• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Who is Bob Hudson ?

(Please forgive this short introduction - I will be back often during the upcoming campaign. But wrobert mentioned to me that I should make an introduction quickly)

Pat and I retired here 7 years ago from Dallas, Texas. This was the last stop on a career of over 30 years with the largest male youth serving organization in America. In my last 5 years with that organization I seved as the Director of Fiscal Management with a large staff that was responsible for the accounting functions in 343 locations in the US and 7 foreign countries.

We chose Walton County and specifically Santa Rosa Beach as our last residence. Like many of you we vacationed here for over 30 years renting units along the 30-A corridor and our family grew to love this area.

I spent my first 2 years of retirement fishing almost daily. I caught enough fish to last a lifetime and found a new interest in the Walton County Taxpayers Association. I have served on that Board for almost five years. I have attended over 80 percent of the Board of County Commissioner's meeting's ,Walton County School Board meetings, South Walton Fire District and even the South Walton Mosquito Control Board meetings. I have served the WCTA as Treasurer and as it's webmaster. My primary focus with them has been in the financial analysis area. I consider that organization to be the premier "taxpayers advocate" organization in Florida. It has existed for over 28 years and has served Walton County taxpayer interests well. That is where I initally met wrobert as he was a member of that organization when I was asked to serve.

I have been interested in politics all of my life. I truly enjoy the American process of government. I once served as a School Board member for 5 years. I have worked with Cindy on many issues.

Although I was asked by many to run for the District 5 Commissioner position, I made a decision to support Cindy in her re-election. I met with her personally over a year ago and told her that I would not run against her. I was in a meeting with her less that 2 weeks ago and restated my intention to support her.

Tuesday of this past week everything changed. I received a call informing me that Cindy had made a decision not to seek a second term. Like many of you, I was shocked by her decision. I was more shocked by who was left in the pre-qualified pool.

I decided that I would pre-qualify.

I am currently securing the necessary 343 candidate petition's required. This is a tremendous task in a 9 day period.

I will continue to check this site daily, but I must spend the time to actually have my name added to the ballot. After that is done I will answer any and all questions that are posted on this site.

My cell number is 543-2378. Have a question ? Call me.

I am attaching a .pdf candidate petition - if you are interested in helping please call me and I will pick it up or mail it to my address:

View attachment 8802

Thank you !

Bob Hudson
121 Fairway Drive
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl

hudsonSRB@gmail.com

Last edited:

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Bob, my printer is down for the count, but if you have some petitions handy I could drop by to pick up a couple and see if I can get some sigs for you :)

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Is this the same Bob Hudson that was so vocal about the SeaBreeze Jazz Festival? If so, then no thank you!

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes , I am the individual that spoke before the County Commission after the organizer of the SeaBreeze Jazz festival had already signed a contract to move the venue to Bay County. I was asked by the County Administrator to discuss the issue of enforcement of the parking regulations and sound ordinance brought up within our neighborhood association. I spoke on their behalf when we were informed by the Code Enforcement Department that the venue operator had not applied for the necessary permit to exclude the event from enforcement of the sound level provision of the sound ordinance and had no plan for parking that had been approved and that they were leary of enforcing the provisions without the Commissions input. All 5 voted to ask the Planning Department to work with the operator of the event to resolve those issues.

I clearly explained the neighborhood's concern over the advertisement that appeared in the paper stating that people should park on the bike path on 393. (The prior year people were forced to literally park on grave sites in Gulf Place Cemetary)

As the event has grown each year the lack of parking sufficient to accomodate the increasing crowd and the increasing sound levels has become an issue with neighboring citizens. ( Sound levels 1/2 mile away were recorded at 94 decibels last year)

I have enjoyed the festival in person for many years. The real issue here is the lack of an adequate venue for events such as this. Tourists and local people enjoy and expect events such as the Jazz Festival. Regretfully we have not had a vision to provide an adequate site for these events.

The truth is simple - the Seabreeze Jazz festival outgrew the venue and the sponsor was forced to seek a location that would allow for the event to continue to grow. Poor planning on someone's part in my opinion to not locate and build a venue in Walton County.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I went to the Jazz Fest last year and didn't have a problem w/ it being too loud. It was actually a problem that we couldn't hear the music over a neighboring vendor's generator.

IMO moving the festival (and similar events) out of the neighborhood because of parking (no parking signs and enforcement could solve that since there were already shuttles to lots at Grand Boulevard etc.) & noise is a bit of an overreaction. High quality musicians performing once a year on a weekend and on a date know well in advance is not noise pollution.

One of my pet peeves is that a few people ruin it for others - which is why I can no longer enjoy music or extended hours at the Red Bar, Bud & Alley's, or Cerulean's and am waiting for the season's first arrest of a toddler on a "private" beach.

I can definitely see why there might be complaints about the parking as the number of people/visitors with no manners grows each year, but I also noted that people didn't park in the few areas where there were temporary "no parking" signs.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The truth is simple - the Seabreeze Jazz festival outgrew the venue and the sponsor was forced to seek a location that would allow for the event to continue to grow. Poor planning on someone's part in my opinion to not locate and build a venue in Walton County.

I heard this just today from an insider's perspective.

Here's a bit more about the move - [ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=22174"]Seabreeze Jazz Fest - SoWal Beaches Forum[/ame]

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Yes , I am the individual that spoke before the County Commission after the organizer of the SeaBreeze Jazz festival had already signed a contract to move the venue to Bay County. I was asked by the County Administrator to discuss the issue of enforcement of the parking regulations and sound ordinance brought up within our neighborhood association. I spoke on their behalf when we were informed by the Code Enforcement Department that the venue operator had not applied for the necessary permit to exclude the event from enforcement of the sound level provision of the sound ordinance and had no plan for parking that had been approved and that they were leary of enforcing the provisions without the Commissions input. All 5 voted to ask the Planning Department to work with the operator of the event to resolve those issues.

I clearly explained the neighborhood's concern over the advertisement that appeared in the paper stating that people should park on the bike path on 393. (The prior year people were forced to literally park on grave sites in Gulf Place Cemetary)

As the event has grown each year the lack of parking sufficient to accomodate the increasing crowd and the increasing sound levels has become an issue with neighboring citizens. ( Sound levels 1/2 mile away were recorded at 94 decibels last year)

I have enjoyed the festival in person for many years. The real issue here is the lack of an adequate venue for events such as this. Tourists and local people enjoy and expect events such as the Jazz Festival. Regretfully we have not had a vision to provide an adequate site for these events.

I'm certainly not blaming you for the move of the Jazz Festival and I don't disagree with the size issue of the venue. But many people are aware of how you conducted yourself during the whole event and I for one am certainly unimpressed. As far as permitting goes, no event has ever had to have one until this years Jazz Fest and there hasn't been one issued since. Yet, there are still festivals in this area nearly every weekend that fall under the same guidlines. Why haven't you made sure that all of those events have been brought up to code? Does the upcoming Seaside Jazz Festival have all of the proper permits? Have you checked? I bet not, because it is not in your back yard and you aren't concerned. I personally don't know whether the SSJF has everything in order but again, I haven't appointed myself as a watchdog of that sort of thing nor do I have political aspirations.

All I'm saying is this, if you are going to work so hard to make sure that one group tows the line for whatever reason, then you should at least be fair about it. If you want to be a politico then let us know that you will do a good job by being evenhanded and not just serving your own needs.