• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here is the (in)famous article from the Fall 2007 Rosemary Thymes
EXTRA SECURITY HIRED FOR BEACH AND BEACH WALKOVERS

"Just too many people" is the refrain that has been heard all over south walton this summer as large numbers of visitiors clogged roads and crowded beaches.

In Rosemary Beach the problem is particularly acute at at the West Water Street access on the town's west side. after hearing complaints from homeowners, town manager Jim Bagby decided to find out just how many are too many.

A revealing count was taken on Memorial Day Weekend. On Saturday and Sunday, the 134 and 154 peaple, respectively, were turned away from W. Water Street. On Monday, when many visitors had already left, 80 people were still turned away in a five hour time period.

"We are trying to balance being good neighbors with the homeowners' rights," Bagby said. "After spending over $2 million on rebuilding walkovers and buying sand and sea oats the homeowners should not have to fight for space on the beach," he said.

"Our position is that our beach is a private beach but we want to be a welcoming, vibrant town, the center of activity in southeast Walton County. The challenge is to balance the two."

On September 10, the Rosemary Beach board of directors voted to hire security to enforce the privacy of the beach and the beach walkovers.

"We will be sending letters to remind our neighbors," Bagby said, "that the beach walkovers and the beach are private. To avoid embarrassment or calls from angry renters, they need to let them know where the public beach access and the Seacrest access are located."

No one was available for comment from the Seacrest Beach community, Rosemary's nearest neighbor to W. Water Street. However, according to their website and to local vacation rental agents the sole b each access available to Seacrest Beach owners and guests is an easement through the Sunset Beach community, a gated development on the south side of 30-A.

A tram service currently operates in Seacrest Beach Memorial Day through Labor Day, or guests may walk through Sunset Beach but bicycles, scooters, golf carts, and other wheeled traffic is not permitted making the access incovenient for many.

"We have abandoned that access," said a Seacrest Beach couple using the W. Water Street access one day last week, explaining that even though Sunset Beach is their designated legal access they don't feel welcome there.

The couple (who wish to remain anonymous) also said they were told by their realtor when purchasing in Seacrest Beach that they had the use of the W. Water Street access.

"Rosemary Beach wants us to use their shops and restaurants, but not their beaches," they said.

Their comments echo sentiments heard locally as more and more beachfront owners are taking action to protect their property.

A lively debate took place on an area internet message board (www.sowal.com/bb) over the summer following the July trespassing arrest of an unauthorized guest on a privately owned beach in Blue Mountain. A range of views were expressed, some echoing the Seacrest Beach couple, others defending private ownership of beaches, and still others expressing moderation and attempting a balancing act between competing interests.

At the end of the day, many sought legal guidance from the courts as needed, but for now, Rosemary Beach homeowners must seek their own solutions. "Public beaches are not the law in this part of Florida right now," Bagby explained. Currently, there is little dispute that the public does have the right to use the wet sand portion of the beaches. It is that line in the sand between the wet and the dry that is generally taken as the dividing line between public and private.

The Walton County TDC acknowledged this in a press release which stated the following: "Most public beach accesses are nestled between private properties. Beach goers should stay within the easement of the dune walkover to set up on the dry beach. Along 30-A, beachgoers who wish to have beach set-ups outside of these areas must be on the wet sand."

While there are no public beach access between Rosemary Beach and Alys Beach (the location of Seacrest), the county's largest beach access, Inlet Beach, is located east of Rosemary Beach. With 13 acres of preserved beach and dune and a parking spot is usually easy to find.

So, what does everybody think about this?;-)

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I think

1) Letters to the editor of the Rosemary Thymes should be addressed to Susan Vallee, PO Box 611687, Rosemary Beach, FL 32461 (Look! Their own zip code!) or editor@susanvallee.com

2) I'd just dropped a substantial chunk of money at the RB business where I picked up my copy of the Thymes implying Seacrest residents were a bunch of riff raff mucking the "Alluring White Sands" of Rosemary Beach. I think I'm going to stage a boycott. :moon:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
It is homeowners weekend for Alys, The in at Seacrest, Seacrest Beach Subdivision and also Rosemary.

MY THOUGHTS...​
~Maybe we should all try to walk down west water st....:rotfl:

~I think all this mumbo jumbo about beach access is just BS.

~The Village of South Walton should ban all the ROSEMARY people from using the fountains. I have seen more people walking from Rosemary to use them than any other area. Share and share alike???? No they would not want to do that b/c they are ROSEMARY BEACH!:roll:

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
At the end of the day, many sought legal guidance from the courts as needed, but for now, Rosemary Beach homeowners must seek their own solutions. "Public beaches are not the law in this part of Florida right now," Bagby explained. Currently, there is little dispute that the public does have the right to use the wet sand portion of the beaches. It is that line in the sand between the wet and the dry that is generally taken as the dividing line between public and private.

