• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
About 3 months ago sanctuary by the sea in grayton put up big signs with there name showing were "there beach was". obviously the county made them take them down and now they have a real estate looking sign on both sides of there property that says "private beach". the chair guys have asked several people to move showing legal documents that say the condo's private beach stretches to "the mean mark of high tide"which means the common folk can put there chairs about 10 feet from were the tide stops and the rest is "private" .all the neighborhoods who have deeded beach access along a walkway next to the condo are angry and i smell a lawsuit coming. my question is haven't other condo's on 30-a tried this? it won't stand

Last edited by a moderator:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Sounds like just another claim made by a developer/realtor that was a bold faced lie to garner more sales. When will these people learn that the laws of Florida ensure that the majority of the beaches here are "public", that the "mean high tide line" varies year by year and that someone buying "beachfront property" doesnt mean that they get a "private beach". There is a good portion of that beach ...in FRONT of that multi-million dollar property that will always be for public use. They can put up all the signs they want, but it wont change the state statutes of the Florida. Until these owners can show me a VALID survey showing the MHTL..I am not moving my chairs or towel or whatever I am parking my A$$ on at that time. If the person telling me to move does not have a certified copy of a recent survey, they can not prove where the MHTL is.. when they can prove I am on property north of that MHTL....then I will move.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The private vs. public beach issue starts every year about this time. It will be up to the courts to decide the issue and my hope is they do it soon and use some common sense in doing so.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
Yes jodie you are correct. I just looked it up as "The mean high tide line" is the average of the highest tides over a 18.6 year period as determined by some gulf authority which i forgot the name.they have 16 yr old beach chair kids showing some official looking papers. whats so funny is this is some of the least crowded parts of the beach on all of 30-a. what other condos try this? i know some have and they failed. i promise you after 1000's of renters whith ones coming weekly they'll tire from trying to enforce this bogus law.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
andy its not a public walk way next to the sanctuary, its a private deaded access for the complexes of preserve,redfish and sanctuary. the deal was to get that from sanctuary the other parties agreed to keep the walkway up when it needs maintance.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
andy its not a public walk way next to the sanctuary, its a private deaded access for the complexes of preserve,redfish and sanctuary. the deal was to get that from sanctuary the other parties agreed to keep the walkway up when it needs maintance.
Thanks for the correction. It is not locked and used by Bannerman Lane folks and others all the time.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The Supreme Court is still reviewing the case, once that ruling comes down we're either good or pucked. Based on their current rulings if you don't own gulf front property you might want to become familiar with this:

Welcome to Florida State Parks

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
the people in the bannerman estate use the walkway as they have a gate cut.I've met and talked to lanier smith? older guy who is very nice. he owns the first home on the dunes and from what i understand very wealthy and he tried to block the sanctuary sale many yrs ago.as far as the walkway goes. its deaded access to the wet sand and its in the legal papers of the sanctuary. as far as the supreme court ruling goes i've read a ton on it and please correct me if i'm wrong but what does that have to do with the topic above? i thought the supreme ct case is about the county or states right to nourish a beach and create a beach front were there is none. in other words its not the right of the state to create a beachfront if none there. does this overide were a home can claim a private beach to the high water mark?in other words please explain how the 2 mingle with each other. thanks