1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Seaside Oct. 1 -- Beach and Weather Status

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by toddclement, Aug 31, 2005.

1. toddclement

toddclement Beach Crab

I have been lurking on this message board for several weeks and complement you on your community spirit and general kindness to one another. Tomorrow is the deadline to cancel our week's visit to Seaside. This will be our third year at Seaside and it is indeed a magical place. We were scheduled to arrive the Sunday Emily did as well so our trip was cancelled. Friends who arrived shortly after Emily did not enjoy the beach because of sand erosion and the beach is what our our 4 & 7 year olds live for. We rebooked for our fall break, Oct. 1-7. I have not seen any Seaside beach photos after Katrina. Is the beach still in at least ok shape? Does anyone have insight into normal early Oct. weather? I checked on line and it looked nice. We want to come but if we would be better to wait until May, we will. Thanks to one and all.

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Start in my photo album. You may have to scroll through a few pages of photos to find Seaside pics. They are well-labeled. Kurt also has a few post katrina pics found in the general photo gallery.

3. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

I'm coming fall break!! Can't wait!! "Biting flys" Hmmmmmm I'll bring the Off!

4. suzh

suzh Beach Crab

:lolabove: My family can't wait to pack up and make our Seagrove, Fl Labor day weekend outing! My parents have a house in Seagrove. My family visits quite often. Word has it that labor day weekend is normal despite Katrina. The sand that Katrina brought in is a bonus for the beaches. After Dennis was rather depressing. The only negative in our trip is the gas price. Other than that, I can't wait to dip my toes in the sand and stroll around Seaside, Grayton and Seagrove! I wouldn't see why anyone would cancel their vacation to Seaside and surrounding area. If they do, they are missing out. Nothing has changed!
    Happy Labor Day!

5. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The only negative at Seaside (other than dune aesthetics) is the lack of dune walkovers. There is only one access at this time. Other than that the magic abounds, especially in the offseason.

6. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

toddclement ----
    October is one of our favorite months at Seagrove.
    We're not fans of super hot weather, so it suits us perfectly (except of course for the possibility of storm issues....which can happen anytime!)

It's warm enough then to enjoy all the regular outdoor activities, including swimming, yet pleasant. We also love April and May there....
    We have our entire family joining us in Seagrove from the end of Sept to early Oct. Everyone, from Toddlers to Sr's enjoy it then.

We think the beaches are in much better shape than when your friend was last down there.....we were in Seagrove a few weeks ago and were really relieved to see how much better they looked (not perfect, but definitely an improvement).

Hope your family can make the October trip and that your weather is delightful & that your kids have a safe, fun time in this beautiful place.

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

pk305, I am going to have to teach you some things. In the meantime, you are on my naughty list. Stop spreading these lies about October. :bang: You know that the month of October is mating season for the Alligators and they often come to sun on the beach. The Bull Sharks and HammerHeads always feed close to shore in Oct. Hurricanes often form in Oct. Yellow Flies bite people on the beach, and Dog Flies bite everywhere else. Etc, Etc.

8. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

SJ....no arguments with your facts, as I am a rookie in the critter area....however, my DH tells me I would find a way to have fun for a week in a trash can! Seriously, I don't know about all these things....except I did get attacked/bitten at Seaside beach in 1992 by a mass of flies....which is why I am screening 2 of our Seagrove porches....I sure wouldn't want the grandbabies to go through that!!! ouch!
    Guess I've been lucky....the last 4 years I've been blessed to have spent anywhere from 2-3 weeks of October in Seagrove and have honestly loved it....BUT if I were to bump into an Alligator sunning on the beach it might change my view!! I will try to get off the "naughty" list.... I just always seem to find the good in everything....even October!! You can bet I will be keeping a sharp eye out though for all those critters!! THANKS!! On another note, I am so appreciative of all the wonderful, helpful info from this site & would go crazy (crazier) without it!!

9. PTWizard

PTWizard Beach Lover

I have found the alligators to be quite friendly as long as you avoid their touching their tails. They hate that, especially during the October mating season.

10. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

Thats it ... I'm coming every October from now on.. lol... you can't fool me!! :lolabove:

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Oh SJ...I feel your pain. When will these people learn not to spread falsehoods about the month of OCT?? I had totally forgotten about alligator mating season....heaven help us all!! In the meantime, I have begun packing my survival kit for the Oct. trek...wish me well!

12. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

Quietly whispers that alligator mating season is in May, plus they hide in the shallow backwaters of the swamps to fight for their mates, well away from all people.

Sounds like somebody's trying to hog the pretties. Hey, go for it, but don't confuse the alligators! They'll be in the gym getting buff for mates that aren't there yet!

13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I'd be watching out for that guy in the red sling suit - he might go for your women folk. Probably more aggressive than the alligators.

14. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

He looks like real good bait to me!!! Whoops...for the critters, NOT ME!!!

15. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

You know Sueshore, it is obvious from the comments that the ladies on this board would never let their spouses/sig. others/(or other male family members, including grandpa) out in public wearing a tiny boy suit. I take comfort in that. It is an important part of keeping South Walton beautiful!

16. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

You forgot to mention the hoards of agitated butterflies, flocks of cranky, aggressive midwestern hummingbirds on their way to Mexico & the Caribbean, and gaggles of crazed jellyfish (aren't the 'gators really hungry from all that mating too?).

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I think the classroom is acting up. I am serious Oct is a bad month for you to visit.

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Marine boy, you just think you know everything.The next thing you will be telling me is that the Hammerheads and Bull Sharks don't come in close to shore to feed during the month of Oct in SoWal.

19. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Indeed....we aim to keep our beaches beautiful at any cost. The Visual Pollution caused by these sling wearers mars the view from any angle! But, I must admit it is good for a chuckle...don't you always wonder..."WHAT IS HE THINKING?"!!

20. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

He's thinking 2 things: 1) "If I wear this suit, it will make me look REALLY manly in a certain area", and 2) "Chicks won't be able to tear their eyes away from my enhanced manliness."

What the wearer does not realize is that most chicks are staring and snickering, and the few chicks that ARE drooling are not really chicks, if ya know what I mean.

Or maybe he just drank that giant marg at CoCo's.