• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Robert Leeper

Beach Crab
Jun 16, 2015
Hello. My name is Robert Leeper and I am a longtime visitor to South Walton beaches. I have been coming to this area for over 47 years, since I was a baby. Most of the time, I have stayed at Four Mile Village, and it has had a tremendous, positive effect on me. I am also a Florida realtor who specializes in unique beach town properties, including the 30A area, which I know very well. I am hoping to find a buyer - or a group of buyers - for this very special home in Four Mile Village. I am not the listing agent.

"Come Away" is a spectacular mid-century modern home designed and built in the 1950s by Ed Walline. Mr Walline designed many homes in the region, and they are that typical Florida mid-century beach house style that you would easily recognize. This is - hands down - one of his very best homes, and it is set in the spectacular natural setting of the Coffee Nature Preserve (aka Four Mile Village.) It deserves to be preserved with the help of the right owner - or group of owners.

My goal is that someone (or a group of people) will purchase it and preserve it, and continue to allow people (such as myself, and families that have been going there for 40 years) to continue to stay there. I am determined to find a group of stewards to preserve this home, keep it open to renters, and honor the legacy of Ed Walline and the Coffeens, who created this wonderful place.

My only requests for new buyer(s):
1) the new buyer commits to preserving Come Away and not tearing it down -it could use a sensitive update and it does need a little work, but is definitely livable "as is."
2)allow Come Away to remain on the rental program (which is a great way to offset property taxes) so that people who have been enjoying it for generations can continue to stay there, as well as new visitors who would enjoy the work of Mr Walline, as well as the special natural experience of Four Mile Village and the Coffeen Nature Preserve.

The legacy of Ed Walline and Dorothy and John Coffeen deserves to be honored and protected.

Please let me know if you would like to consider purchasing it, or if you might like to be a fractional owner. I, myself, would be interested in being a part owner.

If 12 families/groups purchased it, it would cost roughly $200,000/family or group. Rentals can cover most of the yearly expenses, and the 12 owners could stay there at least 1 week per year, maybe more, without cost. The home sleeps 8-10 people easily, with 2 master, ensuite bedrooms, and a wing with 4 generous bunk beds, and a fold out sofa. A group of 10 friends could form a group for a remarkable $20,000 each!

My family, friends and I have stayed there many times and it is definitely one of the best homes in Four Mile Village. FMV was developed in the 1940s by Dorothy & John Coffeen, and this house, and several others, are situated in the Coffeen Nature Preserve, which is located next to a wonderful Florida state park/preserve, Topsail Hill State Park. The Coffeens' focus when they developed Four Mile Village was preserving the wonderful natural habitat and connecting humans to nature. When you enter the gate, it's like stepping back in time and the property has a wonderful, natural ambience, and kids can easily roam freely in the development. It's a magical experience for a vacation, and unlike anything else in the region. Typically it would take someone with a very high net worth to purchase this property; by purchasing it as a group, it becomes an affordable venture and a very worthwhile investment (and you get to share the expenses, which is a big plus with a second home.)

The home sits back on the second dune, and has a direct view of the turquoise Gulf of Mexico in the front, and a spectacular view of a rare coastal dune lake in the back. Once you are there, you really don't want to leave and it is a fantastic place for families, retreats or even some time alone with a few friends or colleagues. It is very private and secluded - surrounded with abundant nature.

Here are a few photos on VRBO, and it might be a good idea to stay there if you are considering purchasing it.
http://www.vrbo.com/118317

I would be happy to arrange a showing for you, or anyone you may recommend.

Here is the listing on Zillow:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/137-Twisted-Pine-Trl-Santa-Rosa-Beach-FL-32459/48133617_zpid/

If you are not interested, but know someone who might be, please pass this email onto them. Thank you. Also, if you know someone who might finance it while I am putting together a group of buyers, that would be helpful because homes in this development do not stay available very long, even at this price.

Another option is to form a non-profit such as Friends of Ed Walline and purchase and preserve it. Feel free to contact me through this thread, or by email or phone.

Thank you, and have a great SoWal summer,
Robert Leeper
robertleeper7@yahoo.com
512-751-4642

Attachments

• photo 10.jpg
    photo 10.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 578
  • photo 9.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 597
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 608
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 599
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 630
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 583
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 571
  • bedroom 2.jpg
    bedroom 2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 621
  • interior 1.jpg
    interior 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 585
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
What an amazing opportunity! If I hit the lottery tonight I would buy it "as is" and keep it "as is" forever.. Its my idea of real Florida !!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Update - I just spoke with Robert and he's still looking for someone (or some people to join) to buy and preserve this property. I hope to see it in person soon as I continue documenting Fuller Lake and Four Mile Village.

Julie Cowan

Beach Comber
May 17, 2017
SoWal
www.everychildcanlearn.net
I was raised here and remember the homes, and feel of the early days, of these homes. I would also love to be a part of this but sadly, cannot buy in. I would be willing to care for, manage reservations, greet and check-in, coordinate cleanings...basically manage it in exchange for a discount or few weeks stay when my family visits.