• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Heard over the SO channel, appears to be fatal. Nothing further right now.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Just heard this on Fox News...Said it was at a campground near Destin (Walton Co.). First confirmed a death and later stated extent of injuries not known. How awful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Media in action...CNN says it happened in Ft. Walton Beach, a girl's leg was bitten off and she later died. Shark was believed to be 11 ft. long...no species yet. Beaches were closed. I look forward to hearing from the locals who will be able to set this straight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I was out at Grayton when they put the red flag up about noon. Someone asked the deputy why the beaches were being closed with calm water and he replied there was a fatal shark attack somewher nearby.

CNN is reporting a possible 11 footer took off a 14-year-old girl's leg and she died. They have conflicting info on the location and report it as "Walton County".

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Latest I've heard that it was in Walton County (not Ft Walton Beach):

"Details of the attack near Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park in Walton County and the victim's name were not immediately released. Coast Guard spokesman Shawn McGivern in Mobile, Ala., said authorities were trying to track down the victim's relatives."

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
SHELLY said:
Latest I've heard that it was in Walton County (not Ft Walton Beach):

"Details of the attack near Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park in Walton County and the victim's name were not immediately released. Coast Guard spokesman Shawn McGivern in Mobile, Ala., said authorities were trying to track down the victim's relatives."

I was thinking it might be there but didn't want to speculate. Where did you get this info?

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Oh lord. I was driving around when I heard it on the radio, didn't hear the whole exchange. Sad.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
>>I was thinking it might be there but didn't want to speculate. Where did you get this info?<<

It's an Associated Press release being beamed all across the country and all around the world as we speak.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Jun 25, 3:55 PM EDT

Young Person Dies in Fla. Shark Attack

SANDESTIN, Fla. (AP) -- A young person was killed Saturday in a shark attack near a campground on the Gulf of Mexico, authorities said.

"We have had a confirmed shark attack. The scene is still under investigation," said Darlene Drury, spokeswoman for South Walton Fire-Rescue. Area beaches were closed to swimmers immediately afterward.

Details of the attack near Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park in Walton County and the victim's name were not immediately released. Coast Guard spokesman Shawn McGivern in Mobile, Ala., said authorities were trying to track down the victim's relatives.

Patrick O'Neill, the campground's general manager, refused to comment.

The attack came near the height of the summer tourist season in the Florida Panhandle. Crowds were drawn to the beaches Saturday by temperatures in the upper 80s and high humidity.

"There are a lot of people on the beach," said Mike McKee, front desk supervisor at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Resort and Spa. He said hotels are typically booked to capacity at this time of year.

"This doesn't happen very often at all - very, very seldom," he added.

Florida had the largest number of documented shark attacks worldwide last year with 31.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Fox News said it happened at 11:15 AM. Someone told me that this is an unusual time of day for a shark to be so close to the beach and attack. Is that true, marinebiology451 (or anyone who knows about sharks)?

Status
Not open for further replies.