• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

flapjack

Beach Crab
Jun 3, 2008
We are relocating to the Seagrove area. I have 2 elementary-aged kids who are bright and in a wonderful academic/creative private school. Would like to figure out best schools path for them, whether public or private. What are best options -- elementary, middle and high. Tests scores are somewhat important. Ideas, please. I am not willing to make the move if the education is not there.

Thank you.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
If you live in Seagrove, you will be zoned for Bay Elementary School, which is just 4 miles up 395 (and very close by for SoWal standards). It is a wonderful small school that has the feel of a private school with a lot of parent involvement. All of the FCAT scores are not out yet, but the 3rd grade at Bay had the highest overall test scores of any 3rd grade in the county. Bay's first year as a K-5 school was last year and it received an "A+" rating. Butler is also a good school, but you will not be zoned for Butler (but your kids can also go there).

South Walton Montessori Academy has moved to Point Washington, and is near Bay Elementary. We've had personal experience with this school and enjoyed it, but couldn't afford it with 3 kids in the school.

For middle school, a beautiful new middle school (Emerald Coast) is planned for the intersection of HWY 98 and HWY 395. The school is scheduled to open in 2 years. Emerald Coast is currently located behind Butler Elem. in an addition that will become part of Butler once the new school is built. Another option is Seaside Neighborhood School which is a charter middle school that is one of the top 10 middle schools in Florida. Enrollment is by lottery--some years chances are good, some years not.

South Walton High School is new and small. Overall it is a good school with an "A" rating.

There are a few other private schools in outlying communities. However, I think you'll be satisfied with the school choices in South Walton. For a small rural area, many families are very well educated and have high expectations for quality education.

ElitoDJ

Beach Comber
May 28, 2008
My daughter went to Seaside Middle School. She has now graduated from high school and attending college. Looking back on her education I think Seaside was the key to her success. Seaside is the kind of school you are looking for but it starts with 6th grade. We now have a Montessori school at Pt. Washington. (K-5) It would have been nice to have that option when my daughter was that age. However, I think both elementary schools are good. Bay Elementary is certainly in the most beautiful area. It is very peaceful and quaint.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I agree....Seaside Neighborhood school was wonderful. Bay Elem. is sweet and the Montessori School, I have heard, is amazing as well.

flapjack

Beach Crab
Jun 3, 2008
ElitoDJ, what high school did you daughter attend?

Thanks for all the great advice. Makes me feel better.

Looked online but can't find numbers. Any idea of tuition at Seaside and Montessori?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Thanks for all the great advice. Makes me feel better.

Looked online but can't find numbers. Any idea of tuition at Seaside and Montessori?

Seaside is a public charter school and thus free. Someone else will chime in about the Montessori but I know it has financial aid.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Okay, as a school board member, maybe I should jump in here. All of the public school is south Walton are excellent. The charter middle school and the Montessori are outstanding by all accounts. But, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the public schools.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I'd call the schools here good but not great. But then I'm picky and don't think that there's any truly great school in the central time zone part of Florida.

Top tier of graduating students in the high schools here will tyipcally go on to a perfectly good flagship state school, but you don't see much in the way of students headed toward the US News top 25 national schools.

Not bad by any means, but you're not going to find a New Trier or Grosse Pointe level school district in the FL Panhandle.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
We've had 2 go through Butler, then at Seaside, and 1 going to SWHS next year. We have been very involved in our children's education (sometimes they think too involved!) and their schools. All of the schools have been very welcoming and appreciative of parent involvement. The great thing about getting involved in the schools here is that they are still very small compared to most places and the work that you do really does make a difference. In our experience, your child's education is directly tied to what you make of it. Every year it's getting better thanks to the parents that have gone before you. Jdarg, the Buzzetts, and many others are prime examples.

We are also finding that Florida offers so many options when it comes to high school. There is SWHS, dual enrollment with OWC (free college classes), the Florida virtual school (also free and for lower grades as well), and the collegiate high school at OWC. Florida really is very generous when it comes to higher education. There are so many programs available to lower the cost of going to college. If your child qualifies for Bright Futures, you've got it made if they go to a Florida college.

Last edited: