1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Seagrove killed us

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Underthebluemoon, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Underthebluemoon

Underthebluemoon Beach Lover

Just got back from a two-week stay in Mexico, where we compared EVERYTHING to the panhandle.

The panhandle won every time ~the sand is softer, the people are cooler, the sunsets are prettier, and you can drink the water. We have already booked our trip for next summer in Seagrove, and we're coming down in November for a long weekend without the kids. Any suggestions on a romantic-type place to stay in Grayton?

2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

They have better Mexican food down there. ;-)

If you like the street party atmosphere - stay above the Zoo Gallery. More romantic would be Hibiscus House B&B.

3. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

...that is, unless this native texas girl is down in SoWal cooking... ;-)

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Hello native...I was born in Houston many years ago and have lived in Dallas since starting SMU in '72 (1972 that is). Where you from?

5. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Let me know what time to show up.

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Seagrove didn't KILL you...you have just come under the spell of the SoWal spirit! Don't worry, it's one of the good spirits! I know what you are saying though...the only other beach I have found that I can "TOLERATE" is Anguilla. The island is not yet overbuilt, the people are so friendly and the food is great.

7. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Hey Sueshore, Houston high-five! [​IMG]

I'm glad to hear we win out over Mexico. It's how we discovered Sowal, actually, searching for a place with turquoise beaches like the Riviera Maya, but a little closer. I think we found it. And as I said, when we're cooking up the breakfast tacos con huevos, pico guacamole, mojo-marinated fajitas, special chicken enchiladas and john's perfect margaritas with fresh squeezed juice....heh...you'll never need to go south of the border again. My dad ("Tex") taught me these recipes, and someday I'm going to hold a little fiesta for you all in seacrest....

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Yummy, yummy in the tummy! Muy bien!

So, KB, how was it for you the first time you saw the beach and water on the FL gulf? After growing up on the beaches of Galveston, I was absolutely STUNNED when I saw them 18 years ago! I remember standing on the balcony of the Sandestin condo with my mouth open. It made no sense to me...the difference between the two!

9. Underthebluemoon

There is just something about sitting on that beach in Seagrove, Mojito in hand, waiting for sunset, that can not be matched. I am not religious at ALL, but I have had some serious feelings of zen while sitting there (could also be the rum in the mojito, but anyway....)

We tried it in Mexico, several times, but between the vendors trying to sell you conch shells that sound like horns, and sunglasses, the smell of the wave runner fumes, the obnoxious tourists who throw their cigarette butts into the sand as tho they're going to magically va-pooh-rize, sipping on a $10 watered down mojito made with TEQUILA --nah, it's just not the same.

I have a SERIOUS overpacking problem. And because I am so used to driving to Seagrove and bringing whatever I can sneak into the car without my husband noticing, i.e. the espresso machine, my juicer, tabletop lime squeezer, crockpot (for making shredded bbq beef fajitas,) my hand weights (that I never use, but bring every year anyway in case I decide to "workout," the deep fryer (for fried chicken, of course,)-- I overpacked soooo much that they charged me an extra 85 bucks for my suitcase, because it went over the weight limit for US Airways by 18 pounds. :idontno:

10. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Yes, SoWal is zen for me too. When it's calm and blue I always say it looks like seeing infinity.

Where were you in Mexico?

:blink: .....and did you really bring an espresso machine there? could i have finally found someone more caffeinated than myself? :lol:

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I think there is a program out there for you....my husband always overpacks when we go to FL! I always remind him that you end up wearing the same thing over and over...it has helped him cut back!!!!

12. Underthebluemoon

We were *supposed* to go to a hotel in Playa Del Carmen, but they had some hurricane damage a few weeks before we were scheduled to come, so we changed at the last minute and went to (gulp) Cancun, the JW Marriott.
    I found it on tripadvisor.com. If you've never been to that site, go. It's really cool, and has reviews from real people who've visited the different hotels all over the world.

While it was a magnificent hotel, the beaches absolutely reaked of exhaust fumes from the wave runners and boats that took the parasailers out. I couldn't even sit on it after the first few days because it smelled so bad. And you could smell it at the pools, too. At one point, I counted 12 wave runners, one big smelly boat and one medium smelly boat, all right in front of our hotel. The boats that took parasailers out rode literally within yards of swimmers heads, to pick up passengers. Very uncool. It was loud and it stunk, and it ruined my beach time. I'm not the back-packy granola type, but it was just too overrun and concrete for my taste, and it felt like we were vacationing in a big giant mall.

I brought every piece of clothing I own, every shoe, every sandal, every purse, every hair product, nail polish, you name it, I brought it. When you drive, it's no biggie, but when you fly, which I hadn't for some time, it's embarassing. I don't know what to bring, so I just bring IT ALL. I saw people with these little tiny suitcases for a whole family. Then there's me, standing there with my piano-sized suitcase. I think I learned my lesson.

You are soooo right about the wearing of the same things over again. Why is that?

But, no, I didn't bring my kitchenwares with me this trip. We ate out every meal, the room didn't even have a frig.

13. Underthebluemoon

I was devastated to find out that there was NO STARBUCKS in Cancun. They had an Outback Steakhouse a Papa John's Pizza, Pizza Hut, but NO STARBUCKS!!!!! I mean, yeah, the whole time I complained about the over-Americanization, but c'mon, a girl needs her Grande Bold with a shot of sugar free vanilla on a daily basis.

Coffee = Life :lol:

14. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

Not to worry. There are two Starbucks in Sandestin alone. Three if you count the Publix shopping center next to the property. :lol: