• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
As part of the 10-year, multi-phase, $400 million master redevelopment plan that began in 1998 and will be completed this year, Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort has improved its vacation offerings.
A new PGA Champions Tour event, The Boeing Championship at Sandestin and the renovation of the Baytowne Golf Club course, will help to enhance the vacation experience for golfers and golfloving families at Sandestin. New merchants and restaurants, a new beachside condominium, the renovation of the Bayside Inn, and two new Marriottbranded properties will also be added to Sandestin?s extensive vacation offerings.
This year, Sandestin will host a PGA Champions Tour event, The Boeing Championship at Sandestin. This official $1.6 million Champions Tour event, formerly known as the Blue Angels Classic, will be played May 8 through 14, at the Raven Golf Club at Sandestin.
Known as the most popular course at Sandestin for many years, Baytowne Golf Club brings a fresh face to its familiar layout. Extensively renovated in the summer of 2005 by original course architect Tom Jackson, this course is even more exciting. The addition of a fifth set of junior tee boxes, specifically designed to promote the game for children under 12, gives golf-loving families the chance to enjoy the game together at Baytowne Golf Club, one of four championship golf courses located at Sandestin.
Several new shops and restaurants have opened at The Village of Baytowne Wharf:

? Graffiti?s & The Funky Blues Shack ? Chuck and Carmen Stiles, owners of Graffiti?s in Destin and Cafe Tango in Blue Mountain Beach, will bring their Graffiti?s restaurant and live blues club venue to Baytowne. Dinner will be served nightly along with a limited late-night menu to accompany their entertainment.

? Mangos Paradise Grille ? Keith and Shelly Carmichael will open a family-friendly snack bar across from Adventure Landing. Convenient walkup counter service is offered with outdoor deck seating for parents to watch the kids play.

? Listen Honey, an Emerson Signature Store: Chip Gramling and Jim Ross have teamed up with native-Kentucky artist Emerson Quinlan to bring an original and humorist addition to the Village. Quinlan has been hard at work creating custom artwork and designs especially for Baytowne Wharf in his first real retail venture outside of his home state. The store will feature signed original artwork and reproductions along with whimsical gift items all featuring Emerson?s signature quips and graphics.
There are new and improved accommodations at Sandestin:

? Luau, a two-tower condominium building, will add 243 suites to Sandestin?s sugar-white beaches in spring 2006. Luau will feature a sunset observation deck on the roof, an expansive sun deck and a 4,000-square-foot pool complete with a swim-behind waterfall, an island oasis, a hot tub and a children?s pool. Luau?s one-, two- and three-bedroom condominiums feature spacious accommodations and full kitchens.

? Bayside Inn?s rooms, suites and public spaces, are currently undergoing an extensive $4.2 million renovation program to be completed this spring.

? The Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard and Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard will offer more than 300 rooms to the resort?s room inventory when completed. The Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, with 174 guest rooms and more than 2,000 square feet of meeting space, features a breakfast buffet, library, outdoor pool and hot tub, exercise facility, market and lounge. The Residence Sandestin at Grand Boulevard has 120 guest rooms with separate living and sleeping areas and a kitchenette. The hotel features a complimentary breakfast buffet and evening social hour, great room, game room, library, outdoor pool and hot tub and exercise facility.

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
I would like to ask you guys something???? May I, without getting bashed? Where is the real money down there? Where are the high paying jobs? Where are the IVY LEAGUE Private schools? Where are the BIG corps that supply high profiles?
Because what I see is a lot of small end jobs with No benifits (mostly in real estate). So what a few stars own homes there, no big deal. The rich own homes all over. I'm sorry I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Dabell said:
I would like to ask you guys something???? May I, without getting bashed? Where is the real money down there? Where are the high paying jobs? Where are the IVY LEAGUE Private schools? Where are the BIG corps that supply high profiles?
Because what I see is a lot of small end jobs with No benifits (mostly in real estate). So what a few stars own homes there, no big deal. The rich own homes all over. I'm sorry I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

What fuss? :dunno:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
SoWalSally said:
Several new shops and restaurants have opened at The Village of Baytowne Wharf:

? Graffiti?s & The Funky Blues Shack ? Chuck and Carmen Stiles, owners of Graffiti?s in Destin and Cafe Tango in Blue Mountain Beach, will bring their Graffiti?s restaurant and live blues club venue to Baytowne. Dinner will be served nightly along with a limited late-night menu to accompany their entertainment.
Cool! Though part of what's great about these two places is their quirky strip mall location and "ambience." Hope they retain the feel through the move, though I'm sure the food and drinks will still be great!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The real money down here comes from people who got into real estate 20 years ago, and the people who are high on the food chain at some of the big defense contracting shops. The DoD does some incredibly complex (and well compensated) weapons development work in Ft. Walton Beach (Eglin) and Panama City Beach. (Coastal Systems/Tyndall) The Ft. Walton Beach metro area workforce skews toward bigger percentages of engineers and engineering jobs than just about any place else in the country.

Pretty much every national player in defense contracting has a local presence. That's the big reason why Boeing is the title sponsor of a Senior Golf Tour event in Florida far from their Seattle roots.

And once the Air Force colonels and rocket scientists retire, a lot of them continue to hang out in the general area, but move closer to the beach or Sandestin-like golf course developments.

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
May 19, 2005
Any idea when they will be completed. I've kept hearing end of May, but we're almost at the end of May. Don't have MLS access, but last I saw in February were many, many assignable listings from $680k and up for two bedrooms.

SoWalSally said:
There are new and improved accommodations at Sandestin:

? Luau, a two-tower condominium building, will add 243 suites to Sandestin?s sugar-white beaches in spring 2006. Luau will feature a sunset observation deck on the roof, an expansive sun deck and a 4,000-square-foot pool complete with a swim-behind waterfall, an island oasis, a hot tub and a children?s pool. Luau?s one-, two- and three-bedroom condominiums feature spacious accommodations and full kitchens.

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
May 19, 2005
:blush: Well we had an opportunity last June 2005 to assign at $800,000, but the greed was in place thinking of even a higher dollar now. Fast forward, we have a 2 bedroom Luau unit for sale for <$660,000 and not even a nibble. It appears the only sales (excluding original contract sales) were these Intrawest assignment sales. Think how horrible those buyers must feel. They close on a $800,000 unit and they have to see listings like ours for nearly $150,000 less!

Our closing is this week. We'll be enjoying it for several weekends this summer/fall. Sometimes when you do something foolish, you have to laugh at yourself. :funn:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Advance The Man said:
:blush: Well we had an opportunity last June 2005 to assign at $800,000, but the greed was in place thinking of even a higher dollar now. Fast forward, we have a 2 bedroom Luau unit for sale for <$660,000 and not even a nibble. It appears the only sales (excluding original contract sales) were these Intrawest assignment sales. Think how horrible those buyers must feel. They close on a $800,000 unit and they have to see listings like ours for nearly $150,000 less!

Our closing is this week. We'll be enjoying it for several weekends this summer/fall. Sometimes when you do something foolish, you have to laugh at yourself. :funn:

AVtheMan: Not "having to" sell makes all the difference in the world--I admire your attitude...I'm sure you'll enjoy your weekends.