• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That may be the purpose, but is it reality? If it is about ensuring that students receive a top-notch education, why is most of the focus and concern on the lower 25% of the students? Isn't that portion of the classes the focus on the testing improvements? What about the top 25%? Sure, there may be AP classes here and there, but why is there such a focus on the bottom 25%?

its all about the test. the schools must perform to maintian a certain grade (schools receive grades based on student performance on the FCAT/state test). so the focus is on getting all students to a certain minimum level. lower performing children need the most help to reach the level. it is truly a bad goal, imo. children do not perform the same, learn the same, achieve the same, etc. but, we're doing our best to standardize children, teachers, schools. it is quite appalling to me.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wait! A NObama sticker? Why would anyone from another business put Republican stickers on Republican cars? That doesn't even make sense. Isn't it more likely a wingnut supporter giving a misguided gift?

Where would a random restaurant employee even get NObama stickers? And what would be the point? Some kind of Ashley Todd move? Ridiculous.

Sounds like someone at the Republican Headquarters was placing the stickers.:scratch:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tootsie, I couldn't agree more, and that is why I question the reality of the School Board. It seems that receiving more money for the schools is the focus, and you get more money by focusing on the bottom 25% (no child left behind) of the students. Charlie Rose interviewed the 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2008 Teacher of the Year for the entire USA, a few months ago. Probably archived on his site, www.charlierose.com, and at least one of them had some interesting things to say about teaching to the tests for money. It is well worth the watch, and the difference between each of them is eye-opening.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Tootsie, I couldn't agree more, and that is why I question the reality of the School Board. It seems that receiving more money for the schools is the focus, and you get more money by focusing on the bottom 25% of the students. Charlie Rose interviewed the 2005, 2006, and 2007 Teacher of the Year for the entire USA, a few months ago. Probably archived on his site, www.charlierose.com, and two of them had some interesting things to say about teaching to the tests for money. It is well worth the watch.

thanks, would love to see this. The best teachers and administrators know that this system is not conducive to best education practices. I've had a school counselor nearly apologize to me about the FCAT being the focus of the school curriculum - but I feel that when the school leaders know there is something wrong with this, then they are probably trying their best to work around it. The best teachers can provide a good education environment for their students in spite of the test. still, we need to increase our expectations for learning.

school boards - that is another matter. I question their validity and their necessity and everything about them. just too political.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
So does anyone know why Robert Nelson hasn't commented on this thread? He is normally so quick to respond, I find it interesting that he is M.I.A here.

I find it interesting that you would infer something from his posting pattern,

He does post here alot. Mildred has never posted on this site.

Robert is 10 days from an election. He is busy campaigning I guess.

You can email him at wrobertnelson@gmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.