• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
Can anyone direct me to a good place for the kids to pickup a few shells from the beach? We are staying in Seagrove.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
wintersbk said:
Can anyone direct me to a good place for the kids to pickup a few shells from the beach? We are staying in Seagrove.

There are very few in the area, except after storms. You might find a few. Mostly just pieces. Sometimes there are small sand dollars, and lots of sand dollar pieces.

Sometimes, with very small kids, folks will bring some to the beach and scatter them so the kids can find them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Sometimes, with very small kids, folks will bring some to the beach and scatter them so the kids can find them.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Maybe you could buy some shells, take to the beach, for your kids to "pretend" to find some shells. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
You would be just as well off by buying little green army men and WAIT! stop that thought.

Rather than looking for shells, many kids spend their time with a crap net searching for crabs and sand fleas.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
Smiling JOe said:
Rather than looking for shells, many kids spend their time with a crap net searching for crabs and sand fleas.

CRAP net, huh?!?! :eek: Never heard of such. I think we'll stick to looking for shells. :blink:

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
wintersbk said:

I love looking for shells and that's the only thing I miss in SoWal. There are very few shells on the beach. We took the kids on a dolphin cruise to Shell Island in Panama City. There were lots of shells there. If we do it again though, we'll skip the cruise and take the Shell Island Shuttle. You can stay as long as you want that way. If you go on the cruise you only have about an hour on the island.

You will have to buy crab nets when you get to the beach. The kids will love them. Mine always try to catch the small fish but the fish are way to fast for them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wintersbk said:
CRAP net, huh?!?! :eek: Never heard of such. I think we'll stick to looking for shells. :blink:
I am sorry. The "crap" net is for the doggy people, but bags work better. To catch the crabs, the "crab" nets will be more useful.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We always leave on Friday night so that we have the whole day Saturday. This year we're going to head down to Mexico Beach area to look for shells and dolphins before we head over to Grayton and checkin (not before 1:00).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
Where are the areas near Mexico Beach or other areas within a reasonable drive to find shells? Are there easily accessible public beaches for shelling?

Thanks.
From Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day, Mexico Beach area is not a "reasonable" drive, unless you awaken with the Sun and get there early. From Grayton Beach, Mexico Beach will take you about 1hr 15 min driving time without any traffic. With traffic, maybe closer to 2+ hrs - each way. Of course driving to the shell store will not take as long, but it is not the same type of adventure.

I remember walking a beach on the island of St John, and the entire beach was shells, no sand, and mostly undisturbed. Oh what joy it was. There were too many great looking shells, and I ended up not taking any -- too many choices, and not enough pockets for the long hike.

KansasBorn/30ABound

Beach Lover
Apr 9, 2005
Atchison, Kansas
What about Shell Island? When we were down there two summers ago we took a charter from Panama City out to Shell Island. We picked up quite a few shells and the boat ride was kind of fun for the kids as well.