• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Hello Sowal!
I can’t believe my log in still worked after all these years! I wanted to reach out to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Sarah, and I am running for Walton County Commissioner Seat #5. My husband has always called me a nerd, so that’s where Snerd came from.

Born in Massachusetts, I grew up in Dune Allen, then later lived on Moll Dr what’s now part of Helen McCall Park, where my father had his auto-repair shop for many years. I think my grampa and his basset hounds were the first golf cart on 30-A back in the 1990’s. My great aunt started the first ambulance service in Santa Rosa Beach. My husband and I moved up to Black Creek around 2005 and had the time of our lives living the creek life until 2012 we moved to Miramar to be closer to work.

I registered Republican in Walton County District 5 on February, 14, exactly twenty years ago tomorrow! I have long held conservative values, but unlike the R stereotypes, I try to be as environmentally minded as possible, with exceptions, I love my SUV too much. :|

I’ve been saving local companies money “behind the scenes” most of my career. I’ve worked locally for about 21 years at large resorts in rental accounting/ F&B, and most recently 7 years as the Controller for Wine World. I’ve identified cost savings of just cents on products that resulted in tens of thousands in savings when applied to usage. I’ve studied many FL Statutes and feel my experience in corporate, financing, and legal experiences, mixed with my personal real estate and building experience, and commercial building would be beneficial in the decision-making for our county. I am also very environmentally minded and in my office we work as efficiently as possible, and always aim to save time and money.

I'd like to invite you to friend and follow me on Facebook and I’m just now getting my website put together, but will be posting there more also. I’m not a professional politician, but I’ve been in tune with real estate and watched others’ money my whole life, and I’m read to step it up and really make a difference!

Best regards,
Sarah Moss

https://www.votesarahmoss.com/

https://www.facebook.com/votesarahmoss

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Hi Jim,
Yes, Dune Allen is very special to me, and my husband and I just built our ICF forever home in Miramar Beach just 8 miles from my childhood home (ranch home on the corner of Dune & Bishop Street).
I was born in Worcester, MA during a bad snowstorm and my family was quick to move down here soon after! :)

Ty Webb

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2020
Miramar Beach
Hi Sarah,

I am a conservative, technically a Constitutionalist. And I am also passionate about preservation, especially here in Walton County. Yes, folks, conservatives can care as deeply about our forests, beaches, springs, as a liberal. :)

Our county, controlled mainly by commissioners who are all from north of Choctawhatchee Bay look at SoWal completely different than the residents of SoWal. Their lack of seizing the opportunity to build up opportunities in Freeport, Defuniak leaves them to focus on allowing more and more development in SoWal, with no thought or action in improving the necessary infrastructure.

Please share your position and what you would do to correct once elected:

• Very high density building allowed and increasing
  • Complete clear cutting of lots with zero natural vegetation remaining.
  • Setbacks, buffer zones virtually ignored and seldom corrected. It's the wild West here.
  • Protecting our state forests from encroachment, and slicing and dicing by the county powers and their attorneys.
  • SLOWING DOWN the development to allow for infrastructure to catch up
  • Implementing required beautification of property in order to be granted development orders. (Look at Hilton Head Island, Fairhope for ideas)
We can, as a county, require these builders and developers to "Keep SoWal Beautiful". It will require courage, fortitude.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Hi Jim,
Yes, Dune Allen is very special to me, and my husband and I just built our ICF forever home in Miramar Beach just 8 miles from my childhood home (ranch home on the corner of Dune & Bishop Street).
I was born in Worcester, MA during a bad snowstorm and my family was quick to move down here soon after! :)
Is it pronounced "wooster"? Smart parents for moving here!

What is the biggest change you've seen in SoWal since you were a kid? What was it like growing up here?

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Hi Sarah,

I am a conservative, technically a Constitutionalist. And I am also passionate about preservation, especially here in Walton County. Yes, folks, conservatives can care as deeply about our forests, beaches, springs, as a liberal. :)

Our county, controlled mainly by commissioners who are all from north of Choctawhatchee Bay look at SoWal completely different than the residents of SoWal. Their lack of seizing the opportunity to build up opportunities in Freeport, Defuniak leaves them to focus on allowing more and more development in SoWal, with no thought or action in improving the necessary infrastructure.

Please share your position and what you would do to correct once elected:

• Very high density building allowed and increasing
  • Complete clear cutting of lots with zero natural vegetation remaining.
  • Setbacks, buffer zones virtually ignored and seldom corrected. It's the wild West here.
  • Protecting our state forests from encroachment, and slicing and dicing by the county powers and their attorneys.
  • SLOWING DOWN the development to allow for infrastructure to catch up
  • Implementing required beautification of property in order to be granted development orders. (Look at Hilton Head Island, Fairhope for ideas)
We can, as a county, require these builders and developers to "Keep SoWal Beautiful". It will require courage, fortitude.
Hello Ty... you bring up real concerns that we all have who live here in South Walton County! I’m interested in what Sarah has to say on how she would address these issues if voters elect her??

SarahMoss

Beach Crab
Feb 17, 2020
Miramar Beach

Hi Ty,
I tried to respond over the weekend but kept receiving errors when trying to log in to the website. Kurt had offered to change my name and I couldn’t get back in! ‍♀️

Your comment about this being the Wild West is spot on. The fox is watching the hen house in Walton County! If you aren’t on the Walton County Visioning Facebook page, I’d encourage you to join it and see some of the eye-opening videos that get posted there.

I believe our area is near emergency-status and the continuing development trends are the primary reason I am running, because of extreme concern for the future and negative impacts of everything you described if we don’t start making changes now. As I’ve said before, Walton County will always be my home and I want it to be taken care of and developed responsibly for future generations!

State-owned and preservation lands must be protected!!

Some of the issues you mentioned could be resolved by simply enforcing our existing code. Building any further and increasing density on an already stressed and inadequate infrastructure is just plain irresponsible. I would encourage some kind of moratorium until we can get a more clear plan for future infrastructure and better understanding of the impacts of existing and approved projects (sometimes approved 20 years out).

I would request that Code Enforcement be redirected from enforcing the sign and other non-major ordinances, and focus on development violations. I would also oversee the zoning variance meetings and ensure they do their jobs! I would also move the board to pursue and adopt a “heritage tree” or similar ordinance based on preserving habit of our native wildlife, birds, and owls. I’d push for public education and encourage owners to stop spraying damaging chemicals in their yards because that’s what encourages that awful algae that has taken over in lots of areas of our state.
I would not allow the developers to police themselves as they currently do, based on the current permit structure and enforcement process.

Below is a video from a BCC meeting in which the Zoning Board of Adjustments, the people who choose to allow or deny code variances were appointed by our commissioners. They had just reappointed them after they voted unanimously on allowing a 1,400’ seawall, when 150’ is the max, filling in wetlands, disturbance and construction in the coastal protection zone.
Walton itself just installed a storm drain that funnels untreated stormwater right into Choctawhatchee Bay. But as a homeowner I was required to build engineered storm water ponds. I just believe everyone should be held to the same standards.

The people who benefit from development donate to others campaigns, then later get appointed to the very board that keeps there developments (customers) in line!
I was nervous a bit, knowing I am speaking up against a well-oiled operation!
https://youtu.be/A5mER40-dGE?t=4546
If you like my message please let me know if you would be willing to sponsor a few yard signs, or just allow me to place a sign in your yard! You can also just share my message and encourage your friends to vote Aug 18!

Thanks,
Sarah