"Currently" kind of sounds as if he is hoping to own the Gulf itself next. So if I decide to take a swim at Rosemary, which I never have, BTW, can I leave my beach cover up lying on the sand next to the water with my hat or set it where the waves are rolling in? :dunno:

The Walton County TDC acknowledged this in a press release which stated the following: "Most public beach accesses are nestled between private properties. Beach goers should stay within the easement of the dune walkover to set up on the dry beach. Along 30-A, beachgoers who wish to have beach set-ups outside of these areas must be on the wet sand."

How far back from where the waves crash and roll in does the wet sand exceed please anybody? :dunno:

While there are no public beach access between Rosemary Beach and Alys Beach (the location of Seacrest), the county's largest beach access, Inlet Beach, is located east of Rosemary Beach. With 13 acres of preserved beach and dune and a parking spot is usually easy to find.

Why is there no public access there especially since more tourist dollars are spent in these so called, 'private beach' townships? I'm definitely with Punzey 100% on this regarding boycotting spending my cash where my family and I are :banned: from what God intended for everybody! :love: :blink:Even though I never did use it, I'd like to know I am free to.
So, basically, shop and eat here, but enjoy the beach elsewhere, at the neighboring beaches if you like. That's just wrong.
Ya know, Seacrest Cafe at the Villages, is really good too. Kids do :love: the fountains there too. I never ate anything I didn't enjoy there, even more than at Rosemary come to think of it.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
I am trying to understand both sides of this, but I just don't get it...:dunno:

I know that the "towns" like to continue to be excusive and cater to their homeowners, but banning everyone else seems like a mistake.

Let me put it this way, if someone comes to my house (I don't live on the beach) and sits on my porch - it is an issue. If they decide to sit in the road, or the Co easement, that is their choice. I think of the beach as the same.

When I go, I don't sit right next to someone's house, I'm pretty close to the water. I don't make a mess, a don't make a lot of noise, and I might spend some money at your business. Not against areas having security, or enforcing certain rules. Maybe that is meeting half-way? :dunno:

Anyone else have an idea for a solution that would make homeowners feel better, but allow the "public" to feel welcomed? :wave:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
How long do you think it will be before the beaches are gated? Gates on the walkovers, fences to the water...

Seems ridiculous, but it wasn't so long ago when the only gated homes I had seen were those of celebrities. I never saw a gated community until I was over 20.

It's no fun having enough money to buy something beautiful if you can't exclude people the people who can only afford to enjoy the things that belong to everyone.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There has to be a happy medium. Seacrest beach doesn't let everyone use their pool. They limit that to Seacrest Beach Owners and Guests. I agree with that. (limited # of chairs, capacity) And I think Rosemary would be within their rights to limit parking to 2 hours so that people can't park and hit the beach all day. Save the few parking spaces for the retail spaces -- sorry if that isn't a popular opinion, but I have a vested interest in seeing the retail spaces thrive. I totally disagree with people being teritorial over the beach. I don't get it in Blue Mt and I don't get it in Rosemary. I can't believe that this is legal?!?!?! It has to be solved through the laws soon. But since I can't vote there -- I'll leave that issue to those that can. However, what completely baffles me is why Rosemary doesn't let people use the walkovers. And why aren't the retail operations fighting to allow MORE "rif-raf" access to the walkovers? Didn't our sales tax $$ help pay for the walkovers. Heck, charge us a $1 walkover restoration surcharge if you wish. But The more we use the walkovers, the more likely we are to grab lunch/dinner/glass of wine at Wild Olives. And the more likely I am to buy that cute canvas bag at the little shoe shop. Or my kids are going to convince me they "need" a lemonade from the Sugar Shak. More traffic = more sales = a more vibrant community in MHO. Rosemary needs to wake up and smell the Thymes. heheheh

That being said, I really have a bigger issue with Sunset not letting Seacrest owners ride a bike to the access. Especially when we pay a bigger portion of the restoration and the salary for the very efficient guard that will follow you all the way to the beach to make sure you are following her rules. ok. . .don't even get me started on that. Next time I am down, I'll just get Punzy and the skunkster to show me the little public access that they bike to. :D

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
...just one comment: Karma

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
...just one comment: Karma
How long do you think it will be before the beaches are gated? Gates on the walkovers, fences to the water...
Dont worry if that happens ..nature will take care of those gates/fences. And Mothers Natures way of exacting Karma can be a very humbling thing;-)