to go to Bud & Alley's for a drink at sunset.

10. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

If you like live music check the SoWal Music Calendar to see who is playing at Marie's, Local Catch, La Playa, The Red Bar, Stinky's, Pandora's, Redds, etc. Don't forget about Baytowne Wharf, filled with family events and activities, also night time fun, music, etc.

11. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

Thanks for the suggestions, we will be sure to check out as many as possible.

12. ReginaR

ReginaR Beach Comber

As a fellow Michigander who owns a home by Oyster Lake near Gulf Place I say " Welcome" to the west end of 30a. You can walk to some of the best food in south Walton. The Vue on 30a at the beach club just across the road from Gulf Place has the best view on 30a and the food is amazing especially the pistachio crusted grouper. Stinkys Fish Camp is great for fun and seafood. We like to sit at the bar for raw oysters. The daily specials are some of the best seafood I have ever eaten. The eateries in Gulf Place are all good as well as Cafe Bolo and South of Philly within a block. I bet Perfect Pig and Preachers right there at Gulf Place are good but they are new and I have been here shoveling snow since they opened. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

13. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Make sure the guy you called a jackass doesn't have familia that works there. We are a small town....

14. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

Jeff, it's time to let it go. I'm sorry that your opinion differs from mine. I just don't see the harm, unless peeps are getting crazy or loud, or camping out in front of his house.

15. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

Thanks ReginaR. What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in Rochester (Oakland Co).

16. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Already let it go muscle.

If I recall you first post on this site was an attack on a local.

Mistake. Perhaps you could rephrase your comment / opinion to not be so personal...

17. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Yeah Jeff get over it... moving on!

18. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

The Bay at the southern end of the 331 bridge is good for lunch if you want to sit outside and enjoy the view and good food.

19. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

My gosh, all the guy was asking about was good restaurant recommendations when he and his family come down for a visit. Now you are threatening him with your " 30-A mafia" familia crap. Well that makes you another LOCAL a$$hole. Add that to the "chair vendor I'll do what I want to" quote makes for another a$$hole. I wouldn't blame the guy for finding a more pleasant place to vacation. And anyway he was right in the assessment about the beach hog.

20. Jim Boothe

Jim Boothe Beach Comber

Jeff, I come down to vacation in that area once a year, I'm certainly not a local, or someone with a finger on the pulse of beachfront home ownership. That said, I think this guy has taken it a bit too far, and littered up the beach with his ugly signs and ropes. Could you imagine what an eyesore it would be if everyone started doing that? Buying a beachfront home in an area like that, comes with the assumption that beach goers will often be traversing the property, and some may linger longer than others. I'm sorry but, if he doesn't like that, then buy a home secluded in the woods. I called the guy a "jackass" because that's exactly what I think he is. I don't care if he's a local, or part of the "30a mafia," as someone alluded to. I think he is setting a bad precedent for others in the area, and ruining what makes this area so special in the first place. I'm sorry if my words upset you, but I stand by them. Good day!