• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hunter Finner

Beach Crab
Sep 15, 2018
Rosemary
Hello, I have a few questions about sand fleas, as they are the only bait I know of on the beach.
First, are there any other baits that I can go find on my own without having to go to the bait shop and paying money everytime I go?
Second, when can you generally find groups of sand fleas buried in the beach? (Time of day/Months of the year/Temperature)
Thanks!

Edit: If I get a cast net, where would be a good place to catch bait fish? So sorry for all the questions

Last edited:

David Cassels

Beach Crab
Mar 20, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
I've just started surf fishing in the last few months and I would love to hear some knowledge in this area too. It seems to me that sand fleas more abundant in the morning or evening. There's some days that I can find huge colonies and pick up 10 with every scoop, some days one at a time and some none at all. I'd love to figure out a pattern if there is one. I'd also love to know more about Pompano fishing times. I've heard they run in the October and March. And is the red tide gone yet where it's safe enough to eat Pomps?

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Sand fleas are great bait for pompano. The best but not always easy to find. Some spots get cleaned out if there is a lot of fishing going on. Warm months will be better and also better for fishing. Bait fish can be caught on the beach, usually best early am when water is calm. Frozen shrimp and sand fleas are fairly cheap and you should keep some on hand.