• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Touche' Nice historical shot at Marti Coley, not saying I disagree with it though. She certainly votes to insure she gets a chair.
Brad Drake, Greg Evers, Big and Little Gaetz, Jimmy Patronis are going to do the same thing. I like Marti Coley but those are her words, when she starts representing the best interest of her constitutes instead of the party and the leadership. I'll be seeing them all soon enough.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The thing that chaps me about public officials is how willing they are to sell out the broad interest of the electorate in exchange for a campaign contribution that seems big to them, but is chump change in comparison to the effect they have on thousands, if not millions, of people.

The thing that chaps me about the electorate is that they continue to believe the manipulative stuff that elected officials say to sway their vote, instead of digging into their actual agenda and voting record.

Sen Gaetz is just one of many, but he's a classic example.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Brad Drake, Greg Evers, Big and Little Gaetz, Jimmy Patronis are going to do the same thing. I like Marti Coley but those are her words, when she starts representing the best interest of her constitutes instead of the party and the leadership. I'll be seeing them all soon enough.

I never thought I would be the one saying this, but it really is getting hard to come up with a reason to vote.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
FEMA is making rumblings about not wanting to issue flood insurance in areas seward of the cccl. Currently you can under insure a beach front condo building at a rate of $250,000/unit. Good coverage for a beachfront manch is about a $30,000 annual bill including extra flood insurance. And every time you turn around St.Farm wants another 28% average policy increase. Good Times!

No money for beach restoration projects due to tax base erosion and government officials jockeying for the $$$ that are left. Shoot low boys the enemy is riding shetlands. One question about seawall permitting and construction, when does "temporary" mean permanent?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
FEMA is making rumblings about not wanting to issue flood insurance in areas seward of the cccl. Currently you can under insure a beach front condo building at a rate of $250,000/unit. Good coverage for a beachfront manch is about a $30,000 annual bill including extra flood insurance. And every time you turn around St.Farm wants another 28% average policy increase. Good Times!

No money for beach restoration projects due to tax base erosion and government officials jockeying for the $$$ that are left. Shoot low boys the enemy is riding shetlands. One question about seawall permitting and construction, when does "temporary" mean permanent?

maybe it's in a Walton County dictionary?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

When you've been told before you construct the armoring by FDEP and other agencies that what you are proposing to do will be approved permanently. Maybe some of you should know what you are talking about before trashing beachfront owners who did what they were told they could do and have now waited 5 years for an inept state agency to get its act together and do what it said it would do. Sen. Gaetz is right, at least in this instance. FDEP has proven to be completely useless.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Everyone seems to be missing the point. Without these agencies development as a whole would go completely unchecked except for county commission oversight. Without these agencies a developer can do anything they want with simply a few commissioners in their back pocket. County staffs would face a wall of lawyers for anything they rejected with no state enforcement to back them up! Still want to eliminate these agencies. Where are all our "Coastal conservationist" who beat the drum in sowal?, you should be scared of such legislation to eliminate laws that provide enviormental oversight. The reasons these agencies are ineffective sometimes is, political pressure from special intrest groups are filtered down from the governors office to the secretary's to satisfy political contributors.
The heads of these two agencies need to be elected in a non partisan race in order to serve the people and not the current party in power. Only then will these laws be enforced fairly. I say again, abolishing the DCA and DEP or their state laws are moves that will cost us billions in clean up in the long run! More bills for our children to pay........

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
Everyone seems to be missing the point. Without these agencies development as a whole would go completely unchecked except for county commission oversight. Without these agencies a developer can do anything they want with simply a few commissioners in their back pocket. County staffs would face a wall of lawyers for anything they rejected with no state enforcement to back them up! Still want to eliminate these agencies. Where are all our "Coastal conservationist" who beat the drum in sowal?, you should be scared of such legislation to eliminate laws that provide enviormental oversight. The reasons these agencies are ineffective sometimes is, political pressure from special intrest groups are filtered down from the governors office to the secretary's to satisfy political contributors.
The heads of these two agencies need to be elected in a non partisan race in order to serve the people and not the current party in power. Only then will these laws be enforced fairly. I say again, abolishing the DCA and DEP or their state laws are moves that will cost us billions in clean up in the long run! More bills for our children to pay........

Sorry about that Mr. O. you are right that the issue is of great importance. I went back and read Richards/SWCC post from 2005 between the county and the DCA in regards to the dismantling of the comprehensive plan. It is a very good piece as is the photo journalism piece done during the seawall fiasco.