1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenic 30A Re-opened Between Hwy 393 and Hwy 83 @ Draper Lake

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by kurt, May 8, 2014.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The Walton County Department of Public Works has recently closed CR 30A at Draper Lake between Hwy 393 and Hwy 83 to through traffic. The Public Works Department is continuing to assess damage that has occurred to CR 30A due to the recent flood event.

This is a temporary closing for inspection and repair.

At this time, it is not known how long the process will take.

We will continue to keep the public up to date as the process moves forward.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

At your service,

Louis E. Svehla
    Public Information Manager
    Walton Board of County Commissioners

2. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Kurt, if you are in direct communication with Mr. Svehla, can you ask him to give us a statement about the status of the Dune Allen bridge project? Thanks.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Update on CR 30A at Draper Lake between Highways 393 and 83.

As of yesterday, May 8th, the County Public Works Department closed a stretch of CR 30A at Draper Lake between Hwy 393 and Hwy 83. This closure was necessary due to a small opening becoming apparent in the roadway.

As Public Works crews have assessed the situation, it is believed that there may be a culvert failure under the roadway that is undermining the integrity of the road bed.

It has been determined that for the sake of safety, that section of CR 30A will remain closed at this time.

In order to move forward with the opening of the road, and to ensure the safety of those traveling that section of CR 30A, Public Works crews will be installing a temporary bailey bridge over that area. At this time, it is unknown how long that process will take.

During the time the temporary bridge is being installed, the Public Works department will continue to assess that section of road to identify the main cause of the current failure and work towards a permanent solution.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but will continue working towards reopening that section of 30A once it has been deemed safe for travel.

We will continue to provide updates as they become available.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

At your service,

Louis E. Svehla
    Public Information Manager
    Walton Board of County Commissioners

4. unclecarl

unclecarl Beach Comber

But no update on the Dune Allen bridge project reportedly scheduled for completion on 29 March?

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    So how do I get from Seagrove to Stinky's?

6. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

You can't get there from there. :rolling:

395 to 98 to 393 to 30A to detour around the lake back to 30A.

7. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Argh! Reminds me of leaving a FL-GA football game in Jacksonville. We were stuck in traffic and asked a police officer how to get to Patti's Italian restaurant on Beach Blvd (it no longer exists) where we were joining a group of family members. He said, "You can't get there from here." WTF? We were amazed by his response. We weren't asking for driving directions to the moon, just for the correct turn to take to get to JAX beach. :bang:

8. unclecarl

unclecarl Beach Comber

So 30A is down at both Draper Lake as well as in Dune Allen, just before the prime tourist season. That should work out well for businesses along that route.

9. agenthr

agenthr Beach Comber

Making progress at Draper

Attached Files:

10. coondog

coondog Beach Lover

If the county would just keep some of our tax dollars south of the busy and maintain the bridges and culverts, we wouldn't have theses issues.

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

While I want to agree with the mantra that is akin to "bless you" in the south end, the fact is that maintenance probably wouldn't have solved this issue. The culverts just are going to handle the rain we had and once plugged it's all over anyway.

All of the culverts need to be replaced with bridges. The original coastal dune lake system extended well into Bay county as well, but Front Beach Road destroyed it. This is Google maps by 79:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2226362,-85.8880121,16z

You can't honestly tell me that coastal dune lakes just happened to fall into the convenient borders of Walton County.

All of that said the replacements will take time, but so do most road projects. I'm a little bitter about the Oyster lake project taking so long, but that doesn't mean that the other lakes need the same thing. Many long time locals should also remember when the Eastern Lake bridge was replaced, but at the time there were very few residents affected and an absence of media and online complaining made the project pass with little to no issue. Once a bridge is installed and traffic begins flowing the inconvenience is quickly forgotten.

12. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

For the record I also hold the belief that Choctawhatchee Bay is just a very large version of the coastal dune lake system and that's why Destin and Okaloosa county have spent decades dredging the Destin pass. Even the lagoon is probably just an ancient outfall.

13. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Yes, for my wish list (which doesn't include a Trader Joe's and a Costco, by the way), I would love to see all causeway/culvert situations replaced with bridges, but, especially in light of the dismal performance in the Dune Allen project, I just don't think our county is up to the challenge. From the one photo I've seen of the Draper Lake scene, I don't have any confidence that these situations will be resolved with beauty and grace in a timely fashion. When, and if, the Dune Allen project is finished, and we all can say "wow, this is really nice", then there might be a speck of hope. The Dune Allen project is going into it's seventh month...

14. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

On a side note, this diversion has shown the need for a traffic light at the intersection of 83 and 98.

I live off 83 and travel through that intersection a few times a day. It amazes me the number of drivers who want the road completely clear before they will go.

15. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

It amazes me the number of drivers who think pulling out into traffic and causing others to slam on their brakes is okay.

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

You're both right, they need a stop light.

17. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

we are heading down in mid June and selfishly hope the road is open. We do try to leave our van parked and walk or ride our bikes. We'll just be inconvenienced once I guess. Ellen

18. unclecarl

unclecarl Beach Comber

Another stop light on 98! So we're going to create a permanent problem in an effort to address what we all know to be a temporary one while the county fumbles around with the bridges? I understand that those who now need to use 83 to get out of the Blue Mountain area want safe access to 98. That's a given. But do we really need to reduce the average travel speed on our major east west artery even further? Has any thought been given to another east west road that might tie one or more of the beach communities together, located north of 30A and south of 98? That might reduce the traffic flow on 30A and give locals a safe way to access 98 via a current road with a light.

19. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

There are some already, but I don't want to get my car dirty.

20. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

unclecarl as someone who lives in BMB year round, I'd like a stop light there permanently. In my opinion, it's more important than having one for the Publix.

395 has a light, 393 has a light, and 283 has a light. Why not 83?