• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

austintx89

Beach Comber
May 24, 2009
I love how we always get such great help in this forum. Y'all have never guided us wrong! Can someone recommend a place to hunt for shells that's very close to Seacrest? We usually go to Deer Lake, but the shells are sort of hit or miss. Is it good this year? And, I've heard shell island is an all day affair? We have four kiddos under the age of 7, so we need something convenient and easy.

Also, any suggestions on nice locations for family photos close to Seacrest?

Thanks!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sorry not too many shells in SoWal. I have heard about folks buying bags of them and planting them for young kids. Anywhere on the beach is good for photos, just get them playing near the water. If you want posed photos then try a walkover or toe of a dune.

OMG, my mother was absolutely gorgeous and she knew it. So she liked to show it off. We'd go to PCB and Daytona for weeks in the summer, Miami Beach during the Christmas/New Years season (complete with wearing designer gowns for seeing The Supremes with Diana Ross at The Fontainebleau), and spring break in the Clearwater/St. Pete area.

She loved shell hunting. So when in PCB, we always took the boat to Shell Island. Hot as hell. It was miserable for me. But she got to show off her "figure." LOL.

As a tangent, Daddy always liked to drive over to the 30A area and look at property. He negotiated for huge beachfront acreage. Mom and I thought he was crazy. So he didn't purchase it.

Our MAJOR loss. :bang:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Great shells are found over in Apalachicola! The ridge just off shore here keeps the big shells from coming up. There's so many shells just East of us, that you should wear shoes on the beach!

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
One day, the kids that found the bounty of shells planted by their parents in SoWal will grow up and wonder what happened to all the shells that used to wash ashore here.

We've had a bit of wind lately, blowing up more sand, covering many shells. However, you can still find shells on the beach here. Just be more open to what kind of shells you will find. They will be smaller in size, and maybe only bits and pieces, but those are still treasures.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
If you do go to shell island , there are lots of shells. My advice would be to go early in the am, then you get first pic. Also after a storm or big surf more shells turn up. We spot big ones in the water a few feet and go grab them with nets...kids are great for that.

The biggest negative at shell island for kids is that there are no facilities...no restroom, no drinks etc. We took a tour boat over one year, and this year stayed at the marriott that takes to a different side of the island. But the tour boat drops off by the jetty area and it was great for snorkeling and finding lots of live olive shells, even saw a horseshoe crab. This last trip saw an alligator by the dock!