• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Trolleys/public transportation is not the answer to the golf cart problem. People who rent the golf carts would not be inconvenienced by any form of of public transportation on their vacation. I know I sound cynical, but think about it.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
I think one of the main issues, too, is that people think 30-A is smaller than it actually is. It looks small on a tourist map. But, the road is 20 miles long. Seagrove to Grayton is a 10 mile + round trip, that can take over 20 minutes each way by cart. Seacrest to Grayton and back is undoable.

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 9.34.45 AM.png

false.jpg

Last edited:

Augie

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2012
Public Transportation is not a total solution, I agree. But we have politics involved here. They don't care about opinions, statistics, or even the better good of the community. You have to beat them at their own game. Anyone planning on addressing a county official on this matter must be prepared to table more than an opinion. A better solution to the traffic during peak season would be hard to be ignored. Flooding the area with golf carts isn't even logistically possible, I mean really where are they even going to park?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
We have to do something about traffic and parking problems. Paving paradise for golf carts is not a solution.

Tourists ride public transportation at most resorts and vacation destinations, why is everyone convinced they won't do so here?

Grayton ran its own shuttle this summer to help with their parking problems. Tourists rode it. Go to Sandestin and you will take a shuttle.

I am not saying it is a magical 100% solution, but it is obviously far better than a fleet of drunken tourists and kids in golf carts.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
I think one of the main issues, too, is that people think 30-A is smaller than it actually is. It looks small on a tourist map. But, the road is 20 miles long. Seagrove to Grayton is a 10 mile + round trip, that can take over 20 minutes each way by cart. Seacrest to Grayton and back is undoable.

A golf cart modified to an LSV has a much shorter range than a true factory built LSV and your statement is true in this case, but the factory built LSV's such as Zone and Star will easily make the round trip from seacrest to grayton, or the trip from seagrove to grayton multiple times on a single charge. Assuming that the proper maintanance and upkeep has been done on the batteries.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Would the idea of changing the speed limit on a "State Scenic Highway" by the county be allowed?

Just wondering?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Would the idea of changing the speed limit on a "State Scenic Highway" by the county be allowed?

Just wondering?

Read the link above. Who knows what the law actually is. My prediction with this is that those of us who don't see the wisdom of prostituting ourselves out to tourists to make a buck will raise enough of a stink to be offered the 'compromise' of raising the 25MPH limit to 35MPH. Of course, this is not a win at all for locals as it will open up the stretch in question to golfers. I say we need to stick to our guns, a portion of 30-A between the Western Lake bridge and Grayton should remain 45MPH. No reason this needs to change. There have been zero accidents, zero complaints, zero changes in population density...45-45-45!!!

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Read the link above. Who knows what the law actually is. My prediction with this is that those of us who don't see the wisdom of prostituting ourselves out to tourists to make a buck will raise enough of a stink to be offered the 'compromise' of raising the 25MPH limit to 35MPH. Of course, this is not a win at all for locals as it will open up the stretch in question to golfers. I say we need to stick to our guns, a portion of 30-A between the Western Lake bridge and Grayton should remain 45MPH. No reason this needs to change. There have been zero accidents, zero complaints, zero changes in population density...45-45-45!!!

+1 Agreed

carts2.jpg

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
This is me halfway over western lake.

sleeping.jpg

They are enforcing it, too. Sherriff pulled over a Porsche this afternoon.

-Sir, Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

-I dunno... "idle"?

PULLED OVER.jpg

:rotfl:

Last edited: