• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Your right to not support the Bill or to encourage the Governor to sign the legislation, but why scream ?

Because this is a terrible idea. Why would anyone want Tallahassee to decide what is best for Walton County teachers and students is beyond me. That is what we have elected Mr. Davis and company to do. I trust a local democrat like him far more than I do the Republicans in Tally to address our issues. And I certainly want tax and spending policy set at the local level.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Because this is a terrible idea. Why would anyone want Tallahassee to decide what is best for Walton County teachers and students is beyond me. That is what we have elected Mr. Davis and company to do. I trust a local democrat like him far more than I do the Republicans in Tally to address our issues. And I certainly want tax and spending policy set at the local level.

No it is a good idea (IMO) that you disagree with (IYO).

There is nothing in this bill that will harm good teachers.

As much as I respect Mr. Davis (but disagree with on this issue) he is only one vote of 5 and the others don't have any clue about the issue.

Last edited:
No it is a good idea (IMO) that you disagree with (IYO).

There is nothing in this bill that will harm good teachers.

As much as I respect Mr. Davis (but disagree with on this issue) he is only one vote of 5 and the others don't have any clue about the issue.

This is about local control verus state control. While I disagree about the provisions harming good teachers, the big picture question is who will control education. I vote the local school board.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I guess we could make everyone by an education "policy" rather they wanted to or not and get the type of response you are looking for.

I think this statement is a pretty good example of why Republicans shouldn't be involved in education. :blink:

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
I might be able to get behind this if it held every single person in the management chain responsible; if, for example, a district did not meet their requirements, none of the school board members would be allowed to run for re-election, and the superintendent did not get a raise/bonus, and if a school didn't meet the standard none of the administrators at the school would get a raise/bonus.

By tying only teacher pay to achievement, you're just insuring that all of the management has a real whipping boy now.

It's insane - it's as though Walmart held only their department managers responsible for sales and product quality and not the store managers, buyers, the logistics people responsible for getting the merchandise to the store, the marketing people, the manufacturers or anyone else in the entire company.

Florida Public School Taxes levied more than doubled in the eight year period from 2000 to 2007, from roughly $6.5 billion to $13.2 billion. Compare the student achievement to that and most people would suggest everyone on every level would be fired if held accountable.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Florida Public School Taxes levied more than doubled in the eight year period from 2000 to 2007, from roughly $6.5 billion to $13.2 billion. Compare the student achievement to that and most people would suggest everyone on every level would be fired if held accountable.

Perhaps--if those were the only two variables to consider--but, there are many more.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
Perhaps--if those were the only two variables to consider--but, there are many more.

You are so correct. May we agree that we we could reduce spending on education by half or $6.5 billion and still have same student achievement results? We did that in 2000.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think education is very important - so while I know schools are expensive and obviously think that some changes need to be made, I don't think this can be reduced to being just about $$.

Funding cuts are certainly not the way to go IMO, especially since one of the major complaints I hear from teachers is lack of teaching materials and supplies and infrastructure issues.

I've got a long list of ways to save money, but taking it away from schools is certainly NOT on there. And if more money will improve our schools, our school food, and our education system I am willing to pony up.