• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The problem you had is an over zealous turtle volunteer. If they didn't show proper ID, I would not have let them in my door. Probably not even with, come to think of it. You now what you had bought and it was none of their business.

My biggest concern is that someone was able to get your address via your vehicle tag. If the person that came to your door was not a LEO, then there has been a violation punishable by jail for giving out that information. I know this because I used to be a supervisor of a SO communications center.

I love the turtles and admire the people who take care of them but they shouldn't, if they did, barge into your home.

Please do not target the Turtle Walkers. (Bold italics above is mine)This was not one of them. All Turtle Walkers either wear a white or a blue shirt and it states South Walton Turtle Watch Volunteer right on it. I know because I'm one of them. The person who showed up in a brown shirt leads me to think Fish and Wildlife. They were on the beach on a 4-wheeler this morning while we were moving a Loggerhead nest and that guy wears a brown shirt. The shirt also has a badge on it.

You're very right to be upset about someone barging in like they did. Please let us all know what you find out as you track this further. I welcome any questions you may have about the turtle walkers that could help quell any doubts you may have about them.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Sounds like the scenario I outlined above is exactly what happened. As ASH said, this was not some "turtle police" or Turtle watch volunteer. This sounds like it was a F&G officer following up on a report of someone possessing an endangered species. With dead and dying turtles washing up on our shores due to that oil and it also being prime nesting season, sounds like he was just doing his job. I am sure that he would have been happy to provide his badge and other credentials if asked.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Because "Uniformed Law Enforcement checking out a tip that the turtle we just bought was legal" is such a boring title. :roll:

P.S. Most of Sowal has or can easily get the code to your "gated community" - it's not like the Berlin Wall.

Last edited:

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
The problem you had is an over zealous turtle volunteer. If they didn't show proper ID, I would not have let them in my door. Probably not even with, come to think of it. You now what you had bought and it was none of their business.

My biggest concern is that someone was able to get your address via your vehicle tag. If the person that came to your door was not a LEO, then there has been a violation punishable by jail for giving out that information. I know this because I used to be a supervisor of a SO communications center.

I love the turtles and admire the people who take care of them but they shouldn't, if they did, barge into your home.

I hope it is clear that it was NOT an "overzealous turtle volunteer".

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Most definitely not!

This was someone from the government acting on a tip - NOT A VOLUNTEER.

It is weird though, and the manner in which the rep apparently acted suggests a lack of wisdom - or something. Turtles are in the early part of the nesting season right now, are they not? So the only turtles on the beach would not be newborns, they would be adults weighing anywhere from 100-400 pounds. So turtle stealing would be ... uh, UNLIKELY. It is one thing to check on a tip; quite another to act in the manner described.

Maybe we are all just traumatized right now and it is presenting itself in odd and unpredictable ways. I feel like I learned something from this story, not sure what. :blink:

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
I like this answer.

Sounds like the scenario I outlined above is exactly what happened. As ASH said, this was not some "turtle police" or Turtle watch volunteer. This sounds like it was a F&G officer following up on a report of someone possessing an endangered species. With dead and dying turtles washing up on our shores due to that oil and it also being prime nesting season, sounds like he was just doing his job. I am sure that he would have been happy to provide his badge and other credentials if asked.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The description of the behavior is very much in line with how law enforcement deals with those trafficking in endangered species.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It is weird though, and the manner in which the rep apparently acted suggests a lack of wisdom - or something. Turtles are in the early part of the nesting season right now, are they not? So the only turtles on the beach would not be newborns, they would be adults weighing anywhere from 100-400 pounds. So turtle stealing would be ... uh, UNLIKELY. It is one thing to check on a tip; quite another to act in the manner described.

It would be unusual, but certainly not unheard of. Fact of the matter is that biologists still have a great deal of uncertainty about where small sea turtles spend their first few years. It is thought that many hang out in the sargassum mats, and as you know, sargassum frequently washes up on the beaches. From time to time sick or dead smaller sea turtles have stranded on our beaches. And, there is also the huge habitat destruction going on out there. It wouldn't be a surprise to see all kinds of sea creatures moving around.
I have seen FWCC officers on the beaches every day now since the oil got close. They wear brown uniforms, and as the name (Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) suggests, they are not the "turtle police." They enforce fishing and hunting laws as well as endangered species laws.
And, we don't really know that the manner described is accurate.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
FWC are sworn LEO's and fall under the same guidelines as other deputies, DOT, etc. They can't just barge into your home and check for a turtle. Once the door was opened, he may have been rather insistant that he be able to see the turtle. I doubt he pounded on the door and shoved his way in.

As always, there are two sides. Often, exact events or words and actions are remembered only the way they made you feel.