1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Seawall installation - behind Seagrove Villas

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by kurt, Oct 12, 2005.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

2. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Re: Seawal installation - behind Seagrove Villas

Yikes :eek: That wall looks huge. I guess unless they tear down the "Inn" they have to fortify it somehow. But the sand that they are backfilling that with is brown dirt. :eek: Not to wish it upon anyone....but....what happens if/when a storm comes thru and blows away the wall and then the brown muck is spread all over the beach?! Maybe there is no other option here?

Thoughts??

3. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

OMG, I am in shock!!!! This is where I have stayed the last 7 years I have been to SoWal. We stay in the 3rd room down from where kurt took this picture, right out the back door. I have tears rolling down my face. I can't believe they are having to do this. The sand looks awful. I have so many mixed feelings about it. I want to be able to stay there again, because we have so many memories there, and I truly love it. However, at what cost. I just don't know how I feel. :confused: :confused:

4. Coast is Clear

Coast is Clear Beach Lover

You think it looks big from this side you should see it from the beach! :eek:

We were on the beach this last weekend, and this was the tallest seawall structure by far. (Though there were many others under construction)

Pretty shocking :shock:

5. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

Do you think this seawall meets the requirement as being placed ?as close to the structure as practical??.

Yesterday I walked by and there was a ?stop order? from the county requiring removal of the red sand.

Check out the pilings to the west of this seawall that I presume are to be used to construct another monster seawall about 30 feet out on the beach.

I also checked out the seawalls at Blue Mountain beach public access-they really intrude onto the beach.

If you have concerns about this you can contact County Commissioner Cindy Meadows at: "Cindy Meadows" <meacindy@co.walton.fl.us>

6. Wastin Away

Wastin Away Beach Lover

Yesterday I walked by and there was a ?stop order? from the county requiring removal of the red sand.

As big of an issue as this has been, beach front owners should know the color of sand that is to be brought on to the beach. IMO, there should be a mighty heafty fine imposed on those owners who are allowing this "dirt" to be placed on the beach for their wellbeing. These requirements are established for a reason and the county should not have to be going out everyday and putting a stop work notice on someones work because of the improper color of the sand. I am thankful our hard earned tax dollars are at work.

7. Snapper Grabber

Snapper Grabber Beach Comber

Is it true that all seawalls have to be covered with sand and planted with vegetation?

8. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    I saw those pilings hi n dry (hi neighbor) over the weekend. Those are for seawalls? The seawalls are wood? Pardon me?

Can someone explain to me what this is all about. I know that even battered concrete seawalls can crumble and fall apart. How will this wood not rot? Covered by sand that can and will get damp? Water (rain, tides) will seep through the sand and wick right into that wood. Won't it? I just don't understand it. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Someone explain. Please. :bang:

9. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

I thought about you the minute I read this , remember it is still the same place that you love and you will make new and wonderful memories here. It does look bad, but that will get filled in and possibly have grass on top?? The charm of that place will surely still remain, just with the lack of sand dunes. WE CAN STILL PAR-TAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seagrove Beach will always be that special place you enjoyed for so many years. :wub:

10. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

my favorite place place to stay in pcb (best western del coronado) got torn down for a condo parking lot - so which is a worse way for it to go, natural disaster or man-made mistake. from the look of the building, even if the seawall holds for next season, you will eventually have to look elsewhere for you new favorite place as this one appears to be having a pretty rough time.
    gotta go, but I feel your pain.

11. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    hi n dry -- is this what you meant? I snapped this pic on Sunday at Seagrove. Those pilings are bizarro.

[​IMG]

12. kathydwells

FYI, the building itself is in great shape despite the fact that the dunes are gone. Natural disaster or man-made mistake, either are a bad way to go if it a place you love. When you get back down there go and take a look at the Villa's, they have been there a very long time, but are kept up very well. Yes, and I too feel your pain AB.

13. kathydwells

It is still the same place that I will always love. I will continue to go as long as I can. I am sure they are doing everything they can to save it. I am very unhappy with the color of the sand as I am sure all of us are, I hope they will be able to correct that. Yes, we can still Par-tay..and I am sure I will for many years to come. And just think, even if it is never able to open up again, at least I can say I met you there the last time I stayed there!!! I try to think positive about everything!! Thanks for your thoughts!

14. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Can't wait to walk down to see Seagrove Villas' seawall tomorrow. Hope I don't forget the digital camera.

Our beach looks great, but I see they've decided to spend our tax dollars to scrape again. How pointless! It will happen naturally. Does some county official approve the scraping so his/her best bud makes money off the scraping?

15. sarahj

sarahj Beach Lover

Sitting here at the computer looking at that awful dirt I am thinking, why are they allowing that to happen? If I had the responsibility of doing something about it I might take a different view. It is just so sad to see and sad to think of any of the beauty of the area being spoiled. :bang:

16. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Money trumps nature every time. But it kind of makes me wonder--if it looks this bad when they didn't get smacked full force by a hurricane, just how bad will it look if they do? I don't think those wood and dirt seawalls will stand up to a good solid shot from a Cat 3--and trying to remove that brown dirt from th beach will be like picking fly poop out of pepper.

17. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

my point exactly - go make some more memories while you can! we would have gone a lot more (1 weekend once a month at least) if we had known what was in store for our place. take a lot of pictures, especially of friends there as they will be scattered at their new favorite places. I hope the seawall works and it stays forever, but nothing is permanent in this dynamic environment. that whole area of the beach will probably end up armored anyway.

18. kathydwells

I plan to, many, many more.

We won't be scattered, we will alway's stay together somewhere!

19. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

TooFarTampa:
    The pilings in your picture are of the preparations to rebuild a public access ramp.

The pilings I referred to are on the beach in front of the property just to the west of and adjoining Seagrove Villas.

20. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

the pilings to west of Seagrove villas