• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

localguy

Beach Crab
Sep 11, 2015
The neighborhood meeting was a joke. Didnt respect concerns of locals, absolutely no attempt at compromise from developer.

Not in favor of this tasteless strip mall with no regard for surroundings. Will have a major negative impact on the Seagrove community aestheticly, on the wet lands, noise polution, and traffic congestion in the most congested area in SoWal. All things being equal, I think this may top the Hampton Inn proposal as the worst idea of the year

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It was touched on at the Planning Commission meeting which is a new county meeting record of only 23 minutes.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
Video of the meeting came online today: Board of County Commissioners on 2015-09-10 5:00 PM - Planning Commission Regular Meeting - Sep 10th, 2015

The Market discussion starts at approx. minute # 08:55.

Motion carried for continuance to move to next meeting, but discussion and two testimonies occurred. The first was from someone with property within 30-40 feet who came to town because of the hearing - and may not be able to be at the next meeting since he works internationally. His concern was about the variance being asked re: the 250-foot buffer, and a committee member responded that this variance is granted all of the time. (Then why is it in the Code?!) And a Sugar Wood resident spoke against the development.

Of all the restaurants we have experienced in this area, the Hartleys run theirs more consistently and personably than any other. So my concern is not with this project per say (given their great track record), but rather why we as a county have codes that the committee members so regularly disregard to the point that developers buy parcels "gambling" that they will get the variance (word used by the testimony giver as heard from the developer). And then when someone testifies to try and preserve the code within 40 feet of their property, they are cross examined by the Planning Commission with the rationale that this happens all the time (as if to say, "so get over it"). When people buy property here (the testimony giving gentleman has two on the street) it is usually with certain understandings about the Code as it pertains to the parcel they are buying. Our county leadership are doing a disservice to the area and people's personal real estate transactions to allow so many variances. I've only been watching meetings for one month after purchasing property, but I'm pretty surprised to see how things operate around here. We moved here with a bit too rose-colored of glasses, assuming an infrastructure and legal system was in place to protect the beautiful and valuable resource that is all around us.

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
When people buy property here (the testimony giving gentleman has two on the street) it is usually with certain understandings about the Code as it pertains to the parcel they are buying. Our county leadership are doing a disservice to the area and people's personal real estate transactions to allow so many variances. I've only been watching meetings for one month after purchasing property, but I'm pretty surprised to see how things operate around here. We moved here with a bit too rose-colored of glasses, assuming an infrastructure and legal system was in place to protect the beautiful and valuable resource that is all around us.
Indeed this sounds like what happens in most communities. The developers and planners are doing business. For growth to truly be controlled, citizens have to take an active and consistent part in the process.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm surprised the "property rights" folks ever allowed the buffer. It basically determines what someone can do on adjoining property.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I don't know all the specifics of this project, but the property has always been platted as commercial from the very beginning of Seagrove, and I can't imagine anyone expecting a 250' buffer zone within lots that aren't more than 300' or 350' deep to begin with. The Village Market and the Snappy Turtle aren't set back that far from the rear lot lines, so why would anything else built there have to be set back that far?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Having not seen the proposed plan, I'm not sure what that means. Actually, there's been a trend to change that traditional aspect of design, with a more pedestrian friendly front and parking in the back. I agree with Teresa's earlier post that the people involved with this project are long time residents of Seagrove and have an appreciation of this place that far exceeds what many out of town developers bring to this area. A lot of people booed and hissed when the Viridian was built, but now it has become a welcomed fixture to the ever changing landscape.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
The V is OK. I like diversity. Problem is that it is too close to the street. We need more right of way for traffic. And parking is slim.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
O.K. I've just been educated about what this is about. I was under the impression this was about what is going in, at the site of the old Seagrove Village Market. It's actually about the site of the new Seagrove Village Market, which I am clearly unfamiliar with. But, I still would back the Hartleys and think they will always try to do something that will be a good neighbor asset to the community.