• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
San Miguel Day, September 29, 2010 is next Wednesday. Perhaps you'll celebrate by visiting Deer Lake State Park and see this view natives might have had as they watched this failed Spanish expedition in 1528 sail past the shores of South Walton.

dunelaker-albums-deer-lake-state-park-picture3414-my-picture-one-my-favorite-views-world-deer-lake-water-sound-florida-its-best-nothing-compares-sowal.jpg

Conquistador Narvaez didn't make it back to Spain, but his fellow Conquistador Cabeza de Vaca did. His written account allows us to trace this arduous multi-year trek back to Mexico and Spain. PBS is currently showing a wonderful four part series on the Conquistadors. The fourth segment highlights Cabeza de Vaca.

South Walton has a significant and long history. From being home to some of the earliest native peoples in North America, to Spanish and other European explorers, to early colonists and Florida territorial settlers, there is history to enjoy and enhance a visit or permanent stay.

This year, I hope to celebrate with a walk on the beach and a meal with Spanish influence. I may start early as this Wednesday night supper at Point Washington United Methodist Church at 5 p.m. will feature Barbeque. Local talents will be cooking and serving. There is a tale that the name "barbeque" came from an early Spanish explorer, Juan Ortiz, using this term (Spanish barbacoa) in describing how he escaped being cooked for dinner. This is the real "Pocohontas" story by the way. John Smith plagarized this story and had his biographer use it as his own. Another example of the real history of Florida not being known. DeSoto had found Ortiz, who had been lost on an earlier expedition looking for the failed Narvaez expedition.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Plans are shaping up. Will make lunch at LaCocina on 30A near Rosemary beach. They're open for lunch from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. and dinner from 5 - 9 p.m. Sure it is a Mexican bar and grill, but like Florida, Mexico's ties to Spain are deep and wide. At this point in time, Florida was part of Spain longer than it has been part of the United States. Mexico just celebrated its 200th birthday of independence from Spain.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Happy San Miguel Day. What a beautiful day to walk on the beach and remember this 1528 sailing trip past the shores of SoWal. Also a good day to check out all the Spanish influenced food, wine and cheese available along this stretch of the Emerald Coast. Maybe some special music tonight will be the perfect way to end the day. Our county's namesake, George Walton, Jr., liked to go out at night, play pool and hang out with his Spanish friends during early Florida territorial days.