• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
the playground at the village of baytowne wharf has a rubber tire mulch as ground cover instead of sand, dirt, or child safe rubber flooring (as at Destin Commons).

the signs indicate that the playground is unsafe from the hours of 9am - 6pm, because the tires are EXTREMELY HOT.

those signs are true, even adult feet couldn't bear the burn if they touch the rubber mulch!
but when exactly do they think children play?

in addition, there are other concerns about using rubber tire mulch in any residential area, let alone around children who are more vulnerable to some of the byproducts of using this toxic petroleum waste.

because the playground is positioned in an area that has little or no shade and it is in an environment that is very hot most days the rubber begins to burn. this is very dangerous for many reasons:
1) if you touch the rubber in the heat of the day, you will notice an orangish residue on your fingers. this is what happens when the rubber is heated petroleum byproduct begins to emit from the rubber
2) because it is a petroleum based product the area is an EXTREME fire hazard. i think of that often when i see parents or patrons of mangos smoking nearby. if a fire were to start at the entry of the playground, it would be difficult to get to the children in the middle or back of the playground quickly as the playground is surrounded by this highly flammable rubber tire material.
3) while burning tires emits extreme toxic fumes, having them sit out in the heat of the sun all day creates the same issue. even if you aren't aware of it as an adult, a child's immune system is much more delicate and vulnerable than yours. fumes from tires are a known carcinogen.
4) when children fall on this ground cover it has been established that many children get dermatitis or other mild or severe reactions from contact with these rubber tires. so while it might prevent the child from getting a bruise or breaking a bone, it may cause other injuries related to the skin or lungs.

so my question is, since it's too dangerous to play on the playground during times when children might be awake and the rubber could endanger the safety of children and even make them sick.

why on earth is this being used as a ground cover at sandestin's public children playground? and do other parents understand the dangers of this kind of material?

Last edited:

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
i'm surprised that no other concerned parents or community members have commented on this problem. but after reading more about tire mulch, i found that florida is one of only 5 states that would allow it to be used anywhere let alone around an area meant for children.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We were over there this afternoon, and I wouldn't let my daughter play on it. Awful stuff. Seems dirty. What is wrong with light colored (and much cooler) sand? Or those nice soft solid playground surfaces?:dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love that they are aware enough of the issue that they put up a sign........but didn't FIX the problem!

Also beware the lights around the kid's play area at Destin Commons. They get very hot!

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
I love that they are aware enough of the issue that they put up a sign........but didn't FIX the problem!

Also beware the lights around the kid's play area at Destin Commons. They get very hot!

that's pretty much the answer to everything here. there's no such thing as actual problem solving. what's hilarious is that it actually makes them more legally liable should something happen! just because you acknowledge there's a problem and advise the public via a sign, doesn't mean a court will go in your favor in a legal judgement. in fact, statistically it's to the contrary!

we know what they think of their guests and residents, and especially the children - not much obviously! - but this isn't even an approach of an entity that's seeking to be profitable! one bad lawsuit and sandestin would have a hard time retaining insurance and an experienced, profit-oriented business person would not make these kind of decisions.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
This from the same people who decided a movie theater in Grand Blvd was not as important as more high end shopping......I thought Bos was no longer affiliated with Sandestin.....:dunno:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I have never liked the idea of that stuff near me, or especially children. I mentioned it to a parent one time at a nearby school where it was and the response was "oh that stuff is safe for kids and it's recycled which is good". :roll:

hint: If you can smell it, you're breathing something you shouldn't.