• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I just started reading "Green Empire: The St Joe Company and the Remaking of FLorida's Panhandle" about St. Joe's development of the Panhandle, including the South Walton area. I'm only on chapter 1, but can you tell me if the book is a really honest view of St. Joe? I bought the book because I read about it on this site (thanks!) and love 30A. I figured it would help me understand the history, present, and future of the area since we recently bought property in the area.

Do the authors of the book have any personal interest or connections to support or not support St. Joe's? Are they pretty much unbiased? It's a good book so far and I want to know whether I'm getting a partial story or pretty much a balanced story.

Thanks!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I read about the book on this forum and so far think it's excellent. It gives a perspective on the way the area used to be (all of the panhandle, but the first chapter is all about S. Walton and the development there -- so far, a good review considering development is going to happen and cautious optimism for the future) and the impact of development on the panhandle's future. It is written by two women who live in Panama City. As long as it's a balanced book, I'd recommend it.

I have "The Way We Were" but not the other one. I was actually trying to figure out where to get more copies of the book to leave at our places for people to read-- so thanks! I found my copy on ebay when I was just browsing around there for things from Florida.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I've been working my way through this one too. I'd say the authors have a traditional academic bias which is skeptical on big development with good reason. I think they are associated with one of the major universities.

The big message of the book is that things are never gonna be the same again ... which I think I could have figured out myself. But the background it gives on St. Joe, how it got its holdings and transformed itself into a development powerhouse, details behind the airport proposal and prospects for the future are all pretty fascinating.

We've got the other books Kurt recommended too and those are great. One of them had a description of the life of family that operated the 331 drawbridge until it was no longer a drawbridge.

Another book I'd recommend is called "Building on Sand" which gives a cautionary tale and questions the sanity of gulf-front development over the long haul.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I thought the book promoted very cautious optimism. It did make me want to invest in St. Joe's (as a shareholder) because it seems they have a long-term plan that will take at least a decade (if not more) to play out and they're working on all of Northwest Florida. The biggest risks it seems to me are (1) the environment which they seem better than others at protecting, (2) any potential unethical behavior at the top that could cause big problems (these are happening with many companies these days so it's hard to know which executives/boards of directors are involved in funny business, (3) their ability to keep a reputation as designing communities for people with different incomes (right now it seems like they focus on high-end), (4) the demographic changes (how many people will be able to afford very expensive housing if that's what they focus on, (5) their ability to add infrastructure to "the great northwest" as they like to call it. Even with all those concerns, I'm likely to invest in St. Joes soon based on what I've seen in the local area, my reading of the book, and a little (just a little) online research. Any opinions? They've done very well over the past few years. Do you see any other risks?

I read the book. IMHO Paula's review is right on.
Especially agree with points 3, 4 and 5.
Anyone ever see the John Sayles movie, Sunshine State? It is a bit too long, but for me its themes resonate a bit with Green Empire, in terms of the way SoWal used to be, and the way it might be in the future.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Sunshine State very much hits home if you live in the area. Lots of little touches to the movie that make it fell like the writer and director really did their homework.

For #3, St. Joe is building more middle class and moderate income housing in others areas, just not Walton County. Hopefully at some point they'll join up with Sandestin and work on some service industry employee housing issues that are only getting worse here.

I wish St. Joe well. Development's going to happen, and they seem to be making more of an effort to do it right and well than most developers would. They're just not my cuppa. We end up in Grayton Beach pretty much every Sunday in the summer because it's a real place, quirks, warts, nice dogs and all. But we'll very rarely go east from there because Watercolor and Seaside are just a little too movie set for our tastes. (and yeah, I think there's a whole deeper irony with Seaside getting used for Truman Show)