• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

northender

Beach Comber
Feb 28, 2008
How can we let a festival slip through our fingers. it was at the commish meeting that Mr. Hudson really put the festival down, Thanks,oh well I guess we will have to go to PC next year for this event.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My guess is that it had to do with not being able to accommodate the large crowd, and they want everyone to shop at Pier Park. Remember when Eden State Park lost ArtsQuest to Sandestin? Need to sell more $8 Budweisers, and give people an excuse to shop at Baytowne Wharf. I'm guessing the same thing was presented to Jazz Fest. The difference in this scenario is that Walton County is losing much revenue to Bay County.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The PCB TDC was all in a tizzy over this coupe. I'm sure they paid thru the nose for it as well.

BJD

Beach Crab
Dec 11, 2007
The PCB TDC was all in a tizzy over this coupe. I'm sure they paid thru the nose for it as well.

Actually, the festival organizer only asked that the PCB TDC/CVB become a $10,000 sponsor. He stated that this was the same amount that the Walton TDC provided.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Too bad Walton County and South Walton lost that event. Too bad article in Panama City News Herald and guess this Destin Log paper lists event in Destin!! This reporter needs some geography lessons. Hopefully, most of the Jazz festival guests will continue to stay in Walton County and the beautiful beaches of South Walton. Pier Park is within the old original boundaries of Walton County and quite close to some eastern parts of South Walton. Perhaps we can work on getting it back -- both the jazz festival and the Pier Park area.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I worked Jazz Fest around two years ago. Meaning I did everything from setting up the tents for the actual event to staying on top of security to covering the green room and taking performers back and forth for their gigs. We handled it well but it was the one that was held at the golf course and many owners complained when they weren't allowed in the green room or to be able to go and come as they please or about the noise. Crowd control was a nightmare with the addition of alcohol. I had to drag a few off the air speakers after one performer ask the crowd to rush the stage :angry:

In the end I think it is a great source of revenue but you have to have a large enough area for 5,000 people including parking for them and in a place where owners of condos and such have to follow the same rules as the rest of those attending unless they have a vip pass or something like that. I'm thinking a huge open field with no neighbors to complain from my experience.:dunno: Just my .02.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought last year's Jazz Fest went quite well and that it was a great event that brought in many great people. What did I miss? :dunno:

Joyce Owen

SoWal Staff
Oct 8, 2007
SoWal.com
I can guess a bigger venue like Pier Park with no residents to complain about noise was only one reason. More ticket sales. They couldn't expand at Gulf Place. Seascape was a mess. There's no place else in South Walton for a bigger crowd. It makes sense to look elsewhere.
Pier Park isn't that far to drive. The parking will be much improved. There's already an ampitheater for concerts.
Bob Hudson's complaints alone didn't force the change. It seemed to be a coincidence that the news of the move came about the same time as the BCC meeting.
Mark and Renee win, South Walton loses.