• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Did I miss something:angry:!. Has WCSD switch their radio's to the 800 system - if so that is a sad thing for me because I liked knowing what was going on around my neighborhood.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The old mega hertz system has become obsolete and no longer available all over the country. There are better and more reliable systems available but they are no longer free. Hopefully the new systems will be availabe to the public, but probably for a fee. Anyone know how the public can access the new system?

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I think from past meetings I covered way back in the day, the public not being privy to the movements of the Police at that time and now Sheriff's department were part of the reason for the change. And let me clarify when I say public. At a DFS City Hall meeting when Mike Adkinson was chief, it was mentioned that criminal elements were monitoring pd channels and staying a step ahead of law enforcement cause they could hear what they were doing over scanners, to the best of my memory.

henryford

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2006
The real reason is not to element the criminal element from monitoring pd channels. If I thought that was the real reason I would be for it 100%. The real reason is to allow the WCSD to communicate between other state and county PD's which is a great advantage for law enforcement, but to remove local neighborhoods from being able to know what is happing in their area is scary. If there is a scanner system that will allow us to monitor our local sheriff--------need info - neighborhoodn watch

unconquerednole

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2012
The real reason is not to element the criminal element from monitoring pd channels. If I thought that was the real reason I would be for it 100%. The real reason is to allow the WCSD to communicate between other state and county PD's which is a great advantage for law enforcement, but to remove local neighborhoods from being able to know what is happing in their area is scary. If there is a scanner system that will allow us to monitor our local sheriff--------need info - neighborhoodn watch

That's not the reason at all to monitor other local agencies. If your monitoring trust me the bad guys are monitoring which puts officers in harm.

unconquerednole

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2012
I think from past meetings I covered way back in the day, the public not being privy to the movements of the Police at that time and now Sheriff's department were part of the reason for the change. And let me clarify when I say public. At a DFS City Hall meeting when Mike Adkinson was chief, it was mentioned that criminal elements were monitoring pd channels and staying a step ahead of law enforcement cause they could hear what they were doing over scanners, to the best of my memory.

Exactly. That happens all the time. It's a smart safety move!