• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Taking the natural approach

BY JOYCE OWEN SUN REPORTER

FREEPORT ? The views along the nearly completed 1,000-footlong boardwalk leading to Four Mile Creek offer visitors a glimpse of life as it is planned for Riverwalk, Freeport.
?Riverwalk is a community built on 175 acres of virgin property that is the first development to bring life back to Freeport?s roots ? returning life back to the water,? developer Jerry Miller of the Miller Group said. ?The property is centered around a waterway, Four Mile Creek, which leads to the Choctawhatchee Bay.?
Although we live in an area surrounding by water, ?the water is so under-utilized,? he said.
However at Riverwalk, Freeport, life revolves around water.
The development, which will have 500 homes at build out, has been designed to enhance living near the water.
?Unique to the property,? Miller said, ?will be 100 proposed boat slips with deep water access. Riverwalk property owners will be able to acquire a boat slip on a first come-first serve basis.?
The property borders Four Mile Creek with its deepwater canal offering opportunities for fisherman and boaters, including canoers and kayakers, to keep boats nearby at the Riverwalk Wharf.
After a day on the water, families can gather around two outdoor fire pits at the Fisherman?s Exchange where fisherman can spend the evening sharing tall tales of great fishing adventures.
Homeowners are never far from water, even the street names like Speckled Trout Lane, Old Canoe Way and Angler Drive reflect a lifestyle that evokes life near the water. Then homeowners can retire to residences that continue the feel of a river camp with the community?s own classic Florida style Riverwalk architectural style that includes galvanized roofs, exposed rafters and screened porches.
Through a boardwalk system, owners will have easy access to the 500-seat Crescent Moon Amphitheatre, a preserved green space where concerts will be held. There?s also a swimming pool, kid?s pool, cabanas and pergola at South Park within walking distance.
Construction on the first homes is expected to begin in 2007. The lots range in price from $139,900 to $229,000.

Riverwalk, Freeport goes on display

The Miller Group, the developers of Riverwalk, Freeport held an open house on April 12 offering nearly 500 visitors tours of the 175-acre property off U.S. Highway 331 just south of Freeport. Whether touring by land or boat, the emphasis was on the natural environment of the property. With expansive nature preserves between the development and Four Mile Creek, the deepwater canal that leads to the Choctawhatchee Bay, the tour guide indicated wildlife still roams the land. He pointed to a beaver pond that will be retained, and hundreds of trees that will be saved. ?We are trying to save everything we can,? Don Harris, one of guides, said. The project will have 2,700 feet of waterfront on the creek with a wharf for homeowners? boats. There will be four miles of trails, sidewalks and boardwalks wide enough for a golf cart. The sidewalks will be crushed stone and the trails will be covered in bark mulch. The emphasis at Riverwalk is on the outdoors where owners can explore the pristine area while enjoying the opportunities for hiking, boating, fishing and swimming.

turtle812

Beach Comber
Aug 25, 2006
What's going on with this project. I know they have a website and have started to take reservations on the 1st phase, but how many reservations do they have and are they going to end up developing the 500 lots as planned.

Is anyone else concerned about the future supply/glut of lots and homes in Freeport? Where's the demand?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What's going on with this project. I know they have a website and have started to take reservations on the 1st phase, but how many reservations do they have and are they going to end up developing the 500 lots as planned.

Is anyone else concerned about the future supply/glut of lots and homes in Freeport? Where's the demand?
The demand is in the future. With the rising costs of insurance and the lack of companies issuing policies, Freeport will grow in the future. However, it will not be over night. There is much supply in Freeport, and even more potential for supply as farm land is broken into residential and commercial lots. The PCB airport will be fairly close, only 20 minute drive, and you will be out of the way of the hurricanes. Neighborhoods will develop and Freeport will become a real town. Right now, it is trying to become a town, but it needs more people to do so.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
When I drove by yesterday I thought I saw workers taking the entrance signs down...anyone know?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not at liberty to discuss, nor do I know all the details, so I don't want to distort the facts.

Popa32

Beach Crab
Apr 24, 2008
I see it has been sometime since a post was made about this project. Does anyone know the latest status?