• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.waltonsun.com/entertainment/dog_1660___article.html/walton_institution.html

A South Walton institution has been resurrected on County Road 30A.

The Salty Dog Saloon at Blue Mountain held its grand opening celebration this past weekend and lots of locals turned out to welcome it back.

With bands such as Hubba Hubba and The Steenos on the stage, it was all good. Hubba Hubba was one of the first bands to play at the original Salty Dog.

A long-time fixture on 30A, the original Salty Dog changed hands and names a few years back, then sat vacant for more than a year.

Veteran restaurateur Jim Richard decided the old Salty Dog deserved to be revived.

Richard's addition of Salty Dog Saloon brings his family of food enterprises up to four. He also owns Stinky's at Dune Allen, Blue Mountain Catering, and he broke ground last week to rebuild The Lake Place restaurant behind Stinky's.

"None of them conflict, but all complement each other," said Richard.

The Lake Place will offer fine dining, Stinky's offers a casual fun dining experience, and Salty Dog is a basic beach burger and beer joint.

Richard said he didn't want a burger and beer bar this close to the ones he already had but the business opportunity was too good to pass up.

"Salty Dog is an institution in Walton County. Like The Lake Place, it deserves to be revived. There was no place to get a burger and a cold beer on 30A. It's a good addition to the community," he said.

In addition to burgers and sandwiches, Salty Dog's menu includes seafood gumbo, salads, catfish po' boys and a popular pulled pork French fry sandwich. The most popular burger is the grilled onion and fried Brie, said Richard, because the Brie explodes and goes all over the burger.

There will be entertainment four nights a week, Thursday through Sunday. Wednesday night is ladies' night with drink specials.

Lunch will be offered in the future with daily featured items such as taco Tuesdays, fried catfish, and red beans and rice.

Prices range from $7.50 for an 8-ounce burger to $24 for 1.5 pounds of crab legs. Most items are $15.

There is also bar food, chicken wings, chili cheese, and a fried Brie appetizer.

Managing Salty Dog is Stan Meadows, formerly of Eat-Rite Produce, the old Harry T's and Blues in Destin.

Kitchen manager is Christian Griffith, formerly with the Back Porch and Crab Trap in Destin, and the Black Pearl in Fort Walton Beach.

"The organization is growing. But I've been working on all this for 15 years and carrying staff enough for two restaurants for two-and-a-half years since The Lake Place burned. Stinky's, with its good price points, came along at a good time when the economy began going down. Now with the economy even worse, Salty Dog offers comfort at even a more reasonable price," said Richard. "In this economy, it feels good to actually be able to make a living in this business. And with ground breaking for Lake Place, we're going back to our roots."

The Lake Place is scheduled to be open by New Year's Eve.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
We were headed to another place for dinner tonight but decided to stop here as we love the layout of the place. At once I was in love when I saw a juicer at the bar. I asked the server what their specialty was, well duh, salty dogs :roll:sosad:which I dont like) so she said Pirate's Punch which has more Rum than anything and best of all it was topped with my fave, Pyrats Rum.
Between the 3 of us we had Chili Cheese Fries as an app, a burger, catfish basket and Fried Oyster Remolaude. I have to say that the burger was the best. It was on a sweet? bun. TOO YUMMY!!!

The Pirates Punch was the best, and I had just one as I was the DD. (no lie) A live band was starting to form but we were heading out the door. I hope to go back soon....

Destinbarkeep

Beach Comber
Feb 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
What no one has mentioned yet is that for us winos, you can get a pretty good glass of wine at Salty Dog, too (as one would expect on 30A, even at a burger joint). All Reds and Whites are just $7.50!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I was happy that beers were just $4 and my Pirate Punch was loaded with Rum for $7.50. We will be back....

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I was happy that beers were just $4 and my Pirate Punch was loaded with Rum for $7.50. We will be back....

Hmmm.....Pirate Punch. is that a relative of the Planter's Punch? I am so glad to hear of the great reviews...we have some new joints to try out in the Fall!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
All of us at D&K's Cafe would like to Congratulate Jim Richard and his team!!!!
When Doug and I were dating(1990-1992):eek: Salty Dogs was a favorite place to go. We had "our" spot at the bar....and were always well taken care of. It felt like home for everyone in the restaurant business....we all ended up there late at night along with all the locals. Played pool there when I could squeeze through the guys. Mostly just watched Doug and laughed at all their jokes. What a great memory. So glad it will continue to be a hot spot on 30A!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:
:bow::bow::bow:

Kat & Doug

brookeshattles

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2008
Way to go on the ground breaking on Lake place we are looking forward to eating at our favorite restaurant again. Althought we do LOVE Stinky's and Salty dogs. Jim knows what he's doing in the restaurant world. :clap: