• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gerryok

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2006
25 mph speed limit from Grayton to Watercoler???

What idiot came up w new 25 mph speed limit????? A child on a tricycle passed me on bike path!

Yes, I believe it is 35 MPH from Seagrove Villas (R.I.P.) all the way to the stretch that is 45MPH by Watersound.
Actually the 35 mph sign for eastbound traffic doesn't appear until just east of the former Seagrove Villas.

25 mph through Alys Beach makes me want to claw my eyeballs out. I don't think I've ever seen a pedestrian cross 30A there unless there is a big event.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm tired of this. I don't think this is a laughing matter, anymore. Skunkape may sound humorous (as always), but there really is an effort by "somebody" to make golf carts acceptable on 30-A. This is, by far, the most unacceptable development in the deterioration of our community that I have even seen. People live and work here, and pay taxes in this community, and I am really getting fed up with this attitude that the tourists can rule our lives. I do not drive fast. I do not drive reckless. I watch out for the goddamm bicyclers. And I feel I have a right to drive the rural parts of 30-A at a safe speed, which, from my thirty years of experience, is about 45 miles per hour. I slow down when entering the towns. But, to be told I have to amble at 25 miles per hour, through the rural parts of this road, because of idiot bicyclers and idiot golf cart riders, that come from some community far far away, that have no such ludicrous ordinances in their town, is just beyond me. I do not intend to drive too fast on 30-A. But if these ridiculous ordinances are continued, you will see people trying to pass on 30-A, like never before, and jeopardizing all of us.

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
IMPORTANT COMMUNITY MEETINGS ON THE ROLE AND WORK OF THE TDC. This may be one of their wonderful ideas and we all know they have had many in the past. Meetings are scheduled as follows. Dec 3 at 5, S.W. Annex., Dec 4 at 9 AM, Walton County Courthouse Boardroom, DeFuniak, Dec 4 at 5, same boardroom in DeFuniak and Dec. 5 at 9 AM, Bayou Arts Center, S.R.B. Get the word out!!! For more info. call Stacey at 267-1216

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
For all of you, it is not just 30A. My wife turned the corner at 30A and 393 the other day and at about Enzo's started slowing down quickly. I thought something had happened to the car and said, "what's the matter?". She said, "notice the flashing lights behind me". Once we found a safe place to stop, we were informed by the sheriff's deputy that we were "speeding". We definitely were going over the 25mph speed limit. He could have noted from my wife's driver's license that we were locals and issued a warning ticket but such was not the case. Were we wrong, yes. But so is the idiotic speed limits in areas surrounding our piece of paradise. I'll close by saying my wife is one of the most conscienous, safe drivers I have ever seen. Even the very good ones get unduly nailed now and then.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
IMPORTANT COMMUNITY MEETINGS ON THE ROLE AND WORK OF THE TDC. This may be one of their wonderful ideas and we all know they have had many in the past. Meetings are scheduled as follows. Dec 3 at 5, S.W. Annex., Dec 4 at 9 AM, Walton County Courthouse Boardroom, DeFuniak, Dec 4 at 5, same boardroom in DeFuniak and Dec. 5 at 9 AM, Bayou Arts Center, S.R.B. Get the word out!!! For more info. call Stacey at 267-1216

You may be barking up the wrong tree when it comes to the TDC and this issue. The TDC has not taken a position on golf carts or speed limits that I'm aware of. However it's a great idea to attend the meeting series on the role of the TDC, since public input is the purpose.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Where the TDC could actually come into play is using some of the TDC funds to build the 2 pedestrian bridges over Western Lake. To get this road back to a sane speed limit and make it safer for bikes and pedestrians, we have to get those bridges built ASAP, and it shouldn't be just citizens paying for it. This is one of the busiest stretches of the bike path, and we needed these bridges 10 or more years ago. Other lakes got bridges, and I always wondered why the busiest stretch didn't get them.

This is an example of one of the issues that needs discussion at these TDC workshops- more TDC sharing of the maintenance and improvements to our infrastructure that is used and burdened by seasonal tourists. They should share the cost.

As for the golf carts, hopefully they will soon go out of fashion along with clothing that has words written on the booty, SoWal as a free-for-all spring break destination, and the private beaches concept of people with too much money and self-importance (golf carts are their perfect accessories :doh:).

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Let's be clear.

The folks who pay bed tax want all of the money spent on marketing. If they say otherwise they are not being truthful. The TDC does what the tax collectors tell them to do. The BCC does what the tax collectors tell them to do.

The only time infrastructure gets done is if a friend of the county profits. Then and only then will money be spent on something other than marketing. And even then it is contentious between bed tax collectors and ole boy network. It's called the WalCo tug of war.

The Western Lake bridges is more expensive than most projects. It hurts bed tax collectors like hell. They don't want it done.

However, elected folks in Walton County wouldn't mind throwing some business to their friends. So what do they do? They lower the speed limit to 25 to get the public leverage behind it.

So folks raise hell and bed tax collectors meet the wedge -public gets used again.