• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Idle, Danny Griffith isn't tied to RJ, other than they both came from the highway patrol. I am voting for Mike, because I like him AND he is the Republican candidate. :cool:

Uhh,Shallows, I just have to ask (you know I can't help it).

Why on earth does political party affiliation matter for the sheriff's office?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Uhh,Shallows, I just have to ask (you know I can't help it).

Why on earth does political party affiliation matter for the sheriff's office?

You know that's the question I normally ask. But I'm a Republican, and this is the first time in a decade that my party matches the party of the candidate I choose to support for Sheriff in the general election. I feel whole again.

$100 poorer, but whole. Let's boogie. :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Because registered republicans vote and registered democrats don't.

I guess you have never lived outside of Walton County? I'm sure people from larger metro areas will get a chuckle out of this comment. :lol:

You know that's the question I normally ask. But I'm a Republican, and this is the first time in a decade that my party matches the party of the candidate I choose to support for Sheriff in the general election. I feel whole again.

$100 poorer, but whole. Let's boogie. :D

I get why you want to, but for people who know nothing about either candidate, just pulling the lever in a sheriff's election because of party affiliation is the pits.:bang:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I get why you want to, but for people who know nothing about either candidate, just pulling the lever in a sheriff's election because of party affiliation is the pits.:bang:

If you had only been here four years ago...:roll:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Let me get this straight.....The deputies are required to drive their car home in case they are called out for an unannounced sheriff's office emergency in the middle of the night.....and then the cookin' sheriff is charging the deputy $100 for fuel to drive the car home????????????????? :bang:Please.... will somebody do something about this guy! Is their any type of legal action these poor deputies can take against this guy without getting fired? I may be wrong but how can an employer take any type of $$$$ out of someone's paycheck without prior approval from the employee? If I was a deputy, and I'm having to pay money for fuel to patrol the streets....Then I would use the car to go buy groceries, get a haircut, Dr. Appt's , etc...

The ability for a law enforcement officer to take a car home (this does include trips to the store, etc.) is called the Indianapolis Plan. It allows this use of vehicles to take place.

Early on, starting with Bill Imfeld, this topic came up, as several WCSO employees were taking County cars (marked and unmarked) home,... to Alabama. One, a Captain, drives about 75 miles each way to the office. Questions came up about insurance and other concerns as it is not normal for an officer who lives out of the County, let alone the State, to take County Vehicles home. (Now, add in the economic times with gas, and you have a real issue).

This was a campaign issue right from the start. Many law enforcement agencies tackled this problem head on, starting in late 2007, by issuing a "fee" to those who CHOOSE to take their vehicles home. This fee was designed to "off set" the extra expense due to wear and tear, gas prices, etc.

The big difference here is that RJ's fee, as I have been directly told by those affected, is NOT an OPTION. You work for the SO, you will pay the fee. Many officers wanted to leave vehicles at the station and commute to work. This is very common in large cities where departements have multiple (three or more) shifts and one car per shift. Officers pass the car along after their shifts. With our large expanse of area to patrol, this is not feasable.

RJ is mandating all pay the fee. This is wrong and unjust (criminal?).

If it was done correctly, why should an officer who lives five minutes from the substation pay the same as the Captain who drives over 75 miles because she chooses to live in Alabama and not the State or County where she works?

The administration is out of control and they have no regard or concern for the citizens of Walton County, nor their feet on the street employees. This is a disgrace. I have heard he (RJ) has made threats to fire those who do not pay.

w

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Dispatcher has coolest car

Does the female dispatcher still have the cool sports car? Does she pay $100? Why would a dispatcher even have the ability to be issued a County Vehicle? These are some good questions that posters on the NW Florida Daily sight have asked. I don't know the answers.

Additionally, there has been talk of an investigation. I know that several State Agencies have looked into things, but what has the final determination/adjudication been?

FDLE?

Ethics Board?

Election Board?

Anyone else?

What else has to happen before action is taken?

Does anyone know the name of the dealership where these new cars came from? I've got an idea. ;-)

w

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The simple fact is that in this election cycle - the "Big Blue Bashers" - "Big Blue Bus" crowd fielded exactly one candidate in a major race. In addition their turnout was 10 PERCENT lower than the republican turnout. When the Dems finally field someone then they will be able to choose a candidate to support.

I have lived in NY - does that count as a metro ?

If you want to talk about NY Politics -- I'm game.

Last edited:

eagle11rb

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2008
I have sat back and read what everyone has to say about the recent memo from Sheriff Johnson and thought about what it means to me and now I have to speak. I write this as a current Walton County Sheriff?s Deputy.

If you are reading this in hopes that I will bash Sheriff Johnson then you need to stop reading now. I am just going to try to give the facts as I see them. Don?t get me wrong I am not here to defend the Sheriff. I have talked to many other deputies and everyone should understand if I don?t mention any names.​

We (deputies) are very upset about this situation. One fact is that I first heard about the new vehicle charge from the public. Tuesday night I was reading through some of the comments on Sowal.com and read that we were going to be charged $100 a month for all WCSO vehicles. That is unacceptable!! I didn?t even hear it from the man that made the decision to take money from me by force. If it had come to this then the least Sheriff Johnson could do is tell us himself. In my opinion the right thing to do would have been for him to talk to all of us and explain that a vehicle usage fee may be enacted. He also should have asked us if we have any possible solutions. Most of the deputies of WCSO are very intelligent individuals and may have been able to give some good ideas but that was not an option.​

Next fact, I am one of the deputies that live out of county. I live in Okaloosa County with my family because it is where I can afford to live so losing $100 more a month is a big deal. I have read comments about deputies should count our blessing that we have a car to drive to and from work everyday and trust me we do. But the fact is that it is not as simple as driving a company car to and from work everyday. I speak from personal experience. I have stopped to check on people that were broken down on Hwy 285 in Okaloosa County in the middle of nowhere on my way to work. I have stopped with car accidents out of Walton County to make sure no one was hurt and to call local law enforcement on my way home from work. I have directed traffic around a car broken down in the road on the middle of the mid-bay bridge. These are just a few of many examples of times that I have used my patrol car on the way to or from work. I can guarantee that if you ask ANY deputy they will tell you that they have done the same many times. I have also had people come to my house seeking help just because they know a cop lives there because of the patrol car in the drive way.​

I did not write this to change anyone?s opinion of the situation I just felt that some facts needed to be said. To all my fellow deputies keep your heads up high and continue doing the great job that everyone knows you do, and BE SAFE.​

I too am a deputy that lives out of county, however I live in Walton County and work in Okaloosa County. I too have help numerous Walton residents and others needing help along Hwy 20 and other areas. Thats why we are law enforcements officers to help others in need no matter where we live or where we work. My neighbors dont care what agency I work for they like having the patrol car in the neighborhood. (however living out of State, I think thats kinda of pushing it too far) Our Sheriff supports his people and is well like in the Okaloosa community thats why is he starting his 3rd term. We do pay a fee for using our patrol car when working off duty details. We are paid $25.00 per hour and $2.50 of that goes to the Sheriff--for gas and oil, etc. which I think is fair. To my fellow Walton deputies hang in there after Nov things will get better. Be Safe!