• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I would like to hear people's thoughts on school fundraisers. These things have really bothered me for the last several years. With the district budget ballooning and then I am constantly getting hit up for money since I own a business in DeFuniak Springs. I sort of understand them raising money to do things like go on Senior Trip, yet I do have a problem with this being done during school hours when they are suppose to be learning. But I also have been asked to purchase discount cards to fund sports jerseys and recently heard that there is one ongoing in south Walton to purchase warm up uniforms for baseball players at ECMS. Yet I sit in on budget hearings where I am being told that we keep $200K+ in a fence fund, just in case the school board decides in wants to build a fence one day.

Does anyone know why coaches do not submit these requests to the district to be funded or if they do? And if so, where they are getting turned down? I never hear any of this mentioned at a budget meeting, everyone says everything is okay, but as soon as school starts, here they come a knocking. Students should be spending time learning skills that relate to furthering their education, while selling is certainly a skill, maybe we could have a special for credit class that teaches them the finer points.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I would like to hear people's thoughts on school fundraisers. These things have really bothered me for the last several years. With the district budget ballooning and then I am constantly getting hit up for money since I own a business in DeFuniak Springs. I sort of understand them raising money to do things like go on Senior Trip, yet I do have a problem with this being done during school hours when they are suppose to be learning. But I also have been asked to purchase discount cards to fund sports jerseys and recently heard that there is one ongoing in south Walton to purchase warm up uniforms for baseball players at ECMS. Yet I sit in on budget hearings where I am being told that we keep $200K+ in a fence fund, just in case the school board decides in wants to build a fence one day.

Does anyone know why coaches do not submit these requests to the district to be funded or if they do? And if so, where they are getting turned down? I never hear any of this mentioned at a budget meeting, everyone says everything is okay, but as soon as school starts, here they come a knocking. Students should be spending time learning skills that relate to furthering their education, while selling is certainly a skill, maybe we could have a special for credit class that teaches them the finer points.

I covered the last meeting for Pat, since he had to cover a sports event. Very interesting meeting:blink: I think you are raising some good questions as well.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
It's tough, WaltonGOP. Schools these days try to be everything to everyone, from fulfilling their educational charge and extraciricular activities to serving as daycare and entertainment for kids. They've got to fund those 'extra' activities.

I used to work for the Boy Scouts, and the boys raised money to fund the program and their activities by selling popcorn (girl scouts sell cookies...) The timing always ran up against the cookie dough sale, the pizza kit sale, the holiday decoration sale, etc. that the schools did. There were kids that participated in them all. Parents would express to me that they were overwhelmed with fundraisers. From my point of view (obviously) our sale was more worthwhile and defendable, as it was done by kids that wanted to be a part of that group, and the kids got to use the money raised in their units. It also taught the boys at an early age confidence and selling skills. It was all done voluntarily by kids that were actively involved in the scouts.

The school fundraisers, at least at the elementary level, always seemed to be to raise money for books or school equipment. Those should be funded by the school district, to the extent that they are necessary. Fundraisers for uniforms, trips or whatever don't bother me, because those should be funded by the efforts of the kids. Band uniforms and trips cost money, sports too.

I do get that you as a business owner are overwhelmed by all of it, though. Everyone has their hands out.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I personally think the fundraising and the activities they fund are getting a touch out of control. I understand that they help offset the costs of trips, uniforms, equipment, etc. but IMO the amount of money/percentage that the students get as their cut is not high enough and they are raising money for things that aren't so much needed as wanted to keep up with the Jones School District/teammate.

It's a sad fact of life that our schools don't get as much money as they should and I definitely think they should be a higher priority in the budgetary process, but at some point we need to draw the line.

Warm up uniforms? When I was in school our UNIFORMS were at least a decade old and that's what you wore to warm up in. :dunno: We supplied alot of our equipment (coaches bought a lot too) and our parents/us footed the bill for stuff that wasn't standard issue/couldn't be reused, but we didn't fundraise for more than 3 or 4 things the entire year.

Out of state/cross country trips for competitions, non-competition sports apparel, photo packages, etc. I am sure many parents would love to draw the line and not shell out the $ either.

In my perfect world, the school would get all the $ they need and there would be no need for fundraising, but it's also a world where people say "no, you don't need it."

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
It's a sad fact of life that our schools don't get as much money as they should and I definitely think they should be a higher priority in the budgetary process, but at some point we need to draw the line.
In my perfect world, the school would get all the $ they need and there would be no need for fundraising, but it's also a world where people say "no, you don't need it."

But they do not ask for it. I go to the school budget hearings and nothing like this is ever presented. The board ask are we adequately funding the sports. They talk about what is it going to cost to make something a sport, like they recently did with cheerleading. They tell the money changers that work for them to fund the activities. Yet I still get hit up for money on a regular basis. If these things were requested and turned down because there was no money, I could understand. But I do not see these things being requested. But I do see them holding fundraisers during school hours.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
What kills me is the amount of $$ Bay elementary PTO has just spent on the new gym....:blink:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
What kills me is the amount of $$ Bay elementary PTO has just spent on the new gym....:blink:

But why? What did they purchase? If it is equipment the district ought to give them their money back and let it go into classrooms or something worthwhile. Over the last four years we have purchased some fine statutes and spent some dollars landscaping the district office repeatedly. We also get the school district employee vans detailed on a pretty regular basis. So I would think we could find money to do something worthwhile, like spend it on a gym.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
But why? What did they purchase? If it is equipment the district ought to give them their money back and let it go into classrooms or something worthwhile. Over the last four years we have purchased some fine statutes and spent some dollars landscaping the district office repeatedly. We also get the school district employee vans detailed on a pretty regular basis. So I would think we could find money to do something worthwhile, like spend it on a gym.

I am not privy to all the history on this new gym we have. I think the county paid for the building but the PTO had to finish it?? I think the PTO just approved somewhere around $25,000 to put flooring in??? Other people have donated $$ for equipment, etc. I know that some of the older PTO members are on this board, Yall come out of lurking and fill us in...:wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

wow. it seems that a new building should be funded by the school system, in its entirety, including equipment. otherwise, they should not have built it. the students at bay have played outside for many many years and got along well without a gym.

I'm not saying they didn't need it, but if the school board couldn't pay for it, then they should not have built it.

I had no idea! surely the school board had to approve and fund this? it's a capital project!

I believe the parents organization should do a few fundraisers a year to help offset materials needed by the school, instead of having parents send in a truck load of supplies on day one.

other than that, the school board needs to get input from each school as to their budgetary needs and projects.

I am very interested in finding out why teachers/principals are not lining up asking for funds for improvements, supplies, projects, etc. for their schools. maybe its not permitted? maybe its frowned upon? funds not available?