• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PegGep

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2007
Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience with security people on 30-A beaches asking people to leave "private" beaches. I was on the beach in front of the Inn at Blue Mountain Beach and a security guard asked me to either sit in the "wet sand" or I would have to leave. There are signs on the beaches in front of The Retreat, The Inn at Blue Mountain Beach, The Village of White Cliffs and Adagio which announce that these are private beaches.
As a resident of Santa Rosa Beach it upsets me that gulf front property owners are now looking to enforce their ownership rights and the posting of signs along the beach is downright unsettling. Am I the only one that feels this way??

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I dont like it...but I always use public beach accesses so I am never bothered by the "private police"

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
We have had a HUGE problem with that in Destin. In fact, homeowners sued the city to try to prevent the beach renourishment project, which that God will be finished within the week. These home owners called the sheriff on a daily basis, hired beach service companies to run off "unwanted" beach goers and in one section, Holiday Isle, they refused to let the beach cleaning equipment cross "their" property to maintain the rest of the beach.

Signs, fences, etc.

They are using surveys from years ago when we had a much larger beach, etc.

The case filed by the Save Our Beaches, SOB, their acronym, not mine, has been heard by the Supreme Court, but has not been ruled on.

My understanding this case will set be the basis for beach ownership across the state.

A few months back, I posted a link where you could watch the hearing. I will post the decision when it is made. No one knows how long this will take.

For the person who was told to sit in the wet water, I believe the rule is 6 feet from the waterline is public.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The "private" section of the beach is supposedly from the high tide line back toward the dunes. Unfortunately, few people know this. They are just looking for a spot to enjoy themselves.

I have a friend who owns a unit on Sand Trap Road at Miramar. The A-hole who lives next door waits for people to get completely set up in front of his house, then walks out and tells them they are on private property.

If you think about it, there is nowhere you can go and NOT be on private property unless you are in a state park.

IMO, this is a pretty major issue with no easy answers.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I find it a very sad commentary on their lives/personalities that these people have to be so territorial and mean-spirited. I could see asking people to leave an area clear for a special event like a wedding, or even asking people who are being obnoxious to leave if they are somehow interfering w/ your enjoyment, but if you're not actively using the beach, why can't others enjoy it?

For those urgently needing to stake their territory, the easiest way is to put out a chair or towel and plop yourself down. I don't select a beach spot that is already occupied ;-).

This kind of behavior makes me want to channel the most obnoxious beach goer ever and go park myself on the "public" portion!

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
The "private" section of the beach is supposedly from the high tide line back toward the dunes. Unfortunately, few people know this. They are just looking for a spot to enjoy themselves.

I have a friend who owns a unit on Sand Trap Road at Miramar. The A-hole who lives next door waits for people to get completely set up in front of his house, then walks out and tells them they are on private property.

If you think about it, there is nowhere you can go and NOT be on private property unless you are in a state park.

IMO, this is a pretty major issue with no easy answers.

Very interesting topic. Not that I would consider doing this, especially if obviously in front of a private residence, but what would be the ramifications if in the situation above, somebody were to politely refuse to leave. Police? Jail? :dunno:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Very interesting topic. Not that I would consider doing this, especially if obviously in front of a private residence, but what would be the ramifications if in the situation above, somebody were to politely refuse to leave. Police? Jail? :dunno:

There have been similar situations involving the guy I referenced above. Each time, he has called the sheriff and the people on the beach have been asked to move.