• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
Friends of ours rented a beach house in Savannah for New Year's and raved about the wonderful time they had. They're coming to our home for a visit next weekend. We are way up north...it was "white" here on Saturday, by the way...and the "white" was not sand, I can assure you. A little depressing, really.

I would like to set the mood for our evening together starting with a "Savannah"-style dinner, hear all their wonderful stories and try to make it a "southern night" up here in still cold climes. I'm starting to think about what to serve. I'd appreciate any suggestions for a menu for our Savannah night.

Can anyone help?

I'm wondering if I should have posted this thread in the lounge...

Sheila

SoWal Insider
whitesands said:
Friends of ours rented a beach house in Savannah for New Year's and raved about the wonderful time they had. They're coming to our home for a visit next weekend. We are way up north...it was "white" here on Saturday, by the way...and the "white" was not sand, I can assure you. A little depressing, really.

I would like to set the mood for our evening together starting with a "Savannah"-style dinner, hear all their wonderful stories and try to make it a "southern night" up here in still cold climes. I'm starting to think about what to serve. I'd appreciate any suggestions for a menu for our Savannah night.

Can anyone help?

I'm wondering if I should have posted this thread in the lounge...

Shrimp and grits! Yumm!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Whitesands, you're in the right place. This is all about food and entertaining! If you google "Savannah Georgia recipes" you'll come up with enough to get you started. Have a good time with your friends!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
gotothebeachmom said:
Shrimp and grits! Yumm!

:rotfl: Hey that was going to be my suggestion!!!

Low country boil? Dress it up a bit with other shellfish?

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
You should check with ALLIFUNN , I'm sure she can hook you up with some great 'low-country' recipies.

Her jumbalaya is to die for, but that's not a Savannah dish of course....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rule number one is to cook what you do best up north. The worst thing is going up north and making the mistake of getting sweet tea. North of VA, it is aweful. Forget about the grits, too.

If I go somewhere else, I want to experience food from that area, not the food that is the specialty back home. It will never compare. ;-)

I suggest cooking what you cook best. Your guests will be honored to taste your specialty cooked to perfection. Trust me on this one. ;-)

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Paula Dean from Savannah has great recipes...she is on the food channel and has recipes on the internet. Low country boil with newspaper as a table cloth..that's true Savannah :lolabove: :clap_1:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Lots of crab dishes - - Crab au gratin with a crumbled saltine cracker topping, wilted salad, definately spoonbread, green beans cooked with a little bacan fat, peach cobbler. I guess you know by now that Southern cooking is not healthy. (And I had fat free tuna salad for lunch :sosad: )

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
Thank you all so very much. I hope I can explain this correctly/adequately...SJ, you are absolutely correct!

I just recently saw an episode of "Flip This House"...they fixed up a gorgeous victorian place, put it on the market and were offering shrimp and grits to the people who were coming to view the newly renovated gorgeous home. The shrimp and grits looked WONDERFUL! They added some cheese too...it looked marvelous. We are landlocked up here in the north and the shrimp we get here are usually frozen...the "fresh" ones are almost "squishy", if that is the correct word.

Next, I had some truly scrumptuous grits at a Waffle House (of all places) just east of New Orleans on our way back to 30A in Jan. of 05...wonderful consistency with just a touch of melted butter on top. They were simply the most wonderful thing I had had in a while. Truly, truly delicious! Had some grits in a Waffle House in Destin...not the same thing at all.

I am not a southern cook, that's for sure! I am a fairly good "northern" cook...do pretty fair "northern style" cooking, if I do say so myself.

I was hoping, I guess, for a fool-proof southern recipe that would take my friends back to the wonderful time they had in Savannah. They too are "northerners". We have a dedicated home movie theater and plan to screen the "Midnight Garden of Good and Evil", which, in my view, is so beautifully shot as to portray Savannah in all its beauty and splendor. I actually saw the house in question on a TV show called "The Antique Hunter" a while ago. What a gorgeous home!

We are looking forward to trying to "reasonably" replicate something you might naturally find in Savannah...I know I won't recreate it absolutely...hear our friends' stories and watch the movie, in order to try to re-connect with that wonderful New Year's Eve experience they had...

So, as I said to SJ, you are absolutely correct...and astute, to say the least. I will never be able to replicate a wonderful meal such as you would have in a fabulous Savannah restaurant...but I will try to replicate a semblence of the memory for our friends.

So, SJ, where did you come by all your profundities? You seem to me to be smart and quite wise beyond your years.

Thank you all. I think I'll try to go with the shrimp and grits...although I realize it may end up being disaster of my own creating ; )