Scenic 30A now 25 MPH between Watercolor and Grayton

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by 30A Skunkape, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Beach Buggys

Beach Buggys Beach Lover

I'm on 30A everyday, and yes i know exactly where the change took place. also the car versus bike was not on 30A, i'll see if i can find the article, but it was in south walton.

2. Beach Buggys

Beach Buggys Beach Lover

not 30A, but still a reminder of what can happen

SANTA ROSA BEACH - An instructor at Georgia Tech died Saturday morning after he was hit by a car while riding his bicycle on U.S. Highway 98 in South Walton County.Kurt Lang Frankel, 33, of Atlanta, was riding his bike east on the shoulder of U.S. 98 when he was struck east of County Road 283...

3. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

What the &@"$ does a bicycle accident on 98 have to do with the impact of golf cart traffic on 30-A? Your credibility is really starting to wear thin.

4. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

So because people were killed riding bikes on a 4 lane highway with speeds of 55 and 65, we lower the speed limit on a 2 lane highway from 40 to 25?

I do think we should have bike paths separate from the roadway on all major roads for safety reasons, and my condolences go out to their families, but let's be realistic. This is all about people wanting to make money off carts and tourists, not concern about safety or improving our community.

5. Beach Bimmer

Beach Bimmer Beach Fanatic

Walton County fixed the signage sometime today so that the 25mph zone now extends from Watercolor to just past Western Lake where the bike path veers away from the road. Then speed increases to 45mph. New red reflectors across the narrow stretches and some flexible reflector poles are installed. Thanks to whomever at the County has been listening to our feedback on SoWal.com about this situation...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

YES, it is all about safety....

Agree again about the absurdity of golf carts on 30-A but you are so wrong in your paranoia about golf carts to turn this into a golf cart issue. It is about the safety of walkers and cyclist ( not the "pro" type) and yes many of these being young children crossing those bridges literally inches away from cars and trucks (not golf carts) usually going faster than 45 mph.

And as to WHY these people would want to do so, it's called EXERCISE on one of the prettiest parts of the bike path. Maybe Jim Bob or Rob Whatever has become so Locatroned that he can't see the beauty of that stretch. Eagles, beaches, lakes... Enjoy the scenery!!! Unfortunately the bad part of it is the bike path
    Is now incorporated across two very dangerous bridges. Just trying to make that safer until the pedestrian bridges can be added to the bike path.

Make your "golfer" conspiracy part of another thread. This is really getting to be ridiculous

7. Augie

Augie Beach Comber

Whatever, you don't just roll in to town loop-hole'n with politicians, and changing speed limits at a wave of the hand. This isn't dumb luck. I know a snake oil salesman when I see one.

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Thanks, Beach Bimmer for the info. And thanks to whoever made this decision.

9. BeachRob

BeachRob Beach Lover

It's both.

I resemble that statement. :cool: I live here. Drive that stretch all the time. Name's not Jim Bob.

I agree with you, and Kurt, that 30A from Watercolor to Grayton is gorgeous.

Now, is it

grb-western-lake-from-road.jpg
    Home_Alone_Boy1.jpg
    l.jpg
    52-car-pile-up.jpg

gorgeous?

Well, that's a matter of personal interpretation.

I love my commute. And, for like 30 seconds each day, I get to see eagles and beaches, and lakes!

It's still a commute. (I'd rather be doing it on 30-A than 98!)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

Dumb.....

.....is your posting. Whenever someone starts their rant with "Whatever" it tells me they are self absorbed with their own opinion and have very little to offer in an open discussion. You must have been drinking that snake oil in the wee hours of this morning. I'll have to look up " loop-hole'n" in the dictionary. I'm sure its there. Must have been "looped" on the snake oil. I'll put this

one with the others in the conspiracy file. It's about S-A-F-E-T-Y !!!!

And Yes thanks to those with the County for re-adjusting the speed limits but more importantly for making traffic more aware of the pedestrian crossings on the bridges and making that a S-A-F-E-R crossing now.

And if Tom Thumbs is that dangerous an area then by all means DO something about it.

11. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

And now that the speed limits are lower through there you will be able to enjoy the scenery longer. Just be careful and look out for the walkers, joggers and cyclists crossing the bridge. Maybe you should join them. It's really enjoyable and now a lot
    S-A-F- E-R.

12. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

By the way......

Mr. BeachRob your postings are most entertaining. Very creative.

13. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

This is good news. I did note the reflectors and lollipops this morning but did not notice a return of 45MPH signs. I'll take your word for it and be all [​IMG] when I see it!!

14. AirRocker

AirRocker Beach Lover

From The Walton Sun on Facebook just a bit ago:

458451_371825302907019_1410374537_o.jpg

15. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

The great thing is.......

....that people are noticing the reflectors and lollipops at this area to remind them to slow down and look out for pedestrian traffic. I believe the County got it exactly right with the speed limits set as indicated above. Gosh, at least it refutes the golfer theorists.

16. BeachRob

BeachRob Beach Lover

photo-20 copy.jpg
    photo-20.jpg
    grinch-smiling.jpeg

17. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

The 25 mph speed limit between the west end of Western Lake and Watercolor has nothing to do with golf cart theorists. They are referring to from 83 to Grayton Beach corner. The area at Western Lake has to do, as previously stated, with safety. I believe a large part of the reason for the much desired 25mph speed limit in that area belongs to our newly elected Commissioner, Cindy Meadows.

18. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

You're right Andy A it never was about.....

....golfers but there were a lot of posts on this thread that tried to make it that issue. This was all about making for a safer and more enjoyable experience on the bike path for our Guests and Citizens of South Walton.

You are also right that the BCC deserves a loud Thank You for finding a rational solution to this safety issue. It is refreshing to know that our elected officials will listen and find solutions to problems.

For me this is enough on this issue. Addressed and resolved.

Now let's move on to addressing the next big issue.... like keeping golf carts off of 30-A!!!!

19. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

That is until......

..... the permanent pedestrian bridges are built for the Western Lake bike path which would be the end result for the safety issue.

Also, kudos to Commissioner Meadows for her comments at the recent TDC meeting that I just read on the Walton Sun site. One, thanks for being there and thanks for understanding that taking care of the infrastructures must begin to take precedence at this time over stuffing more bodies onto our beaches and roadways. It will be good to know that now some of the TDC funds will be used for the enrichment of the infrastructure.

20. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

"Stuffing" Now that is the perfect word for what is happening- trying to stuff more visitors into a space that was too small awhile ago!