1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Shades closing

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by skier, Mar 7, 2005.

1. skier

skier Beach Lover

This may not be news to everyone, but I heard this weekend that Seaside is not renewing the lease for Shades so they will be moving to a new location in the future. Not sure when though.

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Sooooo..... They are not closing, just moving :confused: I hope they stay around. The LittleRiverOtters love that place :cool:

3. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

Shades is moving to where the Tuscany Grill used to be--that is the Eastern intersection of 30-A and 98 where the funky cul-de-sac is.

I think (if I've been told correctly) that the owner of Shades also owns the building to where it is moving. Tuscany Grill's lease was not renewed so Shades could move in there.

The building is being remodeled . . . SLOWLY . . . so no telling when it will open.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

AT the moment, i guess Gugliamo owned the hoods, fans, and equipment, which they had ripped out last week. While they may be moving slowly at the moment, I have seen restaurants go from a vacant warehouse with nothing more than an idea of a restaurant to a busy restaurant in less than 90 days. Shades has yet to advertise a new location, which they should be doing if they are moving anytime soon.

5. Camp Creek Kid

Yes, I agree they should advertise. A friend who owns a local restaurant told me about the Shades move and I'm assuming he knows what is going on, but since I haven't seen any signs or anything, I'm not 100% positive (I realize that I could be spreading gossip if it isn't true :oops: ). The reason I said they were slow is because Tuscany Grill closed in September, but they've been doing noticeable work in there for only the past 4 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  6. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Gossip and rumors are rarely seen on message boards. :floor:

7. southof30A

southof30A Beach Lover

Good news on the impending move. That will give Spunky Noodle some casual dining competition on the east end of 30A.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I like the Noodle. I also liked Tuscany Grill too. Sorry to see it go but it was pretty pricy. :cool:

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

For those of you who don't know, the "spunky" noodle is really the Spicy Noodle.

10. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Thanks for posting. :clap_1:

11. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I spoke to the manager at Shades, and he says that it's not true that Shades is moving. However, I have also heard rumors that Seaside is trying to squeeze out all of the businesses in their low-rise structures so that they can tear them down and build high-rise structures to make more efficient use of incredibly escalated real estate values along 30A.

Nevertheless, I hope that the manager at Shade's is being straightforward with us. Shades serves a great fish sandwich and a great catch salad at reasonable prices, and the bar is a fun place to eat and watch sports (and escape the massive number of annoyingly loud rug-rats with their cloyingly adoring parents who frequent Seaside). Somehow I don't think that the ambiance at an Inlet Beach location would be as fun.

Don't get me wrong. I like children, but somehow the parents who bring their children to Seaside appear to think that they have the most adorable children on the planet (even as they allow these children run loops around the tables and scream for more ketchup, much to the displeasure of other diners).

12. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

This is a problem! We always make sure the little Otters have Gameboys, books, something to keep them busy. Heck, we have even pulled off Cafe 30A with them and even received complements on their behavior :oops: :cool:

13. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Although we enjoy the Seaside shops, we have found the area overrun with bikes riding on sidewalks, :eek: Some other town centers along 30-A do not allow bike riding and skateboarding on the sidewalks. Thanks to them!

14. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

So does anyone know what happened to Tuscany Grill? Is it a gone thing? I loved that place :clap_1: and much better than Onano down this way. Not many reasonable and tasty places on the east end and having been raised in an Italian family, the spices at the noodle aren't what I grew up with. They give me indigestion and the service was real slow last time I was there. Been meaning to try Blue by Night , anyone have comments on them?

15. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Yup, it's a gone thing :sosad: We really liked it too. Blue By Night Is real good. You'll probably need reservations for an outdoor table. :cool:

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Tuscany Grill is gone, but Gugliamo has several other restaurants in the area. The closest one to Grayton is located in the little strip mall on the north side of Hwy 98, west of Hwy 393. The name of the restuarant is Gugliamo's. (I may be butchering the name.) It is a white table cloth restaurant -- a bit wierd for a strip mall, but the food is Italian and rather tasty, yet pricey. Another restaurant of his is located in the Outlet Stores, and it is more casual. I cannot remember the name, but it is easy to recognize.

17. Camp Creek Kid

Ciao Bello Pizza

18. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Ciao Bella gets our vote for best pizza in the area.

19. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

Didnt know they were the same owners as Tuscany. Now I know why I liked it so much

20. Seasider

Seasider Beach Lover

The Shades manager I spoke to said it is true that they have the Tuscany Grill spot, but would like to keep their restaurant in Seaside, as well. They have requested renewal of their lease and their fate is up to the landlord, SCDC.