• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

springfield4

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2007
I was perusing the Walton County website for the STVR certification process and looking at the FAQs. You learn something new everyday.
Under question #35 - Can I rent out my carriage house as a vacation rental and live in the main house?
Response: Walton County Code Appendix C, Chapter II, 2.02.00 (Zoning Districts Established) clearly states that Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) shall not be available for short-term vacation rentals. You could live in your ADU (Carriage House) and rent out your main dwelling without going through the certification process. However, all Federal, State, and County registrations, licenses and life safety requirements must be met with respect to your main dwelling.

It is against Walton County code to rent out a carriage house as a short term vacation rental. Walton County's definition of short term vacation rental:
Short-term Vacation Rental: A public lodging establishment consisting of any unit, group of units, dwelling, building, or group of buildings within a single complex of buildings, which is rented to guests more than three times in a calendar year for periods of less than 30 days or one calendar month, whichever is less, or which is advertised or held out to the public as a place regularly rented to guests. The following are excluded from this definition:
1. Any dormitory or other living or sleeping facility maintained by a public or private school, college, or university for the use of students, faculty, or visitors.
2. Any hospital, nursing home, sanitarium, assisted living facility, or other similar place. 3. Any unit or group of units in a condominium, cooperative, or timeshare plan.
4. Group homes as defined in Chapter 419, F.S.

TinaMidland

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2020
inlet
I was perusing the Walton County website for the STVR certification process and looking at the FAQs. You learn something new everyday.
Under question #35 - Can I rent out my carriage house as a vacation rental and live in the main house?
Response: Walton County Code Appendix C, Chapter II, 2.02.00 (Zoning Districts Established) clearly states that Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) shall not be available for short-term vacation rentals. You could live in your ADU (Carriage House) and rent out your main dwelling without going through the certification process. However, all Federal, State, and County registrations, licenses and life safety requirements must be met with respect to your main dwelling.

It is against Walton County code to rent out a carriage house as a short term vacation rental. Walton County's definition of short term vacation rental:
Short-term Vacation Rental: A public lodging establishment consisting of any unit, group of units, dwelling, building, or group of buildings within a single complex of buildings, which is rented to guests more than three times in a calendar year for periods of less than 30 days or one calendar month, whichever is less, or which is advertised or held out to the public as a place regularly rented to guests. The following are excluded from this definition:
1. Any dormitory or other living or sleeping facility maintained by a public or private school, college, or university for the use of students, faculty, or visitors.
2. Any hospital, nursing home, sanitarium, assisted living facility, or other similar place. 3. Any unit or group of units in a condominium, cooperative, or timeshare plan.

Interesting! I cant believe this got put in there -however when I read what a short term rental is for the definition, carriage house can be considered a unit?? Is it saying carriage house is considered ADU and will have other requirements and restrictions? Confusing

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
In Seaside there many homes with a secondary unit behind it. Some are carriage houses, but most are a 2 story 'tiny' house. I guess they would be ADUs? That impacts a lot of owners. We have stayed at a main house and the tiny house behind it. The owners are from TN. (We are staying there one more time. In September. Rates are so high that we can't justify it. Sad. Ellen

TinaMidland

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2020
inlet

After being on a couple other sites, one person said the Planning dept plan to change wording in the code on this about carriage house

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
I understood it to mean that the carriage house can be rented as part of the house, but you can't rent the house and the ch as 2 separate rentals at the same time. In other words, the ch is included in the rental of the main house.