• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A second Songwriters fest comes to Sandestin in August | sandestin, august, second - Local News - WaltonSun.com
The event will offer a stellar lineup of names such as musician and songwriter Steve Cropper, Jeffrey Steele, Bob DiPiero, singer/songwriter Lee Roy Parnell, Grammy-winning blues icon Delbert McClinton, country vocalist Lari White, and more.

Sponsored by Sandestin Resort, BMI, and Southwest Airlines, Laurie Hobbs, director of public relations and marketing for Sandestin, said, ?It?s a collaborative effort.?

Hobbs said inspiration for the Sandestin Music Festival also came through the landing of Southwest Airlines at the new Beaches of Northwest Florida Airport in Panama City. One of the cities on Southwest?s route is Nashville.

?We thought, ?what can we do to attract more people from Nashville? and we came up with this,? said Hobbs.

With bases in Nashville, New York, and Los Angeles, BMI represents more than 400,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in all music genres.

The festival will take place on multiple stages throughout the resort, beginning at Hammerhead?s Aug. 13 at 6 p.m., then followed by a jam session at Rum Runner?s from 8 to 10 p.m. Graffiti and The Funky Blues Shack close the first evening with a late-night concert from 10 p.m. to midnight.

On Aug. 14, the Village Events Plaza at The Village of Baytowne Wharf will showcase the weekend?s main headline act.

The Solaris yacht will offer VIP cruises that weekend for those booking the after-party event to mingle with the artists.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Sandestin Music Festival - free with online printed ticket!

Sandestin Music Festival

Inaugural Sandestin Music Festival Slated for This August 13?14
to Support Gulf Coast Recovery

A Little Bit Country, a Little Bit Rock ?n? Roll, & a Whole Lotta Soul:
Steve Cropper, Delbert McClinton, James Slater, Lari White, Kree Harrison,
Lee Roy Parnell and more take the stage to support Audubon

On August 13 and 14, 2010, the inaugural Sandestin Music Festival?s launch will be fueled by a cross-section of country and rock?s most acclaimed songwriters and performers. The great music is for a great cause. Donations collected at the festival will support the National Audubon Society and its efforts to help birds and other wildlife affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Legendary musician and songwriter Steve Cropper, contemporary country trendsetters Jeffrey Steele, Danny Myrick, Marty Dodson and James Slater, ace guitarist and acclaimed singer/songwriter Lee Roy Parnell, Grammy-winning blues icon Delbert McClinton, powerhouse country vocalist and Broadway star Lari White, and promising up-and-comer Kree Harrison will deliver show-stopping performances as the amenities of the 2,400-acre Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort serve as the idyllic backdrop.

Entry to the Sandestin Music Festival is FREE for the public with a printed ticket via www.sandestinmusicfestival.com. While there is no charge for admittance, festival organizers are asking for donations to benefit the National Audubon Society?s Gulf Coast efforts. Donations may be made online at www.sandestinmusicfestival.com or through $10 text donations during the event.

The Sandestin Music Festival kicks off Friday, August 13 at 6 p.m. in The Village of Baytowne Wharf. The schedule includes:

• 6 p.m. at Hammerhead?s Bar and Grille: Marty Dodson, a songwriter for country stars Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Billy Currington and more, performs with rising country star Kree Harrison.
  • 8 p.m. at Rum Runners: James Slater, the Grammy-nominated, bilingual singer/songwriter and pianist, takes the stage with Grammy winner and Broadway performer Lari White.
  • 10 p.m. to midnight at Graffiti & The Funky Blues Shack: the party really heats up as two of Nashville?s top country songwriters Danny Myrick and Jeffrey Steele join blues icon Delbert McClinton. Myrick penned hit singles "International Harvester" by Craig Morgan, "Loud" by Big and Rich (the theme song for CMT?s ?Gone Country? show), and recent multi-week chart-topper, "She's Country" by Jason Aldean. McClinton has been writing hits since his career took off in the 60s. Three-time BMI Songwriter of the Year Jeffrey Steele?s mega-hits include a string of chart-toppers for Rascal Flatts, including "Every Day," "My Wish," "Me and the Gang," and the groundbreaking "What Hurts The Most,? as well as Tim McGraw's "The Cowboy in Me," Faith Hill's "When the Lights Go Down," Trace Adkins' "Chrome," LeAnn Rimes' "Big Deal," and Montgomery Gentry's "Speed," "Hell Yeah" and "My Town."

Saturday, from 7-10 p.m. the Village Events Plaza in The Village of Baytowne Wharf will showcase the weekend?s main headline acts:

• Steve Cropper: A guitarist, A&R man, engineer, producer, songwriting partner of Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd and a dozen others, and founding member of both Booker T. and the MG's and The Mar-Keys, Cropper was literally involved in every record issued by Stax Records from the fall of 1961 through year end 1970. His is the co-writer of "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay," "Knock on Wood" and "In the Midnight Hour."
  • Delbert McClinton: A blues icon and legendary songwriter, his Grammy-winning duet with Bonnie Raitt, "Good Man, Good Woman," and #1 composition "Two More Bottles of Wine,? recorded by Emmylou Harris, merely skim the surface his deep catalogue, while as a performer, he has only improved since first turning heads in the 60s.
  • Lee Roy Parnell: An ace guitarist as well as a distinctive singer and hit songwriter, Lee Roy Parnell offers music that runs a diverse gamut: blue-eyed soul, Delta blues, roadhouse rock, Southern boogie, Texas swing, and gospel come together in his songs to defy conventional classification. In addition to being a music publisher, Parnell is currently producing and writing with influential songwriters and recording artists nationwide.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Delbert!

Some years back, when he played in Memphis, the reviewer for the Commercial Appeal said "he's so hot, he makes the carpet sweat". We're all a little older now, but I'm going anyway.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
For you Delbert fans out there, I hope you made it. The man can still put on a show. The band included Steve Cropper on guitar. Texas and Memphis music intersection was rolling with R&B and soul.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Forgot it was happening. Anybody go? reports?

Lee Roy Parnell opened. I'm not familiar with him, but he's a singer-songwriter with a swampy sort of tinge - you can hear some New Orleans in his Texas-sounding tunes. He's a pretty good slide player, too.

The band stayed out and Steve Cropper joined. He played a selection of Stax favorites, and sang them credibly, too. His unmistakeable guitar sound is still there, although the sound mix didn't bring it to the front enough for my taste.

The whole event transformed when Delbert McClinton joined the rest. His Texas R&B tunes are party music and he belted them with an authority that completely bypassed his 69 years of age. The crowd, quite literally rushed the stage and stood and rocked for his entire set.

Afterward, Delbert and all the others hung around and chatted with the crowd.

Sorry you missed it.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Me and the girls went. Delbert went to high school with my mom. She watched him & his band practice in a garage once. I've seen him a few times over the years and he rocks it! Lee Roy Parnell was popular in the early 90's (On the Road, Love without Mercy) so I hadn't thought of him in years. It was great to see them. Hot and humid.

You can see how the crowd changed from beginning to end.

Last edited: