• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should Code Enforcement Proactively enforce Walton County Codes?

• Yes

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Currently Walton County Code Enforcement works in a reactive mode. This requires an actual complaint from someone to cause any action from the county.

At a recent BCC meeting CM and SC starting talking about a change in policy to a proactive enforcement board. This would mean the county would be divided into zones and code officers would patrol these areas looking for code violations and working with people to bring their properties into compliance.

I am curious as to people's opinions on such a change. It will be discussed next Tuesday at the BCC meeting.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Currently Walton County Code Enforcement works in a reactive mode. This requires an actual complaint from someone to cause any action from the county.

At a recent BCC meeting CM and SC starting talking about a change in policy to a proactive enforcement board. This would mean the county would be divided into zones and code officers would patrol these areas looking for code violations and working with people to bring their properties into compliance.

I am curious as to people's opinions on such a change. It will be discussed next Tuesday at the BCC meeting.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but didn't Santa Rosa County do this and now they are having to lay off the majority of people hired after Ivan:dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yeah, I don't want our tax dollars paying for gas so they can spend all day cruising the county looking for kid's lemonade stands!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What good are laws if they aren't going to be enforced? You don't see the Sheriff's Deputies sitting around a table at the Sheriff's Station, waiting for calls. They are out patrolling the streets.

One of the specific examples of this which was brought up at the last BCC mtg was the issue of the signs being placed all over the Right of Way. The comment was made that Code Enforcement drives by all of the signs everyday, and don't do anything about removing them, unless someone calls in a complaint. There are other needs for Code Enforcement to at least patrol to some degree. No one is requesting a police state. I can think of plenty of examples of Code Violations which the Code Enforcement never sees when they are complaint driven only. One day, you may buy a house which is settling into the wetlands on which it was illegally built, and you will wonder why, thinking that the County wouldn't allow people do illegally fill in wetlands to build a house.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
What good are laws if they aren't going to be enforced? You don't see the Sheriff's Deputies sitting around a table at the Sheriff's Station, waiting for calls. They are out patrolling the streets.

One of the specific examples of this which was brought up at the last BCC mtg was the issue of the signs being placed all over the Right of Way. The comment was made that Code Enforcement drives by all of the signs everyday, and don't do anything about removing them, unless someone calls in a complaint. There are other needs for Code Enforcement to at least patrol to some degree. No one is requesting a police state. I can think of plenty of examples of Code Violations which the Code Enforcement never sees when they are complaint driven only. One day, you may buy a house which is settling into the wetlands on which it was illegally built, and you will wonder why, thinking that the County wouldn't allow people do illegally fill in wetlands to build a house.

One problem with that scenario, a house that's illegally built doesn't get a C/O, and therefore no electricity!