• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
From Ken Little via email from Claire Bannerman (Ken or Claire - why aren't you posting this stuff???)

The Friends of Scenic 30A, previously known as the Corridor Advocacy Group, will host a mini-charrette on Monday, May 21, at 6 p.m., in the Coastal Branch Library in Santa Rosa Beach.

This meeting will present the current status of the group's quest for designation of County Road 30A as a Florida Scenic Highway. More importantly it will provide a forum for stakeholders to include their ideas for the corridor. Residents and businesses along Scenic 30A, together with other interested groups are urged to attend and contribute to the planning for the corridor.

The word charrette refers to any collaborative session in which a group of designers drafts a solution to a design problem. In urban planning, the charrette has become a technique for consulting with all stakeholders. A charrette promotes joint ownership of solutions and attempts to defuse traditional confrontational attitudes between residents and developers.

The Florida Scenic Highways Program seeks to preserve, enhance and maintain the intrinsic resources of scenic corridors through a sustainable balance of conservation and land use. Through community based consensus, support, and partnerships, the program has proven in other designated corridors to promote economic prosperity and broaden visitors' overall recreational and educational experience.

A Florida Scenic Highway designation can benefit the 30A community in several related areas:

* Resource Protection
* Community Recognition
* Economic Development/Tourism
* Community Vision
* Partnering

The Corridor Management Plan developed by the Friends of Scenic 30A will serve as the guiding document for the future implementation and management of the corridor. The Friends of Scenic 30A will work closely with stakeholders along the corridor, Walton County, the Florida Department of Transportation, and other state officials.

Come on out and help guide the future of 30A on Monday, May 21, 6 p.m. at the Coastal Branch Library.

Thanks for your interest in Walton County!

Ken Little
Citizen Services Director/
Public Information Officer
312 College Avenue, Unit B
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435
tel: (850)892-8530 fax: (850)892-8539
litken@co.walton.fl.us
www.co.walton.fl.us

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
What a great idea!!!

Best thing about charettes is that it invites anyone and everyone who may have a vested (or non-vested) interest in outcome to share their thoughts and opinions and listen to others.

I will try attend for sure!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Charettes are a great way to get a variety of opinions, but I worry about the "scenic corridor" designation after seeing the cluster that is the 98 scenic corridor enforcement. Part of 30A's appeal is its funkiness and eclectic nature. I don't want that destroyed!

Think of all the great signs/sights along 30A that would be banned under the 98 regulations - no more artwork in front of the Gaffrey's house, no giant nutcrackers at the holidays at the shops at Grayton, no banners to announce events in Seaside......

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Charettes are a great way to get a variety of opinions, but I worry about the "scenic corridor" designation after seeing the cluster that is the 98 scenic corridor enforcement. Part of 30A's appeal is its funkiness and eclectic nature. I don't want that destroyed!

Think of all the great signs/sights along 30A that would be banned under the 98 regulations - no more artwork in front of the Gaffrey's house, no giant nutcrackers at the holidays at the shops at Grayton, no banners to announce events in Seaside......

It's a whole different deal. But to be sure, attend the meeting.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Please come to this charette with your concerns and your visions for improving 30A. The process of applying for this designation has been lengthy and has involved thousands of hours by committed citizens who cherish the natural and built environment on 30A. The final application will be submitted in June and if it is approved, will open up a new source of federal and state funds to improve a diverse number of problems on 30A. Issues that may be addressed, and that were noted by the visitors assessing the roadway include unsightly trash containers, lack of public trash facilities, lack of parking facilities, inconsistent and missing signage, overhead utilities poles, poorly marked striping on crosswalks and roadways. The continued involvement of the community will be needed to aritculate and execute this vision. Please search past threads about the scenic 30A designation for further information about the energy that has gone into this for several years.

streakbiker

Beach Comber
May 16, 2007
In reply to Scooterbug44, I don't think the "Scenic" designation for 30-A will affect the eclectic nature of the roadway. In fact it will help to preserve it. This is not an attempt to homogenize the scenery, but rather to enhance its availability. As part of the plan, grants will be sought for Art in Public Places to provide an even more eclectic mix of scenery, both natural and man-made. I would encourage everyone to attend the charrette on 5/21. This is a chance for you to have direct input into the features that will be added to the roadway (improved signage, improved bike path, information kiosks, better bridges, coastal dune lake preservation, mile markers, trolley service, etc.) and to express any concerns you may have. And I here there will be food! :D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

In a nutshell: It the "Pradafication" of SoWal.

Last edited:
After attending this meeting last night it is apparent how much hard work has gone into getting this designation granted. I appears that it will happen towards the end of June. Things for Scenic 30A are looking up. Nice signage, mile markers, kiosk, preservation of dune lakes, lighting that will not interfere with the night sky, and safety measures for all who use the bike paths. It is a special place and those involved are taking the proper steps to insure this for years to come.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
I'm looking for a web site for scenic 30A. None found. It would be nice if "Friends of Scenic 30A" had a place to discuss it and list links. Do they? At the charrette they encouraged folks to come to the friends meeting every other Wednesday at the Dept of Health building. Can email Cindy Meadows at meacindy@co.walton.fl.us.